Docstoc

Significant Events in the History of

Document Sample
Significant Events in the History of Powered By Docstoc
					Significant Events in
   the History of

The University of
 West Alabama
         Early History: 1835-1900
• 1835     Livingston Female Academy
           and Livingston Female
           Seminary founded on
                                          July 4, 1836
           February 22.
                                        Trustees elected
• 1839     First students admitted.      Judge Samuel
                                           Chapman
• 1840     Livingston Female Academy
                                        Dr. J. L. McCants
           incorporated by Alabama
                                         Seaborn Mims
           Legislature; deed recorded   William P. Beers
           in Sumter County Probate     Willis Crenshaw
           Court from J. W. Hawthorn     A. S. Arrington
           to Trustees for two acres.    R. F. Houston
          1843
Name is changed to
Livingston Collegiate Institute.

First diploma awarded to Miss
Elizabeth Houston of Livingston.
                      1847
• Name changed to Livingston Female Academy.
• Men barred from attending the Academy.
                                       1881
                                Julia Strudwick Tutwiler becomes
                                co-principal then first president
                                 • Served for 29 years, the longest of any president
                                 • UWA’s only female president
                                 • Wrote the Alabama state song




During Miss Julia’s tenure…
• 1882   The first Legislative appropriation is received ; it is the
         first from any southern state for the education of women
• 1883 – Name changes to Alabama Normal College for Girls and
         Livingston Female Academy
• 1886   Sumter County becomes a “dry” county as the result of
         Miss Julia’s involvement in the Temperance Movement.
                        1883

• Name is changed to Alabama
  Normal College for Girls and
  Livingston Female Academy
                 The 20th Century
                 Part 1: 1900-1950
• 1900 – Men are admitted
• 1901 – First diploma is awarded
  to a male student, Frank L. Grove

                      Clipping of
                      Grove’s
                      retirement from
                      28 years of
                      service to the
                      Alabama
                      Education
                      Association – The
                      Birmingham News
                      June 17, 1956


                                          Grove’s Diploma
      1907           • The institution becomes a public
                       institution controlled by the State
                       of Alabama

      1908           • First alumni association is organized




      1909
• The first Webb
    Hall, built in
  1895, burns. It
   is pictured at
        right.
                                        1910
                                 Dr. G. W. Brock becomes
                                 president, serving until 1936
                                  • Dr. Brock bought the famous Webb Hall rocking
                                    chairs
                                  • Dr. Brock was known for rigid rules but was loved
                                    by students




During Dr. Brock’s tenure…
• The university expands from 4 to 35 acres
• Foust, Bibb Graves and Brock Halls are constructed; Webb Hall is
  rebuilt
• Enrollment breaks 500 for the first time in the school’s history
• Local Greek societies begin to appear on campus                    Students in Brock’s Era
         1910
• First yearbook (Calyx) is published
• First alumni meeting is held




          1911
•   School becomes the Alabama Normal College and
    School of Arts for Women, under the control of a state-
    wide Board of Trustees of State Normal Schools
•   Men are again barred from attendance
          1911
•   Webb Hall is rebuilt in
    halves, with about a
    year between each half
1914   • The second Webb Hall burns

1915   • Men are readmitted
       • Name changes to State Normal School,
         Livingston, Alabama
       • The third and current Webb Hall is built and
         occupied, though funding does not allow for
         it to be completed until 1926
       • Institution is placed under the
1919     supervision of the State Board of
         Education

1922   • Kilby Hall built as a new elementary
          school building

1929   • The name is changed to State
         Teachers College (STC), Livingston,
         Alabama
       • The College is authorized to grant
         Bachelor of Science degrees

1930    • Bibb Graves Hall is built to house
          administrative offices, classrooms,
          and an auditorium
          1931
 • First football team is
   formed of students
   and local boys




                       c.1934
• Local Greek societies begin to appear on campus
                                        1936
                                 Dr. N. F. Greenhill becomes
                                 president, serving until 1944
                                  • Dr. Greenhill led faculty in the reorganization of the
                                    teacher-education program
                                  • The tiger mascot appeared first during his tenure.




During Dr. Greenhill’s tenure…
• STC is one of the first institutions in the State to receive
  accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
  – 1938
• First collegiate sports are played – 1938
• A Director of Athletics is added to the University faculty
                                                                      Students in Greenhill’s Era
             1939
• First homecoming football game
  is played
• L-Club is formed



             1940
• Baseball team wins Alabama
  Inter-Collegiate Conference
  championship
                                   L-Club in 1962
• Tiger mascot is born when the
  basketball team is called the
  “Ramblin’ Tigers”
                        1940
• Alma Mater is first sung at assembly
• Marching band is formed
• First student newspaper is published
  (Livingston Life)
                                  1944
                          Dr. W. W. Hill becomes president,
                          serving until 1954
                           • His efforts in recruitment helped raise
                             enrollment from 92 to 431 within two years.
                           • Was known for his public relations skills.




During Dr. Hill’s tenure…
• 1944   First off-campus classes are taught in Mobile
         and Butler.
• 1947   The institution is authorized to grant
         Bachelor of Arts degrees.
         Faculty and course offerings are expanded.
• 1952   Tiger Stadium is built.
                                                             Students in Hill’s era
                   The 20th Century
                  Part II: 1951-1999

                1952
• Tiger Stadium is constructed on
  filled in land previously known as
  “Crawdad Creek.”




                                           1953
                                  • Birmingham News says
                                    Livingston is “known as the
                                    friendly college.”
                                   1954
                        Dr. D. P. Culp becomes president,
                        serving until 1963
                          • Had a talent for “stretching a dollar.”
                          • Made efforts to guard students’ “moral
                            and ethical lives.”


During Dr. Culp’s tenure…
• Many buildings are added on campus:
  Faculty Apartments, Patterson Apartments, the Julia
  Tutwiler Library, Young Cafeteria, Sisk Hall and Pruitt Hall.
• The school achieves NCATE accreditation and SACS
  reaccreditation.
• The first master’s degrees are awarded in 1959.
                                                                  Students in Culp’s era
1957   • Name is changed to Livingston State
         College




1958   • Graduate Division and master’s
         degrees in education are authorized




1961   • The institution is first in Alabama to
         receive accreditation by the National
         Council for Accreditation of Teacher
         Education
                                       1961
                            • Julia Tutwiler Library is
                              constructed, opened in 1962




                      1963
• The Society of the Golden Key is founded
                                  1963
                           • Dr. John E. Deloney becomes
                             president, serving until 1972
                       •    Enrollment reaches an all-time high and faculty
                            doubles.
                       •    Institution divides into four colleges: Arts and
                            Sciences, Business, Education, and the
                            Graduate School.


• During Dr. Deloney’s tenure…
•   Programs in Early Childhood Education and a graduate
    program in Guidance and Counseling are added.
•   Master’s in Continuing Education and Educational
    Specialist degrees are offered.
•   1963–The Society of the Golden Key is founded.
                                                             Students in Deloney’s era
                   1964
• Tau Kappa Epsilon becomes the first national
     fraternity on campus and the first national
   fraternity on any campus of the former state
                   normal colleges.
                         1966
• Liza Howard is UWA’s first African-
  American student
     Majoring in elementary education, she
     graduated in 1969, then earned her
     master’s degree in education from
     Livingston State University.
     She retired from the Sumter County
     School System in 2001 after 30
     dedicated years.
                   • Legislature approves name change to
   1967              Livingston State University


                         1968
• James D. Crawford writes a new Alma Mater
• The word “state” is removed from the official university
  name
                        1971
The Tigers win the National Association of Intercollegiate
            Athletics Football Championship
                         1972
• UWA’s Covered Bridge is dedicated on campus. Built in
  1861, it is one of the oldest covered bridges in Alabama.
  It was moved to campus from the Alamuchee Creek by
  the Sumter County Historical society.
                                      1973
                             • Dr. Asa N. Green becomes president,
                               serving until 1993
                               • He was an avid supporter of athletics,
                                 serving on the Executive Committee of the
                                 GSC.
                               • He continues to be active in the community.


• During Dr.Green’s tenure…
•   1981   Bachelor of Science in Technology degree is established.
•   1987   Technology Division is established.
•   1993   Livingston University Foundation is established.
•   1993   University is reorganized: College of Natural Sciences
           and Mathematics, College of Business, College of Liberal
           Arts, Division of Nursing, and College of Education.
                                                                      Students in Green’s Era
                          1974
The Division of Nursing is established
and placed under the supervision of
Dr. Dagmar Brodt, Frederick Brodt,
Celeste Kaul and Sylvia Homan.
Students have class on campus and
work at the Sumter County Memorial
Hospital.
 Pictured L-R are Kaul, Homan, Dr. Brodt, and Mr. Brodt




  1975           • The institution sees its first nationally broadcast
                   athletic event, NCAA Division II Football
                   Playoff, on ABC


  1978           • Women’s intercollegiate athletics are
                   established
               1982
• First microcomputers appear on campus
• 1984    Jody Wise is elected first female
          president of the Student
          Government Association


• 1985    Bobby Warren is elected first
          African-American president
          of the Student Government Association




   Bobby Warren in the Homecoming   Bobby Warren and President
              Parade                       Asa Green
                                       1994
                             Dr. Don C. Hines becomes
                             president, serving until 1998
                              • Served as Dean of the UWA College of
                                Business, 1981 to 1987.
                              • Promoted regional economic development.



During Dr. Hines’s tenure…
• UWA Rodeo Team is established and rodeo complex built.
• Computers introduced for use in all aspects of student life.
• Programs developed in agribusiness, forestry, and
  psychology.

                                                                 Students in Hines’s Era
• 1995   Name is changed to
         The University of
         West Alabama.




• 1997    UWA’s Phi Kappa Phi honor society
         chapter is chartered.
                                    1998
                           Dr. Ed D. Roach becomes
                           president, serving until 2002
                           • Served as Provost before becoming President
                           • Was a first-generation college graduate who
                             identified well with students




During Dr. Roach’s tenure…
•   UWA becomes the first e-Campus in the state.
•   The softball complex is built and facilities at Tartt Field
    are enhanced.
•   Construction begins on an addition to the Julia Tutwiler
                                                                  Students in Roach’s era
    Library.
•   The university changes to semester system.
         A New Millennium and
    Into the Future: 2000 and Beyond

                         2000
• UWA converts from the quarter system to the semester
  system

                         2001
• UWA has the most extensive network of wireless Internet
  connections in the state
• Dr. Jay Wenger (UWA faculty member) is a Fulbright
  Scholar
                                     2002
                             Dr. Richard D. Holland
                             becomes president
                              • He is the first UWA alumnus to be named
                                President.
                              • He began his service to UWA as a
                                graduate assistant in 1965.


During Dr. Holland’s tenure…
• The Center for the Study of the Black Belt has been
  established.
• Online graduate and undergraduate degree programs are
  now offered.
• The Regional Center for Community and Economic
  Development and the West Alabama Regional Alliance
  have been developed.                                    Students in Holland’s era
                        2002
• Regional Center for Community and Economic
  Development is established
• Dr. Jay Wenger, UWA faculty member, is a Fulbright
  Scholar
• Alfa Environmental Center opens

                         2003
                • The University’s first female football player,
                  Tonya Butler, joins the UWA Tigers,
                  playing the position of kicker. Tonya
                  becomes the first female in recorded
                  NCAA history to successfully convert a
                  field goal.
                         2003
                        Loraine McIlwain Bell
                        (right), for whom the Bell
                        Conference Center is
                        named, sits with a friend,
                        Ollie Odum, while
                        enrolled at Livingston
                        Normal College, c.1914




• Bell Conference Center opens
                                             2004
              • Dr. Nol Alembong of Cameroon, Africa, is
                first visiting Fulbright Scholar
              • Sucarnochee Folklife Festival begins
              • Teaching Excellence Fund is established


    2005
• Night football games
  return to campus
• UWA Baseball Team wins
  Gulf South Conference
• Men’s and women’s
  tennis returns to UWA
• Sucarnochee Revue
  radio show begins
                         2006
• Enrollment reaches 3,000+
• Division of Outreach Services and
  Office of Sponsored Programs are
  established
• Howard R. Vaughan Tennis
  Complex is dedicated
• Locker room and new dugout are
  added to Softball Complex
                          2007
• “The University We Will Be” capital campaign began, the
  first in UWA history
• Program Enhancement Fund established
2008

• Division of Educational Outreach is
  established (Center for the Study of the
  Black Belt, Continuing Education, bby
  Publications)




• Suttles Entrepreneurship
  Institute and Division of Online
  Programs are established
 2009
• Cross Country club house opens
• Foust Gym is converted to band room
• International Education Programs
  begin with Chinese, South Korean,
  Nicaraguan and Mexican institutions
• SGA presents bronze Tiger
• Enrollment reaches 5,000+
• Named managing partner of
  Demopolis Higher Education Center
• University acquires Wesley
  Foundation and Baptist Campus
  Ministries properties
                 2010
• Faculty Leadership Development Program
  is established
• Comprehensive master facilties plan is
  adopted
• Celebration of UWA’s 175th Anniversary
         Suggested Further Reading
•   Lyon, Ralph M. A History of Livingston University: 1835-1963. Livingston:
           Livingston University Press, 1976. Located in the Alabama Room, UWA
           Julia Tutwiler Library, Call Number: 976.141 L994h
•   Smith, Louis Roycraft. A History of Sumter County, Alabama, Through 1886.
           Ph.D. Diss., University of Alabama, 1988. Located in the Alabama Room,
           UWA Julia Tutwiler Library, Call Number: 378t Sm61h 1988.
•   Snider, Dr. Neil, and Shelly Stapp Findley. A Biographical Guide to The Gallery of
    Presidential Portraits at The University of West Alabama, Livingston, Alabama.
    Livingston: UWA Department of Printing.
•   Spratt, R. D. A History of the Town of Livingston, Alabama. Livingston:
           Livingston Press, 1997. Located in the Alabama Room, UWA Julia
           Tutwiler Library, Call Number: 976.1 Sp76h.
•   University Records Collection (Archives), UWA Julia Tutwiler Library Vault. Web
    link: http://library.uwa.edu/Ala_Room/FAids/Collection_Info.asp#Univ
•   Sumter County History Collection (Archives), UWA Julia Tutwiler Library
           Vertical Files. Web link:
           http://library.uwa.edu/Ala_Room/FAids/Sumter_County_History.asp
                           Credits
• University of West Alabama Historical Timeline created by UWA
  President Richard D. Holland
• Significant Events in the History of the University of West Alabama
  PowerPoint presentation created by Sheila Blackmon Limerick,
  Archives and Special Collections Librarian, UWA Julia Tutwiler
  Library. Slides 40-43 created by Deivid Delgado, President’s Office.
• Special thanks to Charlie Cook, Area Technology Specialist, UWA
  Information Systems Department, for consultation and assistance on
  PowerPoint design, organization and operation
• Special thanks to Martha Shirley, Information Technologies
  Librarian, UWA Julia Tutwiler Library, for assistance in the Julia
  Tutwiler Library Archives
• Special thanks to Dr. Tina Naremore Jones, Dean of the UWA
  Division of Outreach Services, for updates to the initial timeline by
  Dr. Holland
• Special thanks to Dr. Louis Smith for his presentation of this
  PowerPoint.
               Sources for Images
• UWA Archives, University Records Collection, Commencement and
  Graduation, Julia Tutwiler Library Vault; digital images Web link:
  http://library.uwa.edu/Ala_Room/FAids/University_Diploma_Images.asp
• UWA Archives, University Records Collection, Administration – Alumni, Julia
  Tutwiler Library Vault, V.F2.1
• UWA Archives, University Records Collection, Buildings, Julia Tutwiler
  Library Vault, UWA, Livingston, AL.
• UWA Archives, University Records Collection, Miscellaneous, Julia Tutwiler
  Library Vault, UWA, Livingston, AL
• Paragon – Volume 78, 1988; Volume 73, 1983; Volume 65, 1975; Volume
  62, 1972. UWA Archives, University Records Collection, Yearbooks, Julia
  Tutwiler Library Vault, UWA, Livingston, AL
• Calyx (yearbook), 1910 – UWA Archives, University Records Collection,
  Yearbooks, Julia Tutwiler Library Vault, UWA, Livingston, AL
• Snider, Dr. Neil, and Shelly Stapp Findley. A Biographical Guide to The
  Gallery of Presidential Portraits at The University of West Alabama,
  Livingston, Alabama. Livingston: UWA Department of Printing.

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:12
posted:9/7/2012
language:Unknown
pages:47