Invitation for Bids (IFB)
Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
Ministry of Health
Primary Health Care Project – Purchase of Medical Equipment
Date: 30 September 2006
Loan No: F/ETH/PRI-HEA/98/42
SPN No.: ICB/PHCP/ADF/04/2008
1. This Specific Procurement Notice follows the General Procurement Notice for this
project, which appeared in Development Business Issue No. 560 dated 16th June 2001.
2. The Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia (FDRE) has received a loan from the
African Development Fund towards the cost of the Primary Health Care Project, and
intends to apply part of the proceeds of the loan to cover eligible payments under the
contracts for the supply of Medical Equipment for 80 Health Centers. Bidding is
open to all bidders from eligible member countries as defined in the ADB’s Rules of
Procedure for the Procurement of Goods and Works.
3. The Ministry of Health, on behalf of the FDRE, now invites sealed bids from
prospective bidders for the supply of Medical Equipment for 80 Health Centers under
the following lots:
Lot Description Bid Security Amount
I Microscope 5,000.00
II Centrifuge 10,000.00
III Sterilizers 70,000.00
IV Medical Refrigerators 150,000.00
V Laboratory and Pharmacy Equipment 10,500.00
VI Examination, Treatment, MCH, OR & 250,000.00
4. Interested bidders may bid for one or more lots.
5. Bidders should bid for complete lot(s) (i.e. for 100% of the items in the respective
lot(s)) and bidders who submit bid for partial lots will not be considered by the
6. Complete set of bidding documents (and additional copies) may be purchased from
the Ministry of Health, Office of Secretary of the Tender Committee, located at
Address below, upon payment of a non-refundable fee of Birr 200 (Two Hundred
Birr) or its equivalent amount in a freely convertible currency for each set, payable to
the Ministry of Health A/c No. 0160101011900, National Bank of Ethiopia. Interested
eligible bidders may obtain further information and inspect the bidding documents at
the same address.
7. The instruction to bidders and general conditions of contract contained in the bidding
documents comply with the Bank’s Standard Bidding Documents for the Procurement
of Goods, July 2000.
8. Bids shall be valid for a period of 120 (One Hundred Twenty) calendar days after bid
closing and must be accompanied by a security deposits in the amount indicated in the
table under item 3 above or its equivalent in a freely convertible currency in the form
of bank guarantee, CPO, irrevocable letter of credit, or certified check issued by a
reputable bank acceptable to the Purchaser.
9. Bids shall be delivered to the Ministry of Health to the address below before 2:00
p.m. local time on December 1st 2008. Bids will be opened at the same office and at
2:30 p.m. local time on the same date of bid closing in the presence of bidder’s
representatives who choose to attend.
Ministry of Health
Office of Secretary of Tender Committee
Wereda 3, Kebele 53, Sudan Street
Tele: +251-11-5151790 / 5535156,
Fax: +251-11-5512691 / 5535166
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia