Questions for Ellis Island/Angel Island Reading Name____________________________
1. Approximately how many immigrants arrived each year between 1900-1914 on Ellis Island?
2. What did the marks on the immigrants made by the medical inspectors mean?
3. What is trachoma?
4. How were immigrants tested mentally?
5. What kind of questions were the immigrants asked during their legal inspectioin?
6. What, accoring to oral tradition, happened to many immigrants’ names?
7. What does “liable to become a public charge” mean?
8. What was detention on Ellis Island like?
9. What fraction of immigrants coming through Ellis Island stayed in New York City?
10. What nationalities of immigrants came through Angel Island?
11. What was detetion like on Angel Island?
12. Why did most Chinese immigrate to the US?
13. What were “paper sons” and “paper daughters”?
14. What was the nickname of Angel Island?
15. Why was that name not an accurate portrayal of Angel Island?
16. What were “coaching letters”?
17. Why did the immigrants write poems at Angel Island?
18. What were the facilities like at Angel Island?
19. What were the meals like?
20. What did the immigrants at Angel Island do in their free time?