Writing in the Content Area
Content Writing is Necessary
• Standardized Testing
• Curriculum Changes
• Student Needs
Teaching Writing = ANXIETY
• Content teachers need to know …
– why writing in the content area is important.
– the fundamentals of composition and how to
– how to use writing as a learning tool in a
social studies classroom.
A Powerful Learning Tool
• Content teachers need to assign more
• Content teachers need to help students to
develop a writing process.
• Writing demands …
Students who write about content retain
• Use writing as a mode of learning.
• Writing must be an intrinsic part of the
• Use writing to learn and to retain course
Writing as a Focus of Instruction
• Use writing to …
– focus students when viewing videos.
– focus students for instruction.
– focus students’ interpretation of documents.
• Even simple writing assignments require
students to master content.
– Students must understand and transmit
content to an audience.
– Students will comprehend what they read.
– Students will revise their writing to achieve
greater content accuracy.
• Short journal entries enable students to …
– organize their thoughts before a class
– increase their writing fluency.
– focus their reading preparation.
– focus on the main idea of the lesson.
– personalize content for deeper understanding.
• require structure
• require a formality of language
• require a writing process
• Use an audience other than the teacher.
– a government leader
– a newspaper
– a national figure
– a person involved in a historical event
– a fictional diary or journal entry
– a fictional letter about an experience
• The most difficult aspect of teaching writing.
• You are the writing expert in your content area.
• Provide primary objectives for the
• Catching every grammatical error is not
the primary focus of evaluation.
• Facilitate peer revision.
• Engage in teacher conferencing.
• What sort of writing do you require?
• How do you prepare your students for
• How do you evaluate student writing?
• Why is it important for students to write in
a social studies class?
• A student with writing skills is a more
• A teacher with an awareness of writing
instruction is a more efficient teacher.
• The need for writing in the content area is
• Writing transforms notetaking into a
process requiring sophisticated abstract
• Writing opens your classroom to the world.
• Writing is not the English teacher’s job;
writing is an efficient tool of learning in any