1 cup canned sweet corn
3/4 cup canned black beans
1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1 cup grated feta cheese
2 tablespoons green or red pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon red onion
1 whole avocado
2 tablespoons cilantro, shredded into small pieces
1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
1/8 teaspoons minced garlic
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Combine all salad ingredients in a bowl and mix.
2. Combine all dressing ingredients in a mason jar and shake until mixed.
3. Pour dressing on salad and enjoy!
Lemony Hummus in a Pita Pocket
8 ounces of chickpeas
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 to 2 tablespoons of cold water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
2 carrots, grated or sliced thin
3 pita pockets
6 lettuce leaves
1. Add the chickpeas and garlic to a blender. Blend until the beans break apart.
2. Grate and juice lemon. Add the oil, lemon juice and grated lemon peel to the
blender and blend.
3. Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to the hummus until it is a good
4. Add the salt, pepper and cumin, and blend until completely smooth.
5. Cut the pita pockets in half and spoon 2 tablespoons of hummus into each
half. Divvy up carrots and lettuce, and add to pockets.
6 large leaves of kale
1 tablespoon finely shopped shallot
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup grated ricotta salata or feta cheese
1/2 apple, chopped
1. Wash 6 large leaves of kale and shake dry. Remove stems, break into small
bite-sized pieces, and place in large bowl. (Tip: To remove leaves from the stem,
pinch the stem between two fingertips at the base of the leaf. Apply some
pressure and slide your fingers up the stem. Leaves come right off.)
2. Add to a mason jar the lemon juice, salt, pepper and olive oil.
3. Chop shallots and add to mason jar. Shake jar until dressing is well mixed.
4. Sprinkle cheese over the kale.
5. Sprinkle apple pieces on top of kale.
6. Pour salad dressing on top. Enjoy.
Sweet Potato Pancakes
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Peel one sweet potato and cut into cubes. Place in boiling water until soft
(about 10 minutes). Drain and mash. (Or start with an already-roasted potato.)
2. In a small mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking
powder, salt, sugar and nutmeg.
3. Mix and set aside.
4. In another larger mixing bowl, combine mashed sweet potatoes, eggs, milk
and vegetable oil.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined. Do not over
6. Preheat a lightly greased griddle over medium-high heat. Drop batter mixture
onto the prepared griddle by heaping tablespoonfuls, and cook until golden
brown, turning once with a spatula when the surface begins to bubble.
7. Top with fruit, syrup or honey and enjoy!
2 large carrots
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 apple, chopped
1/4 cup plain yogurt
Grate carrots and place in a bowl. Add raisins, apples and plain yogurt to the
bowl. Mix well and eat!
Root Vegetable Slaw
1/2 celery root (or less)
Salad dressing ingredients:
1/4 cup well-shaken buttermilk
1 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp minced shallot
1/2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tbsp chopped chives
Grate all the vegetables and add to a bowl. Kids can use a vegetable peeler to
create “strips” of vegetables, which is safer and also makes for a pretty salad. In
a separate bowl, mix the salad dressing ingredients. Pour dressing on vegetable
2 cups spinach
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon honey
Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Add ice as desired.