ASQ Section Leadership Committee Meeting by 9EmR7K

VIEWS: 6 PAGES: 5

									                           ASQ Section Leadership Committee Meeting
                                  Meeting Minutes of the SLC
                                   East Carolina Section 1126

June 5, 2008

SLC Attendees: Laura Horton, Keith Daniel, Faiz Warsi, Walt Mercer, Tom Thurman, Scott Fecho
Guests: Gregory Roth, Lawanda Drake

The meeting was held at McAlister's Deli in Greenville, NC on June 5, 2008. Laura Horton called the
meeting to order at 6:12 PM. The minutes from the May 1, 2008 meeting were approved. The motion
was made by Gregory Roth, seconded by Keith Daniel and approved by all.

Business Meeting Agenda:

Committee Reports:

A. Treasurer's Report (Tom Thurman) (Via email 06/01/08)

May Treasurer's report, brief summary:
Total Income $543.13

Total Expenses $279.61

Net Balance, Checking $3,738.63

CD Account $8,015.18

Significant Items:

CD automatically renewed for 7 additional months

B. Education: (Bill Collins) (Via email 5/13/08)
June 2008
ASQ Section 1126 Education Report
Bill Collins

NCSU LEAN OFFICE

Lean manufacturing works great! But what about a non-manufacturing setting?

Lean Office will show you how lean thinking can be applied to a variety of office processes. During
this two-day event, you will learn to identify the eight major office wastes and define non-value added
work. The principles and practices demonstrated during Lean Office can be applied immediately at
your facility whether you work in banking, government, healthcare, IT, or retail.

 July 29-30, 2008
LEAN OFFICE
Courtyard By Marriott, Greensboro, NC

 October 15-16, 2008
LEAN OFFICE
                                                                                                      1
Doubletree Biltmore Hotel, Asheville, NC

Other NCSU:

Tuesday, June 10, 2008
LEAN 100 MANUFACTURING PRINCIPALS
with Factory Simulation
JC Raulston Arboretum, Raleigh, NC

Wednesday, June 11, 2008
 5S VISUAL SYSTEMS / STANDARDIZED WORK
JC Raulston Arboretum, Raleigh, NC

Thursday, June 12, 2008
VALUE STREAM MAPPING 202
JC Raulston Arboretum, Raleigh, NC

Tuesday, June 10, 2008
LEAN 100 MANUFACTURING PRINCIPALS
with Factory Simulation
JC Raulston Arboretum, Raleigh, NC

Wednesday, June 11, 2008
 5S VISUAL SYSTEMS / STANDARDIZED WORK
JC Raulston Arboretum, Raleigh, NC

Thursday, June 12, 2008
VALUE STREAM MAPPING 202
JC Raulston Arboretum, Raleigh, NC

ASQ:
The Higher Education Community:
The Higher Education Community is a network for ASQ members where you can share information
and promote quality at your institution. In the Higher Education Community you can access and
contribute to:
Materials and curriculum
Case studies/articles
Hot issues in higher education
Other universities building courses with ASQ's Body of Knowledge
Higher education advisory committee
Events
Products/services

Special Offer! Six Sigma Green Belt/Exam Bundle Package — Just $2200
Take ASQ Six Sigma Green Belt online training and the fee for the ASQ certification exam is included
in the bundle. You have up to 270 days to complete the Green Belt training and up to one year to take
the exam.
This is the most valuable certification bundle we have ever offered!

C. Student Chapter: (Janet Sanders) (Submitted via email 05/27/08)

Nothing new to report

D. Membership/Database: (Faiz Warsi)

                                                                                                    2
     Monthly Membership data:               April            May
           Preceding Month's Total           202             201
           Unpaid Member Renewal               2             4
           New Members                      +7               +5
           Transfer In                       1               0
           Transfer out                       0              0
           New Unpaid                       -11              -8
           Monthly Total                    201              200


     E. Programs: (Walt Mercer)
     June member meeting notice will be sent out next week by Brenda Wolfe. September meeting will be a
     tour of Fountain Boats in Washington. October will be a tour of Cox Beverages in Wilson. November
     will be a program presented by Gregory Roth and a tutorial on re-certification by John Suedbeck.

     F. Arrangements: (Keith Daniel) (Via email 5/30/08)
                                                                                                               th
      Below is the SLC meeting reservation for June & July. I moved the July date to the second week due to the 4
     of July holiday. Need SLC to confirm this date change. There are no membership meeting arrangements at this
     time

SLC meeting
                                            Qty                   Date      Contact
  Date          City         Location       Res.    Date made   confirmed    name        Contact ph #    Comments
                             The Buzz                                                                    Megan will call back w
 Jun 5 '08    Farmville                      10      1-May                   Megan      252-753-3959
                           Around Bistro                                                                 Cancelled
                                                                            confirme
                                                                                                         reservation made by M
  Jun 5      Greenville     McAlisters       10      1-May                      d       252-353-8000
                                                                                                         5/30
                                                                             w/ Will
  Jul 10     Greenville     McAlister’s      10     30-May                    Will      252-353-8000



     G. Certification: (Laura Horton) (Via email 05/01/08)

       June 7, 2008 Exams
         Room Reserved at East Carolina University, Bates Building, Third Floor, Room 3006
             - Email confirmation sent to ECU on room and security on 6/5/2008
         Chief Proctor: Laura Horton
         Note to Proctors sent May 1, 2008
              Assistant Proctors:
                 Tosacha Kirby – confirmed
                 Gary Imel – confirmed
              Back up Proctors Requested : Harvey Smith & Sarah Anderson
         The following exams are scheduled to be given as of listing today:
              Certified Green Belt (CGB) – 2
              Certified Quality Auditor (CQA) – 2
              Certified Quality Engineer (CQE) – 2
     Certified Quality Improvement Association (CQI) – 14

          Remaining 2008 Exams

                                                                                                                    3
       October 18, 2008 - Room Reserved at East Carolina University, Bates Building,
        Third Floor, Room 3006
   December 6, 2008 - . Exam locations can not be reserved until 2 months prior to date of
   exam


H. Recertification: (John Suedbeck) (Submitted via email 05/30/08)

There were two recertification packages submitted since the last SLC meeting.

I. Internet Liaison: (Carol Collins)
No report

J. Newsletter: (Brenda Wolf)
June meeting notice and newsletter will be sent out next week via email


K. Publicity: (Laura Horton) (Via email 06/04/08)

 No Activity this month
Recommend combining this function with the newsletter/meeting notices – can send out
meeting notices to local TV channels for inclusion on WebPages or public announcements –
Sent email to current Newsletter Chair (Brenda Wolfe) to get your thoughts on 6/5/2008 on
combining functions.


Old/New Business:

1. As a continued, future piece of business, it was suggested that next year we look into other ways to
promote the section than the M. O. Becket scholarship.

2. Gregory Roth suggested that we look into presenting low cost training for Section members. We will
need to find volunteers willing to teach. The suggested time duration of each class is 4 hours and the
ideal cost would be $50. The low cost would allow members to pay for the class on their own if their
company did not want to. Gregory Roth said he would be willing to teach statistics classes. Gregory
Roth will send out emails to solicit ideas for classes. We need to come up with minimum requirements
for the presenter and the material being presented. We need to emphasize the fact that presenters get
RUs for teaching a class. Gregory Roth will resend an email soliciting ideas for subjects to be
presented. Gage R&R was a good suggestion from Gregory for a subject that most members could use.
More information and ideas are requested for the June 10th SLC meeting.

3. The cost of the meal at the member meetings for the last year has been $19.65 (including speaker’s
gifts). The income for each of these meals is $15.00.

Several suggestions were put forth on the subject of meal pricing:
Laura reminded us that we were not in the business to make a profit from the meals and programs,
rather to provide a learning and networking opportunity for the members of our section.
Variable pricing based on the actual cost of the meal at the restaurant.
Leave the price at $15.00 and eat the difference.
Raise the cost to $20.00 and cover the cost but risk losing attendees.

                                                                                                          4
Have a menu available with different meal cost levels and let the members choose what they want and
pay for it themselves.

Keith Daniel will look into these possibilities with the restaurants we have used and report back to the
SLC on the feasibility of the options for the June 10th meeting.

4. Keith Daniel made a motion that the July SLC meeting be moved to July 10, 2008 due to the July 4th
holiday. Laura Horton seconded the motion and it was approved by all.

5. The list of volunteer committee chairpersons for the 2008/2009 year is as follows:

Programs                      Walt Mercer
Arrangements                  Keith Daniel
Internet Liaison              Lawanda Drake
Membership/Database           Faiz Warsi
Newsletter/Publicity          Brenda Wolfe (Tentative addition Publicity)
Education                     Lawanda Drake
Certification                 Laura Horton
Recertification               John Suedbeck
Nominating                    Faiz Warsi
Audit Chair                   Gregory Roth

Gregory Roth has also volunteered to track our adherence the SMP process and goals that the SLC will
define at the July 10th SLC meeting.

6. It was determined that the following positions should have a check card for the Section 1126:
        Treasurer
        Arrangements Chair
        Program Chair
        Section Chair
 Tom Thurman will recall check cards that are in the hands of SLC members.

7. The free 1st meal for new members will be put on the agenda for discussion at the July 10th SLC
meeting. This is a way to welcome new members and hopefully get them involved in the section
activities.


The July SLC meeting is scheduled for July 10, 2008 at 6:00PM at McAllister’s Deli in Greenville,
NC.

Meeting adjourned at 7:33 PM.




                                                                                                           5

								
To top