PRESIDENTIAL DECREE 1185
DEFINITION OF TERMS
- Remove/neutralize fire hazard
- Agent of the owner; manages the building
- Fuel + Oxidizer used to set off explosives
CELLULOSE NITRATE/NITRO CELLULOSE
- Highly combustible/explosive cmpd. (nitric aid + cellulose)
CELLULOSE NITRATE PLASTIC (PYROXYLIN)
- Any plastic substance with cellulose nitate
COMBUSTIBLE, FLAMMABLE OR INFLAMMABLE
- Materials easily set on fire
- Free burning fiber (cotton, oakum, hay, straw, etc.)
- Liquid w/ flash pt. ^37.8 deg.C (100deg.F)
- Liquid w/c causes fire when in contact w/ organic matter/chemicals
- Vertical panel of non-combustible/fire-resistive materials attached
and extending below the bottom chord of roof trusses; divide the
underside of the roof to several compartments so that heat and
smoke will be directed upwards to a roof vent.
- Any material w/c produces rapid drop of temperature to its
- Device installed inside an airduct w/c automatically closes to restrict
smoke or fire.
- Raising temperature, cooling & condensing to produce a nearly
- Continuous passageway for transmission of air
- Finely powdered substance when mixed w/ air and ignited will cause
- Extremely hot, luminous bridge formed by the passage of electric
current across a space between 2 conductors due to the
incandescence of the conducting vapor.
- Hot piece or lump partially burned, still oxidizing w/o the
manifestation of flames.
- Final coasting of a surface (ornamental or protective)
- Active principle of burning
- Building unsafe in case of fire
- Visual/audible signal, device or system; warn the occupants or fire
fighting elements of presence/danger of fire.
- Fire resistive door
- condition/act which increase probability of fire; delay/hinder/interfere
fire fighting, safeguarding of life & property.
- Portion of road/publicway kept opened/unobstructed for fire fighting
FIRE PROTECTIVE & FIRE SAFETY DEVICE
- Built-in protection system (sprinklers, automatic extinguishing system,
heat/smoke detectors, warning system)
- Personal protective equipment (fire blankets, helmets, fire suits, gloves)
FIRE SAFETY CONSTRUCTIONS
- Design & installation of walls, barriers, windows, vents, means of egress;
treatment of building components with flame retardant chemicals; to
minimize danger of fire and safe evacuation of people.
- Minimum temperature a material gives off vapor to form ignition.
- Metal is heated prior to changing shape/dimension
- Stable explosive compund; explodes by percussion
- manufacturing, fabrication, conversion w/c uses/produces materials
that cause fires or explosions.
- Passageway from one building to another or through or around the
wall in approximately same floor level.
- Box/cabinet where fire hoses, valves and other equipment ware
- Cylindrical device where fire hose is wound and connected
- Rocket or liquid propellant
INDUSTRIAL BAKING & DRYING
- Industrial process of heating materials to remove solvents/moisture,
and fuse certain salts to form uniform glazing on the surface of
- Piece of metal or conductor used to bypass a safety in an electrical
- Intended use/purpose of a building
-Any person occupying/using a building (or portions) by virtue of
lease contract/permission with the owner/administrator
- Strong oxidizing organic compound w/c causes fire when in contact
w/ combustible material under condition of high temperature.
- Use of electrical appliances/devices beyond the designed capacity of
existing electrical system.
- Person who holds the legal right of possession or title to a
- Yields oxygen; stimulates/supports combustion.
PRESSURIZED/FORCED DRAFT BURNING EQUIPMENT
- Type of burner where pressurized fuel is discharged to combustion
chamber which includes fans for introduction of air.
PUBLIC ASSEMBLY BUILDING
- building/structure; 50 or more people congregate/gather/assemble
- street, alley, strip of land unobstructed from ground to sky intended for
- Ignites spontaneously when exposed to air
-partial distillation & electrolysis; removing impurities/deleterious
materials from mixture
- Automatic closing doors; confines smoke & heat; delays spread of fire.
- Melting/fusing metal ores; separate impurities from pure metals.
- Integrated network of hydraulically designed piping with outlets w/c
automatically discharges water when activated by heat.
- Vertical pipes to which firehoses can be attached on each floor; includes
system where water is made available to outlets as needed.
- Passage hall/antechamber between outlet doors and interior parts of
- Vertical space/passage extending from floor to floor, base to top of the
SEC 5. GRACE PERIOD = 2 YEARS
(Compliance with Fire Safety Constructions, Protective
and Warning Systems as Prescribed by the Director
SEC 6. RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE ENFORCEMENT OF
FIRE SERVICE >DIRECTOR GENERAL of the
Integrated National Police
a. Implements Regulations
b. Reorganize Fire Service
d. Enter into MOA w/ other departments, offices,
corporations, agencies & private institutions
IMPLEMENTING RULES &
GENERAL SAFETY REQUIREMENT
FOR BUILDING, STRUCTURE OR
FIRE SUPPRESSION DEVICES,
EQUIPMENT OR SYSTEMS
FIRE SAFETY CONSTRUCTION
FIRE PROTECTION AND
AIRCRAFTS SERVICE STATION
- That portion of an airport were flammable liquids are
stored or dispensed
AUTOMATIC FIRE SUPPRESSION SYSTEM
- Integrated system of underground or overhead piping
connected to extinguishing agent actuated by automatic
detecting device to suppress fire.
- Temperature at which liquid is transformed to vapor
CHIEF OF THE LOCAL FIRE SERVICE
- Official duly designated to head the local Fire Service (in
cities or municipalities, the Station Commander of the
Integrated National Police)
CLASS A FIRE
- Combustible materials (wood, cloth, paper, rubber &
CLASS B FIRE
- Flammable liquids and gases
CLASS C FIRE
CLASS D FIRE
- Combustible metals (magnesium, sodium, potassium, etc.)
- Pipeline system filled with water and connected to a
constant water supply for the use of Fire Service and
occupants of the building solely for suppression purposes.
COMBUSTIBLE FIBER LOOSE HOUSE
- Isolated structure where loose fibers are stored.
- Tank, vat, container of flammable/combustible liquid in which
articles or materials are immersed for the purpose of coating,
finishing, treating, or similr processes.
- pipes not filled with water; water is introduced thru Fire Service
- Building, structure or facilities used for the storage of explosives,
shells, projectile and ammunition.
FIRE ALERTING SYSTEM
- Fire alarm system transmitted to designated locations instead of
sounding a general alarm to prevent panic.
FIRE PROTECTIVE ASSEMBLY
- An assembly incorporated in a structure designed to prevent the
spread of fire (dampers, curtain board, fire stoppers)
FIRE RESISTANCE RATING
- Time duration a material can withstand the effect of hundred fire
- A wall designed to prevent the spread of fire w/ fire resistance rating
of not less than 4 hours and structurally stable.
FLAME SPREAD RATING
- Time w/c flame will spread over the surface of a burning material.
- Compound/mixture w/c improves fire resistant quality of fabrics
and other materials.
HAZARDOUS FIRE AREA
- Land covered with dry grass, cogon, reeds, brush and other highly
combustible growth that fires are likely to occur and hard to
- Buildings, structures, facilities 15 meters or more in height.
MEANS OF EGRESS
- Continuous unobstructed route of exit from any point in a building,
structure or facility to a public way.
- Maximum number of persons that may occupy a building, structure
or facility or portions thereof.
- Liquid mixture of binders (alkyd, acrylic…) w/c when spread on
surface becomes protective and decorative finish.
- Mechanical device consisting of linkages and a horizontal bar across a
door, which when pushed from the inside will cause the door to
open and facilitate exit from a building, structure or facility.
- Rooms where baled, bundled or piled materials are segregated into
desired sizes or groups.
- Air compartment or chamber w/ one or more ducts are connected to
form part of an air distribution system.
SMOKE DEVELOPED RATING
- density and volume of smoke developed within a certain period of
Theaters Dance Halls
Assembly Halls Club Rooms
Auditorium Skating Rink
Exhibition Halls Gymnasium
Restaurants Bowling Facilities
Churches Pool Rooms
Terminals of Air Armories
Surface Underground Passenger Stations
Recreation Piers Marine Public
Court Rooms Transportation Facilities
Child Day Care Facilities
Homes for the Aged
Mental Care Institutions
One- & Two-Family Dwellings
Lodging or Rooming Houses
Office for Lawyers, Doctors, Dentists and other
City or Town Halls
Factories of all kinds Gas Plants
Dry Cleaning Plants Sawmills
Power Plants Laundries
Pumping Stations Creameries
Truck and Marine Terminals
Bulk Oil Storage
I. MIXED OCCUPANCIES
2 OR MORE CLASSES OF
OCCUPANCY IN ONE BUILDING
CANNOT BE CLASSIFFIED IN ANY OF
THE PRECEDING OCCUPANCY
Piersand Water-Surrounded Structure
Vehicle & Vessels
Underground Structures and Windowless
DEGREE OF HAZARD
- probability that a building, structure or
facility may catch fire
LOW ………….. 1
MEDIUM …….. 2
HIGH ………… 3
VERY HIGH … 4
DEGREE OF HAZARD DEPENDS
UPON THE FOLLOWING FACTORS :
1. Construction Materials
2. Combustibility of Contents
3. Type of Occupancy
4. Load Capacity or Number of Occupants
5. Height from the Ground Level
6. Longest Horizontal Travel Distance
7. Fire Safety Construction
FIRE SAFETY IN
MEANS OF EGRESS
PROTECTIVE ENCLOSURE OF
3 STORIES OR LESS – 1 HOUR FIRE
4 STORIES OR MORE – 2 HOUR FIRE
1. TRAVEL DISTANCE TO EXITS
INDIVIDUAL ROOM (Not more than 6 Occupants) –
MAX. 15M from any point of the room to
2. WIDTH OF ANY WAY OF EXIT ACCESS
- MIN. 71 cm
3. NO DEAD-ENDS IN EXCESS OF 6M
4. SINGLE DOOR WIDTH - MIN. 71 cm
(Fire Exit) - MAX. 122 cm
Width = MIN. 2/3 of the door width
Height = MIN. 76mm
= MAX. 112mm
5. HEADROOM (Ceiling Height) = MIN. 2.30M
CLASS A CLASS B
(100 Persons) (60 Persons)
1.Width 112 cm & greater 76-112 cm
(Outside Ramps = MIN.120 cm)
2. Slope 8-10% 10-17%
3. Maximum height
between landings No Limit 3.66M
4. Capacity in persons (modified)
Down 60 45
Up 45 45
CLASS A CLASS B
1. Minimum width clear of all 112cm 112cm ; 91cm
obstruction except handrails w/c where total
may project MAX. 89mm each side occupancy of
& stringers may project MAX. all floors served
by stairway is less
38mm each side. ---------------------- than 50 persons.
2. Maximum height of risers -------------- 19cm 20cm
3. Minimum width of tread exclusive of
nosing or projection ----------------- 25cm 23cm
4. Winders------------------------------------ None None
5. Minimum Headroom ------------------- 2M 2M
6. Maximum height between landings -- 2.75M 3.70M
7. Minimum dimension of landings in
direction of travel --------------------- 112 mm 112mm
8. Doors opening immediately on stairs NO NO
without landing (width) --------------
TREADS, RISERS & HANDRAILS
2R + T = 60cm to 63.5cm
Min. No. of Risers in 1 Flight = 3
Treads width variation = max. 5mm
Tread less than 25cm --- 25mm Nosing
Handrails - Height = 76cm to 86.5cm
- Setback (from the edge) = 25mm
(NOTE: Stairways more than 223mm width shall have
Vertical Balusters (spacing) = max. 15.25cm apart
Longitudinal Rails (top and bottom) = max. 25.5mm