The Declaration of Independence
1. What has made this declaraction necessary, according to the first paragraph?
2. What, according to the second paragraph, are among the unalienable rights of
people? Under what circumstances may a government be changed or abolished?
Where does this government get its power?
3. Name some of the abuses of which the makers of the declaration declare George
4. What does this doecument “publish and declare” in the final paragraph?
5. Whay do you think Jefferson says “the pursuit of Happiness” rather than merely
6. After listing the colonists; grievances (paragraphs three-twenty-nine), Jefferson
makes clear the fact that they have tried using peaceful means to draw the king’s
attention to their plight. What is the purpose of this statement?
7. What is the purpose of the last paragraph?
8. Is the tone of the last paragraph in keeping with that of the body of the
Declaration? Why or why not?
9. What emotional effect is conveyed in the final sentence? What particular words,
by both their sounds and meanings, contribute to the creation of this effect?