Diet Manual Test
1. Surgical Soft
4. Full Liquid
5. Clear Liquid
_____a. Diet used for swallowing disorders. Often only thickened liquids are allowed
_____b. Transition diet between clear and soft, can have milk products.
_____c. Moderate in texture, spices and fiber.
_____d. Foods of baby food-like consistency are prepared
_____e. Liquid diet that produces little residue and should be used for short periods of time. Jell-O juice
and broth can be served.
_____f. Ground meat is used.
7. Which would you choose for a soft diet (circle one for each letter).
A. White or whole wheat bread
B. Carrot sticks or steamed carrots
C. Apple slices or apple sauce
D. Creamy or chunky peanut butter
8. In a gluten restricted diet, all forms of wheat, rye, oats and barley are omitted. Which of these would
not be allowed:
A. Whole wheat bread
D. Cream of rice cereal
9. Which of these sweets are not allowed in a low fat diet:
A. Angel food cake
C. Plain sugar candy
D. Three vanilla wafers
10. Describe dysphasia and what diet will the Food and Nutrition department follow?
11. List the four liquid consistencies
12. List the three main groups of foods which contain carbohydrates
13. Plan a full one day menu for a patient requiring three carb choices at each meal and one car choice
snack at HS. Include portion sizes.
14. What are the two common NA restrictions used at St. Francis?
15. Which one is more restrictive?
16. Which of the following would NOT be considered a fluid?
17. List three specific ways to increase the fiber in a patient/resident’s diet?
18. Provide at least three grains and starches that must be avoided for Gluten restricted diets. Also, list
three grains that are allowed on a Gluten restricted diet.
19. On a cool, clear, liquid diet, what foods are NOT given?
20. Can a Renal diet have salt or salt sub?
21. In a Cardiac diet, which of the following foods would you want to decrease intake?
A. green beans
C. pork chops
22. List three foods that contain potassium.
23. In a Gastroesophageal Reflux diet (GERD), what foods should be avoided?
24. What type of diet would you give the following foods to: Apple, whole wheat pasta and prune juice.
A. high-fiber diet
B. low- fiber diet
25. What food group is avoided or decreased in a lactose- controlled diet?
26. What is another term for Celiac’s disease?
27. True or False A gluten free diet is only temporary.