Data Share London - Information Sharing Principles
The members of the Data Share London initiative maintain that:
1. Sharing personal data is fundamental for the successful delivery and
continuity of patient care and social care services across London.
2. Consent to share will always be sought from patients and service users who
will be clear from the outset about why, what, how and with whom their
personal information will, or could be shared, unless it is unsafe or
inappropriate to do so.
3. Patients and service users must be confident that their personal information is
stored safely and securely and that in the delivery of improved services their
privacy is not compromised.
4. Information sharing must be appropriate and proportionate for an organisation
or practitioner to share information, it will be shared only with those
organisations who need to have it, it will be necessary for the purpose that it
is being shared, all decisions and reasons for sharing data will be recorded
5. Information will be accurate and up to date; will be shared in a timely manner;
will be shared securely; will be kept only as long as it is required and
destroyed properly by Data Share London members.
The Data Share London initiative will:
1. Facilitate the development of resources for training, information and guidance
to facilitate public service organisations and practitioners to share information
to meet local requirements effectively and securely.
2. Provide access to tools for public service organisations and practitioners to be
confident about sharing information in legal and service provision terms to
create positive outcomes.
3. Seek to facilitate collaborative work by members to achieve the highest
standards of organisational and practitioner best practice in information
sharing in London’s public services.
4. Support the establish of a common benchmark for compliance with standards
of Information Governance, Data Security and Information Sharing for public
5. Assist members in the establishment of clear systems, standards and
procedures that enable effective information sharing between and within
organisations across London’s public services.