CONNECTING TO PBS AT HOME
The following instructions guide you through the process of installing the software needed to
connect to the PBS [request spell-out] circulation system using your home computer. After
installing the dial-up networking (group of connected computers) [recommend delete for clarity]
connection and TinyTerm software, the instructions direct you through the process of connecting
to the system. This provides fast and convenient access to the system for information and reports
[recommend delete one: redundant]. Basic knowledge of computers and software installation is
needed to perform the following tasks.
To begin installation, you need the following:
1. TinyTerm emulator software [bulleted list!]
2. Windows software (usually included with your computer)
3. Modem and phone line connected to your computer
4. Diskette with the hosts file
Installing the Software
To install the software to connect to PBS systems, follow these steps:
1. Installing dial-up networking [no periods] [make numbered list]
2. Setting up TCP/IP protocol
3. Creating the dial-up connection
4. Copying the hosts file
5. Installing and configuring the TinyTerm software.
Warning: Before beginning the installation process, close all open programs on your
computer to ensure that you will not lose any information.
Installing dial-up networking. Follow these steps to the install the connection software:
1. Double-click the My Computer icon on your desktop.
2. Double-click the Control Panel folder, and then click the Windows Setup tab.
3. Click on Communications and then on the Details button.
4. Check the Dial-Up Networking option, and click OK when finished.
Note: You may be prompted for your original Windows installation diskettes or CD.
Setting up TCP/IP protocol. Follow these steps to set up the TCP/IP protocol (set of signals
which determine how computers communicate on a network) [recommend: delete for
clarity]needed to connect to the PBS system:
1. Double-click the My Computer icon on your desktop and then on Control Panel folder.
2. Double-click the Network icon and click the Add button.
3. Click Protocol and then the Add button.
4. Click Microsoft in the Manufacturers box, and then TCP/IP in the Network Protocols
5. Click OK to close the Network box, and restart your computer.
Creating the dial-up networking connection. Follow these steps to create the dial-up
networking connection for the PBS system:
1. Click on the Start menu, and then select Programs, Accessories and then Dial-Up
2. Double-click on Make a New Connection, and follow the prompts to add a connection.
3. Name your new connection PBS, select your modem, and click Next.
4. Leave the Area Code field blank, enter 238-0616 in the Phone Number field, click
Next, and then Finish.
5. Right-click on the PBS icon in the dial-up networking window.
6. Click TCP/IP in the Network Protocol section.
7. Click OK until you are back to the dial-up networking window.
Copying the hosts file. Follow these steps to copy the hosts file to the windows directory:
1. Insert the hosts file diskette into the floppy A: drive.
2. Copy the hosts file to c:\Windows directory.
Installing the TinyTerm software. Follow these steps to install TinyTerm:
1. Insert the TinyTerm CD in the drive and the setup will begin.
2. Follow screen prompts, and enter the company name, serial number, and activation key
exactly as it appears on the CD.
3. Continue to click Next until the files start to copy.
4. Restart your system when prompted that TinyTerm has been installed.
Configuring the TinyTerm software. Follow these steps to configure TinyTerm:
1. Click on the Start menu, then select Programs, Century, and Application Developer.
2. Click Configure on the menu bar.
3. Click Communications, complete the fields as shown in Figure 1, and click OK to
Figure 1. Communications Setup
4. Click Configure from the menu bar.
5. Click Emulation, and change Terminal Emulation to WYSE60, and click OK.
6. Click General, Show Session Bar (to take the check off) for the full view, and OK to
Connecting to PBS
To connect to the PBS system, perform the following steps:
1. Click on the Start menu, and then select Programs, Accessories, and Dial-Up
2. Double-click on the PBS icon.
3. Click the Connect button and minimize the Dial-Up Networking window after the
connection is complete.
4. Click on the Start menu, and then select Programs, Century, and Application
5. Log in to the PBS system.
Note: Connection time and system speed will be slower during peek times of the day.=72