CONSULATE OF ITALY
535 Griswold, Suite 1840
Detroit, MI 48226
U.S. students who wish to apply to Italian Universities in order to take only a few courses (Corsi Singoli) for
only one year or one semester, must apply through the Italian Consulate, and NOT to the Universities
In order to be eligible for admission the student must:
a) have completed at least two years of College, with admission to the third;
b) be enrolled in a U.S. College or University as a FULL TIME STUDENT;
c) have adequate knowledge of Italian language.
Students may apply to only ONE University. The Exact address of the Segreteria of the University must
be provided by the student. Said information, as well as more detailed information, is available through the
web site of the Ministero dell’Istruzione, dell’Università e della Ricerca www.miur.it.
The Student Office of the Consulate of Italy in Detroit can process applications of students enrolled in U.S.
Universities located in the States of Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee and Kentucky.
Students must submit the following documents to the Italian Consulate by no later than August 20, 2009 for the
year-long or the first semester and no later than December 15, 2009 for the second semester:
1) Application addressed to the “Magnifico Rettore” of the University, completed in triplicate and then signed
before a Consular Officer. Applicants must include a telephone number, address in Italy as well as an e-mail
address where they may be reached (see attached form);
2) Official statement* (on University letterhead bearing the signature of the President or the Registrar and the
Seal of the University) stating that the student is enrolled at the University as a full time student, has
completed at least 2 years of study, with a minimum of 60 credits, has obtained admission to the third year
(Junior Year) of University study and that the student will return to the University in order to complete the
degree program after the period of study in Italy. The Signature of the Registrar must be legalized by a
Notary Public and further verified with an APOSTILLE, issued by the Secretary of State;
3) A current OFFICIAL copy of their transcripts of grades*, signed by the Registrar and bearing the seal of the
College or University;
4) three passport size photographs;
5) U.S. passport (only the photo page and personal data) and driver’s license. (Notarized photocopy of each
6) A postage-paid U.S. Mail International Express Mail envelope with the exact address of the University to
which application has been made must be provided.
7) Typewritten translation into Italian of the Official Statement and Transcript of grades. Translations must be
complete, accurate and clearly typed. Translations of transcripts must show grades exactly as they are in the
originals (i.e., A, B..). The APOSTILLE does not require a translation.
*The Official statement and transcripts must bear:
1. The seal of the school and original signature of the President or Registrar, signed while in the presence of a Notary
2. Original signature and seal of witnessing Notary Public complete with an acknowledgement or jurat statement
(EXAMPLE: Acknowledged before me in _County_, _State_, on __date__.) In the States of Ohio and Tennessee the
signature of the Notary must also be verified by the Court Clerk for the County in which the Notary operates by means
of a “NOTARIAL ACKNOWLEDGEMENT” will be applied on the document;
3. Subsequent verification of the Notary’s signature with an “Apostille” issued by the Secretary of State for the State in
which the document was issued. (Apostille instructions are below).
The United States of America and Italy are parties to the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961, which provides for the reciprocal
recognition of certifications, so long as certain conditions have been met.
In many cases, documents such as powers-of-attorneys, wills and the like, may be signed and notarized and then certified for use in Italy
by means of the affixation of an Apostille in place of having them certified by an Italian consular authority.
The Apostille is always required on documents issued by U.S. authorities and agencies and is issued by the Secretary of State of the
state in which the document is executed. The Secretary of State's office is located in the state capital.
For further information on the Apostille, including a list of offices in the U.S. for the affixation of Apostilles, consult the
Department of State web site.
Michigan Department of State
Office of the Great Seal
in person only : 108 W. Washington Square, Lansing, MI 48918
by mail: 7064 Crowner Blvd., Lansing, MI. 48918
Tel. (517) 373-2531
Home page: http://www.sos.state.mi.us/greatse/index.html
also in Detroit:
in person only: Detroit New Center SUPER! Center, 3046 W.Grand Blvd., Ste. L 650, Detroit, MI
Ohio Secretary of State
180 East Broad Street, 15th Floor
Columbus, OH. 43215
Tel. (614) 466-2585
Home page: http://www.state.oh.us/sos/election_services.htm
Indiana Secretary of State
201 State House
Indianapolis, IN. 46204
Tel. (317) 232-6531
Secretary of State
150 New Capitol Building
Frankfort, KY. 40601
Tel. (502) 564-7330
Home page: http://www.sos.state.ky.us/
Secretary of State
312 Eight Avenue North
6th Floor - William R. Snodgrass Tower
Nashville, TN. 37243
Tel. (615) 741-3699
Home page: http://www.state.tn.us/sos/
NOTE: DOCUMENTS PRESENTED WITHOUT THE REQUIRED “APOSTILLE” CANNOT BE ACCEPTED AND
WILL BE RETURNED.
Please do not detach the documents from the apostille, doing so will
render the document null and void.
The deadline and requirements ARE MANDATORY; no student, under any circumstances, will be admitted without
complying with them.
The Consulate of Italy will forward the completed application for Corsi Singoli to the University in Italy. It is the
student’s responsibility to contact the University in order to verify acceptance and to inquire about the Italian
language proficiency test.
Students must obtain a student visa prior to leaving the U.S. Visa application requirements are available at
our website: www.consdetroit.esteri.it.
For further information please contact this Consulate at email@example.com or tel. (313) 963-8560 ext. 21
fax (313) 963-8180).
THE PRESENTATION OF AN APPLICATION TO THIS CONSULATE DOES NOT GUARANTEE ADMISSION TO THE
ITALIAN UNIVERSITY. ADMISSION DECISIONS WILL BE MADE EXCLUSIVELY BY THE ITALIAN
STUDENT VISA (CORSI SINGOLI)
Students must obtain a student visa prior to leaving the United States, however, since THE STUDENT OFFICE
AND THE VISA OFFICE ARE TWO DISTINCT AND SEPARATE DEPARTMENTS additional
information is available on line at www.consdetroit.esteri.it – Travel to Italy- VISAS.
PLEASE NOTE: Students must apply for Corsi Singoli at the Italian Consulate which has territorial jurisdiction
over the State wherein the currently attended College is located.
Students, however, may apply for a Student Visa:
1) either at the Italian Consulate which has territorial jurisdiction over the State wherein the attended
U.S. College is located (and where their application was submitted);
2) OR at the Italian Consulate with territorial jurisdiction over the State of their permanent legal
3) Students must indicate ON THEIR APPLICATION the Italian Consular Office where they intend
to apply for a Student Visa.
A) a student who permanently resides in Michigan and is enrolled at Loyola University in
Illinois must apply for Corsi Singoli at the Consulate General of Italy in Chicago and may
apply for the Student Visa either at the same Consulate General of Italy in Chicago OR at the
Consulate of Italy in Detroit;
B) a student who permanently resides in Illinois and is enrolled at the University of Michigan
must apply for Corsi Singoli at the Italian Consulate in Detroit and may apply for a Student
Visa either at the same Consulate of Italy in Detroit OR at the Consulate General of Italy in
IMPORTANT: THOSE STUDENTS WHO INTEND TO TAKE CORSI SINGOLI WHILE IN ITALY WITH IES, MUST APPLY
THROUGH THE CONSULATE OF ITALY WITH TERRITORIAL JURISDICTION. UPON COMPELTION OF THE PRE-
ENROLLMENT PROCEDURE, THEY CAN PROCEED WITH THE STUDENT VISA APPLICATION. IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO
WAIT FOR THE ACCEPTANCE LETTER FROM THE ITALIAN UNIVERSITY, AS IT IS IN ALL OTHER CASES.
(Corsi Singoli application to follow)
DOMANDA DI ISCRIZIONE A CORSI SINGOLI
CITTADINI NON COMUNITARI RESIDENTI ALL’ESTERO
ANNO ACCADEMICO 2009-2010
Al Magnifico Rettore dell’Università degli Studi di __________________________________________________
AL Direttore di: ______________________________________________________________________________
Il/la sottoscritto/a (1) __________________________________________________________________________
Name and Last Name, printed as they appear in passport.
di cittadinanza _______________________________ nato/a a _________________________________________
Citizenship Place of birth: City, State or Province and Country
il ____________________________________ residente in ____________________________________________
Date of birth (DD/MM/YYYY) Permanent address: City, State and Zip Code
Contacts: e-mail _____________________________________ Tel. _____________________________________
Iscritto all’Università di ________________________________________________________________________
U.S. University where you are currently enrolled
chiede l’iscrizione ai seguenti corsi singoli PER L’ANNO ACCADEMICO 2009/2010
________________________________ ______________________________ ___________________________
A tal fine allega:
1. Certificato di frequenza rilasciato dall’Università statunitense, legalizzato e tradotto in italiano;
2. Dichiarazione di valore in loco;
3. 2 fotografie, firmate sul retro di cui una autenticata dal Consolato competente;
4. 1 fotocopia del passaporto (solo la pagina con la fotografia ed i dati anagrafici);
5. Altro: ________________________________________________________________________________
Dichiara che il proprio recapito (*) in Italia sarà nella città di: __________________________________________
Via/Piazza ____________________________________________________________________ n. ____________
presso _____________________________________________________________ Tel. _____________________
*Please indicate your address in Italy
Il / la sottoscritta dichiara:
- di essere a conoscenza che il permesso di soggiorno per studio non può essere modificato per fini di lavoro
- di essere in possesso della copertura economica richiesta:
- di essere in possesso di copertura assicurativa per cure mediche e ricoveri ospedalieri secondo quanto previsto dalla legge
italiana o di impegnarsi a stipulare un contratto per tale copertura assicurativa al suo ingresso in Italia;
- di assumere l’impegno di presentarsi alla Questura entro 8 (otto) gironi dall’ingresso in Italia per il rilascio dell’idoneo
“permesso di soggiorno per motivi di studio” esibendo il visto d’ingresso per motivi di studio rilasciato dalla
Rappresentanza italiana competente al fine di iscriversi ai corsi singoli presso l’Università/Istituzione Afam per l’anno
- di impegnarsi, se non ammesso, rientrare nel paese di residenza alla scadenza del permesso di soggiorno .
Data: ______________________ Firma: ___________________________________________________