International and Foreign Legal Research:
Marci Hoffman & Mary Rumsey
Chapter 9: Exercise
Part 3—International Environmental Law
1. Using any source, including the website of the CITES Convention, identify which
of the three Convention Appendices deal with the most-endangered species. Give
the Appendix number (i.e., 1, 2 or 3):
2. Which CITES Appendix covers the red panda?
3. Using the ENTRI database, http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/entri/, how would
you search for forms of the word “radiate” (e.g., radiation, radioactive)?
4. In the EISIL database, http://www.eisil.org/, what three instruments are listed as
“Primary Documents” under the sub-category “Armed Conflict & Protection of
5. Using the LexisNexis database of U.S. treaties, International Law > Find Treaties
& International Agreements > U.S. Treaties on LEXIS, find the “Beijing
Amendment” to the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone
Layer.” What is the amendment’s “treaty document” number (e.g., Treaty Doc.
6. Using LawCat, the online catalog at Boalt Law Library, find a book that addresses
the topic of climate change and EU policy. Give its date and title:
7. Assume you asked to research possible liability actions on behalf of small island
countries for damages caused by global warming. Using the Westlaw database
JLR, find a 2007 law review article examining potential international liability for
climate change. Give its title and author(s):
8. Using any source, find out how many parties must ratify the Basel Protocol on
Liability and Compensation for Damage Resulting from Transboundary
Movements of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal for it to enter into force.
(The answer is on the Basel Convention site, among other places.)
9. Using the ECOLEX website, http://www.ecolex.org/index.php, find fisheries
legislation from the Bahamas dealing with (among other topics) marine mammals.
Give the title of the law you retrieve:
10. Using the GLIN database, http://www.glin.gov/search.action, find a law of the
Dominican Republic establishing a marine mammal sanctuary. (Tip: When using
GLIN, click on “More Search Options”.) Give the title of the law you retrieve: