MIAMI-DADE COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
CLASS TITLE: ESE Placement Specialist SCHEDULE: AO/CO JOB CODE: 1543
DEPARTMENT: Designated District/Regional Center Offices & Schools DATE: 8/20/07
The Placement Specialist for Exceptional Student Education (ESE) programs assists the
Instructional Supervisor for Special Education and the administrators in the Division of
Special Education with the regional center/district level activities related to the delivery of
instructional programs and services for exceptional students.
1. Serves as the Local Education Agency (LEA) representative for the Assistant
Superintendent, Office of Special Education and Psychological Services, when a
determination of initial eligibility, initial placement, change of eligibility and/or
placement, manifestation determinations/expulsion reviews, adding or deleting
supplementary aids and related services, and dismissal of exceptional students is
2. Reviews psychological evaluations and other pertinent records prior to Individual
Educational Plan/Educational Plan (IEP/EP) team meetings, Mediations and Due
Process Hearings to assure that procedures outlined in the Policies and Procedures
for the Provision of Specially Designed Instruction and Related Services for
Exceptional Students have been adhered to.
3. Completes all required forms related to eligibility and placement of exceptional
education and/or Section 504 students.
4. Assists the IEP/EP team in identifying the range of placement options and
determining the least restrictive environment.
5. Makes referrals to FDLRS-South, outside agencies, professional organizations,
support groups, websites, and/or region/district staff when additional diagnostic data,
services or additional information is needed.
6. Provides professional development through inservice training and individual support
7. Requests transportation services as needed for assigned schools.
8. Monitors reevaluation staffings and the transmittal of required documents to the
regional center/district office.
Job Code 1543 – ESE Placement Specialist
9. Provides follow-up services related to implementation of the IEP/EP/Section 504
Accommodation Plan and/or mediation agreement and maintenance of required
records (including cumulative and electronic records) at the school level, monitoring
records for compliance with federal, state and district mandates.
10. Provides follow up services relative to inclusion practices for individual students
and/or school wide implementation.
11. Monitors the need and proper utilization of 1:1 paraprofessionals.
12. Explains procedural safeguards and assures compliance with due process
procedures at all IEP/EP/Section 504 meetings.
13. Participates and prepares cases for District Placement Review Committee Meetings,
Mediations and Due Process Hearings.
14. Performs related work as required or as assigned by the supervising administrator or
This work requires the following physical activities: sitting, mobility, lifting, finger dexterity, grasping,
repetitive motions, talking, hearing and visual acuity. The work is performed primarily indoors.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
1. Master's degree in Exceptional Student Education with certification in one or more
areas of exceptional student education is preferred.
2. Minimum of three (3) years teaching experience.
3. Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written forms.
4. Experience in writing IEPs.
5. Knowledge of the referral, evaluation and placement process.
Prior revision date(s): 5/03/02