FAIRFAX AREA AGENCY ON AGING
VOLUNTEER JOB DESCRIPTION
POSITION TITLE: Meals on Wheels Driver
1. Pick up meals at a predetermined location between 10:30 a.m. and 12
p.m. (Except Bailey’s Crossroads which has a 2 p.m. pick-up time).
2. Use the proper equipment (hot box and cooler) provided by Meals on
Wheels to minimize the risk of food spoilage.
3. Ensure the meal count correlates with the client number for the day’s
4. Ensure the meal is delivered to clients or designated representatives
(Meals are not to be left at an unanswered door).
5. Be available to drive and/or deliver meals within in the times decided upon
by the route coordinator.
6. Notify the appropriate contact if unable to drive as scheduled, allowing as
much time as possible to find a substitute.
♦ Client Contact:
1. Maintain client confidentiality
2. In case of an emergency, call 911 then follow group specific instructions.
♦ Volunteer Responsibilities:
1. Have a valid driver’s license.
2. Have car insurance meeting Virginia’s standards.
3. Have valid vehicle registration including license plate tags and inspection.
4. Wear seat belt in accordance with Virginia law.
5. Ensure all passengers are also in compliance with seat belt laws.
♦ Five to ten hours per month or more depending on number of routes for a
minimum time commitment of one year.
Page 1 of 2
♦ Computer literacy very helpful but not required.
♦ Attention to detail.
♦ Good organizational skills.
♦ Coverage under Fairfax County secondary liability insurance program.
♦ Mileage reimbursement for all business related expenses.
♦ Regular issues of “Volunteer Vibes,” a newsletter for volunteers.
Page 2 of 2