Rainforest Web Quest Task #5
Project Name: What is a plant’s role in the rainforest?
Subject Area: Science
Timeline: 3-4 days
Grade Level: 5th grade
Content Area Objective: Students will identify and explain the adaptations of plants to their
environment and the effects of their biological cycles within the ecosystem.
Content Area TEKS: 112.7. Science, Grade 5
(5.5) Science Concepts. The student knows that a system is a collection of cycles, structures,
and processes that interact.
(5.9) Science Concepts. The student knows that adaptations may increase the survival of
members of a species.
Technology Objective: Students will acquire information from the Internet and create and
present a multimedia PowerPoint slideshow that includes text, graphics, animations, and
Technology TEKS: 126.3. Technology Applications, Grades 3-5
(1) Foundations. The student demonstrates knowledge and appropriate use of hardware
components, software programs, and their connections.
(2) Foundations. The student uses data input skills appropriate to the task.
(3) Foundations. The student complies with the laws and examines the issues regarding the use
of technology in society.
(4) Information acquisition. The student uses a variety of strategies to acquire information
from electronic resources, with appropriate supervision.
(5) Information acquisition. The student acquires electronic information in a variety of
formats, with appropriate supervision.
(6) Information acquisition. The student evaluates the acquired electronic information.
(7) Solving problems. The student uses appropriate computer-based productivity tools to create
and modify solutions to problems.
(9) Solving problems. The student uses technology applications to facilitate evaluation of
work, both process and product.
(10) Communication. The student formats digital information for appropriate and effective
(11) Communication. The student delivers the product electronically in a variety of media, with
Computer lab with Internet access
Microsoft PowerPoint software
Activity 1: Students will research information about plants and what their role is in the
rainforest using the Internet resources listed in the web quest and complete the Research
Worksheet. The teacher should remind the students to include the URL of the site where they
found their information in the “Source:” area of each box.
Activity 2: Students will plan out their presentation by creating storyboards using the
Presentation Storyboard. The teacher should model how to plan out a slide using a storyboard.
Students should be shown how to draw boxes where graphics and text will go with a label to
indicate what will be inserted in those areas. Students should have a separate storyboard for each
slide. The presentation should include a title slide, a slide for each box from their Research
Worksheet, and a bibliography slide. Each slide should include text with appropriate font and
color, a background color or design, a picture from the website they got the information from (or
possibly clipart if necessary), a transition, and animation for their graphics and/or text.
Activity 3: Students will develop their PowerPoint presentation from their storyboards and
Research Worksheet. Students should be able to present their presentation to the class in an
Research Worksheet 20 points
Complete 10 points
Accurate 10 points
Presentation Storyboard 20 points
Complete 10 points
Accurate 10 points
Presentation 60 points
All information from Research Worksheet included 15 points
Title slide 5 points
Bibliography slide 5 points
Pictures/clipart – each slide 10 points
Transitions – each slide 5 points
Animations – each slide 10 points
Appropriate font/color/use of white space – each slide 5 points
Appropriate background color or design – each slide 5 points
What is a plant’s role in a
What does it do or provide
for the environment, other
plants, and animals?
How are plants surviving in the rainforest? List a couple of adaptations some plants use to help them survive.
Presentation Story Board
Name of group members:
Use this area to sketch out your slide.
Transition: Background color or design: ____________________________
Color: Size: Font:
Animation: ________________________________ Animation: ________________________________