Greetings from second grade! I know this will be a positive year for your child as we build on past successes and learn
new things in second grade. With home and school working together, your child’s academic and social skills will become even
stronger throughout the year. Below is some important information about our class:
1. Our school hours are 7:45 - 2:45. Please make sure your child arrives on time each day. Students may start arriving at
2. Please let me know how your child will be getting home from school. If there is a change in your child’s normal way of
transportation, you must submit a signed note informing me of this change that I will turn into the office. Changes in
transportation via email will not be accepted. Handwritten notes for absences must be turned into me within three days of your
3. Your child may bring lunch or purchase a school lunch. Please see the cafeteria for more information on various payment
options. Second graders will have snack time each day at approximately 9:30. Please refer to Barnette’s healthy snack policy
located on the Barnette Second Grade Wiki
4. Our specials schedule this year will go on a 5 “day” rotation. Please note: the days of the week do not always coincide with
the 5 “day school rotation. A copy of the “day” rotation can be found on the Barnette Website under the Parent Information tab.
5. Homework: For first quarter- Your child will be required to read 20 minutes per night and record the title, pages, and
parent signature in their planner every night. Math homework will be given on Tuesdays and Thursdays. One reading response
will be required per week which will be due on Friday. Our spelling program will start in October.
6. B.E.S.T. Folders- Every child will receive a blue folder which will go home daily. This folder will contain your child’s daily
behavior report, homework, “Thursday folder contents”, and any school wide communications. It MUST BE SIGNED EVERY
NIGHT in addition to their planner.
7. I will need several parent volunteers throughout the year to assist with classroom small group instruction, and other various
activities. If you are interested in helping please fill out the Parent Volunteer Form which was placed in your welcome packet
and I will contact you soon to set up a schedule.
8. For the safety of all of our students, please ensure that your child is wearing close toed shoes at all times. Shorts and skirts
must be an appropriate length reaching mid-thigh or longer. Tank and spaghetti straps are not allowed unless students have a
shirt underneath them. For further information on student dress, refer to pg. 8 in your child’s planner.
I am looking forward to working with you and your child this year! If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me
through the school office (980) 343-0372 after school hours, by email, or visit our second grade wiki:
http://barnettesecondgrade.cmswiki.wikispaces.net/ Please be mindful that any communication will be returned within a
24 hour period.
Please detach and sign the signature portion below and return to your child’s teacher.
I have read and understand the above statements regarding school policies. If I have any questions/ concerns I will contact my child’s
Child’s Name:__________________ Parent Signature:____________________________ Date:_______