DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Position is three quarters time: four days a week. Responsible for the planning, development and
management of a comprehensive development program, including individual, corporate/business,
organization gifts; foundation gifts; major gifts; capital gifts; designated/special project gifts and
planned giving. Personally cultivates donors and donor groups, and prospective donors and donor
groups. Makes personal contacts and requests for gifts. Coordinates and manages a variety of tasks
simultaneously; mobilizes and motivates others to participate in development projects. Supervises the
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
1. Develop and implement annual fundraising plan to include individual and business contributions,
grants and foundations, and special events. Create and maintain fundraising calendar and track
status of progress and successes.
2. Identify new funding opportunities and potential donors and initiate communications. Maintain
positive relations with current donors through personal phone calls and contacts.
3. Work closely with Board and Executive Director to maintain and cultivate positive relations with
current and potential donors and build the donor base. Personally responsible for making a
minimum of 12-15 face to face visits with donors per month. Assist executive director and board by
making initial contacts and helping to arrange their follow up visits with potential donors.
4. Make personal contact and requests for gifts with the goal of significantly increasing the level of
donor support for the organization. Can include cold calls.
5. Work with the Executive Director to manage the marketing, communication and public relations
functions of the organization.
6. Identify appropriate camp needs and projects for specific funders and make appropriate requests.
7. Make presentations to companies, civic and business groups and others.
8. Oversee the work of the Development Manager with grant-writing and donor prospecting and to
ensure that all donors’ gifts are appropriately and quickly recognized and that all donor files,
tracking and record keeping systems are maintained and kept current.
9. Serve as staff support for the Development Committee, working with committee chair on
development of committee vision, agenda setting, note taking, and accomplishment of strategic
10. Maintains day-to-day operations of development office.
11. Responsible for planning and implementing special fundraising events
At a minimum, have a bachelor’s degree in a related field; the ideal candidate will have a graduate
degree in fundraising;
At least three years experience in the development/advancement field with a proven track record in
securing major gifts;
Candidates must possess self confidence, poise, and an outgoing, pleasant personality that will
generate enthusiasm among donors and volunteers for our mission;
Must have upbeat, optimistic personality and be skilled at problem-solving;
Must work closely with executive director and board as a partner and support in donor cultivation;
Effective communication skills both interpersonal and public speaking;
Supervisory and budget development experience;
Computer competence, with fund raising software experience;
Experience or knowledge of annual fund and endowment fund development and planned giving;
Must be highly organized with a keen sense of time management and able to juggle multiple
Position is part-time; four days a week. Competitive salary and benefit package. Equal opportunity
Interested candidates should submit their cover letter and a resume by no later than August 10, 2012.
Please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls.