INSTITUTIONAL COVER/SUPPORT SYSTEM FOR FIRE SPRINKLER PIPING
PART I - GENERAL
The piping cover/support system must be a snap-lock assembly which, once assembled, renders the cover essentially
irremovable with the use of ordinary tools.
Submit copies of manufacturer’s specifications, installation instructions, and product data.
PART II - PRODUCTS
Steel cover support system for fire sprinkler piping such as THE SOFFI-STEEL™ System [by Grice Engineering toll
free: (800) 800-3213].
1. All pipe support devices must have been tested by an NFPA, recognized independent laboratory for suitability with
the intended application, and must be so listed.
2. UL listed steel hanger. Low profile hanger for securement of steel and listed CPVC sprinkler pipe.
3. UL listed copper coated hanger for securement of copper tubing.
4. Zinc plated spring steel shield clips of the size recommended by manufacturer, for securement of the cover.
1. The piping cover shall be decorative in appearance and shall be made of 18-gauge stainless steel with a #4 finish,
or in accordance with the material specifications as checked below. The piping cover shall have a snap-lock
interfacing with the shield clips such that once assembled, it is rendered virtually irremovable with the use of ordinary
2. Cover manufacturer shall be staffed with a licensed engineer having a minimum of five years experience with such
3. The cover shall be sized in accordance with requirements to accommodate the specific pipe size as specified by the
project engineer and to accommodate the specific sprinkler device specified by the project engineer.
Note to Specifiers: Other options available
Stainless steel with #4 finish – 16-gauge • 20-gauge • 22-gauge • 24-gauge
Cold rolled steel (CR) – 16-gauge • 18-gauge • 20-gauge • 22-gauge • 24-gauge
Heavier gauge steel by special order.
[Finishes available with cold rolled steel]
• Paintgrip galvanized [treated for painting] of ASTM A527 G90–U lock forming quality
• Baked enamel paint – Off White • White • Other Colors
4. L-Design and/or U-Design shield cover (5.0 ft. sections) for sidewall and/or pendant installations respectively.
5. Cover joints shall be overlapping/interlocking integral joints with provision for securement utilizing steel rivets. *Rivet
spacing shall be at no greater than 1.25 inch intervals along the joint and positioned at a distance no greater than 0.5
inch from the end of the overlapping section.
6. Cover design shall include a "groove" at the interfacing of the cover and the construction surface to facilitate the
application of sealant/adhesive compounds and enhance the security of such compounds from dislodging.
* Rivets required for institutional projects only – not required for commercial (hotels, dorms, etc.) projects.
1. The system shall include tamper-resistant end caps, prefabricated corners, wall flanges, couplings and other items
which may be necessary to complete the system, and shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s
2. The system shall include a spacer ring at the point of each sprinkler outlet to preclude intentional "gapping"
between the sprinkler escutcheon and the cover.
PART III - INSTALLATION
1. The sprinkler contractor/engineer must determine the piping and sprinkler layout, including sprinkler head locations
and pipe support locations (based on pipe manufacturer’s specs). Indicate areas on drawings where cover system is
to be used.
2. Select appropriate fasteners for the substrate encountered to adequately secure the pipe and cover system.
3. To ensure the cover is linear and snug-fitting when installed, it is imperative that its support devices are anchored
squarely and firmly against the structural surface in a straight line.
4. Guidelines for installation of the modular cover/support system shall be supplied by the manufacturer of said system
and the installing contractor shall adhere to the manufacturer’s guidelines.
5. Manufacturer shall supply on-site installation instruction by a qualified installation instructor for a minimum of one
day for the project start-up.
6. The completed installation shall be visibly searched for voids between the interfacing of the cover and the
construction surface. Voids shall be sealed with:
• Sikadur® 51, 2 Part Epoxy
• Sikaflex® TR, 2 Part Epoxy
• Sonneborn Ultra Polyurethane Sealant
10-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
Grice Engineering, Inc. warrants that products are free of material and workmanship defects for a period of ten 
years from the delivery date of the products and that any defective products will be replaced without charge by Grice
Engineering, Inc. provided Grice Engineering, Inc. and/or their authorized agent is given the prior opportunity to
inspect any alleged defect and to examine the installation and use thereof.
Except as set forth herein, Grice Engineering, Inc. makes no representations or warranties, express or implied, of
any kind or nature, including, but not limited to, any representation or warranties that Grice Engineering, Inc.
products are merchantable or fit for any particular purpose. The warranty set forth does not apply to and under no
circumstances will Grice Engineering, Inc. be liable for, any incidental, indirect, special or consequential damage,
loss, penalty or expense of any kind, including, but not limited to, any expense incurred for product removal or
re-installation. Grice Engineering, Inc. will not be liable for any damage to or defect in any Grice Engineering, Inc.
product which has been subject to misuse, neglect or accident, or which has been stored, used or installed in violation
of recommended installation or maintenance procedures.