Short Informal Reports
• Incident Reports
• Field Trip Reports
• Occasional Progress Reports
• Periodic Progress Reports
• Project Completion Reports
• Inspection Reports
• Laboratory Reports
1. A brief statement describing
what the reader most needs to
2. A short introduction to the
3. A discussion of the data,
situation, or problem, and what
has been done or could be done
4. A conclusion that sums up the
results and possibly recommends
what should be done next
Field Trip Report
Very briefly: What did you set out
SUMMARY to do, and what did you achieve?
BACKGROUND Who went where, why, and when?
TRIP DETAILS In more detail:
1. Work done • What did you do? What
problems affected your work?
2. Problems • What did you do about them?
OUTCOME Is the job complete? What still
needs to be done?
• Why the message was written.
SUMMARY • What happened.
• What needs to be done.
BACKGROUND • Who went where, why, and
FACTS • Details that describe what
happened, what has been, done,
AND EVENTS and what action needs to be
OUTCOME • The results and effects.
SUMMARY • A brief description of the
• Project history
PROGRESS • Work that has been done
NOW • What is being done at present
• What will be done to
FUTURE PLANS complete the project