Document Sample
Visa Powered By Docstoc
After you receive your letter of acceptance to CJCU, you should contact the embassy or
overseas mission of Taiwan (R.O.C.) in your country (see link). Visa regulations vary
according to country and are subject to change. Although the R.O.C. grants visa-free
entry to citizens of some countries, international students should enter Taiwan with a
visa. Students who are planning to study at CJCU for six months or less should apply for
a visitor visa; students who are planning to study at CJCU for more than six months
should apply for a resident visa.

Visas to enter Taiwan (the Republic of China) are issued by the Bureau of Consular
Affairs (BOCA, a division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs), but students living outside of
Taiwan can apply for a visa at the overseas mission of Taiwan in their home country.

Visitor Visa.    Visitor visas are issued only at mission offices outside of Taiwan.
International students who are planning to study at CJCU for six months or less are
generally granted a 90-day visitor visa, which can be extended for an additional 90 days.
Students should be careful to extend the visa before it expires (see Extension of Visitor
Visa, below).

Resident Visa. International students who have been accepted into an academic
program lasting more than six months should apply for a resident visa. If they are living
overseas, they should apply to the overseas representative office of the R.O.C. in their
home country; if they are living in living in Taiwan, they can apply at one of the four
BOCA offices (Taipei, Taichung, Kaohsiung, and Hualien). After students enter Taiwan
on a resident visa, they have 15 days to apply for an Alien Resident Certificate at the
local office of the Immigration Service.

Non-degree and part-time students are not eligible to apply for resident visas.
(Students in full-time non-degree Chinese language study programs may switch from a
visitor visa to a resident visa after 4 months of study.)

Documents Required for Visa Application. To apply for either a visitor visa or a resident
visa, students should prepare the following documents:

      a passport with at least six months’ validity and extra pages (original and one
      letter of acceptance to CJCU (original and one copy)
      two 2- x 2-inch color photos taken within the last six months
      certificate of a health examination conducted within the last three months
      a statement showing you have sufficient funds
Visa processing fees vary according to country and according to type (single-entry vs.
multiple. Visas are granted free of charge to foreign nationals from countries with
which Taiwan has reciprocal visa agreements.

Extension of Visitor Visa. If you enter Taiwan on a visitor visa, it is important to ensure
that you don't overstay. Check the entry date on your immigration stamp, add 90 days,
and mark it on your calendar. You should apply for the extension at the National
Immigration Agency Service Center serving your area (see link) within the fifteen-day
period prior to the expiration of the visa. It is best not to wait until the last several days,
just in case you discover you need additional documents. If you are living on the CJCU
campus or elsewhere in the Tainan metropolitan area, you should apply at the
Immigration Agency Service Center on Fuqian Road near City Hall.

       Tainan City Immigration Agency Service Center
       臺南市府前路 2 段 370 號
       No. 370, Sec. 2, Fuqian Rd., Tainan City
       Telephone: 06-2937641                                        FAX: 06-2935775

To extend the visa, you will need the following documentation:

       Passport, with photocopies of the first page and the page with the most current
       Student ID/ school enrollment certificate

Another way to extend a visitors visa is simply to leave the country. If you have a
multiple entry visitor visa, you can leave the country for any amount of time and receive
an automatic 60 day visa when you re-enter Taiwan. Some international students like to
take advantage of their time in Taiwan to visit other nearby Asian nations.

Shared By: