COURSE: Watercolour Progression
INSTRUCTOR: Judith Livingston
LOCATION: Varley Art Gallery, Deacon Room
Supplies and Course Outline to be discussed Week 1 and may change slightly to suit the needs of the class.
The class format consists of demonstrations, critiques, in-class painting & homework.
Week 1: Supplies, Brushwork and Painting Techniques
Week 2: Techniques for Communicating Your Ideas
Week 3: Colour Mixing and Value
Week 4: Effective Use of Colour
Week 5: Value for Visual Effects
Week 6: Special Effects and Texture
Week 7: Putting It All Together
Week 8: Unique Approaches
Supplies: (Suggested list) Bring any supplies you may already have. Dried tubes are usable.
Brushes ( Synthetic Gold Sable brushes work well)
- 2 Round brushes (come to a point) - #10 or #12 (or larger) and #5 or #6
- 2 Flat brushes 1/4” or 3/8" or 1/2" and 1" Flat (or larger)
- Rigger or liner brush ( #2 or #4 ) would be handy
- 1 Pastry brush 1" ( ragged hog hair -Hardware or Dollar stores). Can use for Week 8.
- 2 toothbrushes ( Dollar Store kind)
Palette: White plastic (preferably with at least 12 wells and a lid )
Pigments: Basic colours - Tubes or pans. Many good brands - Winsor & Newton, Holbein, Da Vinci.
Cadmium Yellow (light) or Hansa Yellow Magenta Raw Sienna
Indian Yellow or New Gamboge Ultramarine Blue or Permanent Blue Burnt Sienna
Aureolin Cobalt Blue Raw Umber
Winsor Red Thalo Blue Burnt Umber
Permanent Rose Cerulean Blue
Additional colours may be suggested throughout the class.
Paper: - 3 sheets (22" x 30") 140 lb. CP/Not (cold press not rough texture) - cut to your preference of working size
- Watercolour spiral-ring book (at least 10" x 7") for colour studies
Board - masonite or coroplast ( plastic corrugated board- hardware store ) or Plexi-glas
To support and transport work. Should be larger than watercolour paper.
- 2 large containers for water (large yogurt ideal) and small mister for paints and techniques
- containers to hold larger quantities of mixed paint for larger paintings
- off-white masking tape (¾" is fine)
- paper towel or facial tissue - and - old towel for under painting board
- 2H or HB drawing pencil - and - a kneadable or white plastic eraser
- sponge, natural or synthetic - and - sponges on a stick (various widths)
- optional - masking fluid (removable) and Pick-Up and cheap #2 brush
- Darning needle with large eye (inserted in a wine cork for easier handling)
- reference photos and images for inspiration
Suppliers: (to name a few)
Studio Six Framing and Art Supplies - 155-157 Denison St. (west of Woodbine) 905 475-1136
Curry's - at Market Village (Kennedy and Steeles Ave.) 905 940-8388 - Michaels, Wal-Mart, Dollar Stores
Note: At Curry’s, before making purchase show this Supply List from Gallery for 10% discountego 477.9511
FOR FURTHER INQUIRIES PLEASE CALL CHERYL REGO AT (905) 477-9511 EXT 228 OR EMAIL AT