LETTER OF UNDERSTANDING
The City of Ottawa “City”, and The National Capital Commission “NCC”
recognize that Lansdowne Park is a significant asset to both the City and the National
Capital Region. The NCC owns the lands labelled as “C, NCC Lands” lying to the north
and west of the Queen Elizabeth Driveway. The City owns the lands labelled “ A, Public
There is a delineation between the NCC Lands and the Public Lands (collectively the
“Open Space Lands”) that are generally open space in character and for the purpose of
active and passive public use, and the ‘Municipal Partnership Lands’ (labelled B) being
those public lands and assets that form the primary interest of the commercial proponents
in delivering the stadium and mixed use built redevelopment of the site, such delineation
being generally shown on the attached sketch.
Both organizations will dialogue and collaborate in the planning of the ‘Open Space
Lands’ at the interface of Lansdowne Park and the Queen-Elizabeth Driveway adjacent to
the Rideau Canal corridor
The following objectives are noted as the two organizations move forward with the
planning of the Open Space Lands:
1. To commit the time and the resources to ensure the successful integration between
the planning of the Open Space Lands, and the ‘Municipal Partnership Lands’.
2. To work collaboratively with regard to the planning of the Open Space Lands
including giving appropriate consideration to their four seasons programming.
3. Subject to the results of a public planning process, to identify possible
collaborative arrangements for both implementation of programming strategies
and long term management and stewardship measures for the Open Space
The CITY and the NCC will:
1. Collaborate in the planning of the Open Space Lands, adjacent to the Queen-
Elizabeth Driveway and the Rideau Canal Corridor, on the basis of a Park/Open
Space design plan, with the full participation and involvement of Parks Canada,
the general public and all the stakeholders with an interest in this section of the
2. Initiate the above area planning initiative when the Ottawa City Council has
approved the MOU between the City and the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment
3. Establish the planning and criteria for the Open Space Lands having regard, along
with all other relevant matters, to the pre-conditions that are established between
the City and the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group (OSEG) in a
Memorandum of Understanding partnership agreement.
The CITY OF OTTAWA will:
1. Ensure that the planning of the ‘Municipal Partnership Lands’ is coordinated with
and integrated to the planning of the Open Space Lands.
2. Collaborate with the NCC in the programming of the Open Space Lands for all
3. Participate with the NCC and Parks Canada in the protection of the Rideau Canal
as a National and World Heritage site through the elaboration of planning and
design guidelines that are context sensitive while enabling the response to site-
The NATIONAL CAPITAL COMMISSION will
1. Participate in the planning of the Open Space Lands in accordance with the
NCC’s planning mandate.
2. Seek the comments and advice of the Advisory Committee on Planning, Design
and Realty during the preparation of the area plan for the Open Space Lands .
3. Approach the planning of the Open Space Lands with appropriate consideration
for the responsibilities and approval process of Parks Canada, and in particular of
the World Heritage site.
4. Ensure public consultations on the Open Space Lands are part of the process in a
manner similar to any other NCC (or public) planning exercise.
5. Collaborate with the City of Ottawa in ensuring that the planning of the interface
between the Open Space Lands and the ‘Municipal Partnership Lands’ is well
Subject to the following provision, The City and The NCC will continue with this
planning exercise until the Council of the City has adopted the Park/Open Space Design
Plan, and the NCC has adopted the Area Plan for the Open Space Lands. At any time, by
the delivery of a 5 days notice in writing to that effect, either the City or the NCC can
elect to not continue with collaboration in this planning exercise.
___________________________ Dated ___________ Ottawa, ON.
City Manager, City of Ottawa
_________________________ Dated ______________ Ottawa, ON.
Chief Executive Officer, National Capital Commission
RID E AU
Lansdowne Park: Proposed
RT MU Parc Lansdowne :
ER Aménagement de terrains
SO Legend - Légende
A - NCC Lands
A - Terrains de la CCN
B - Municipal Partnership
T B - Terrains partenariat avec
NT AS la municipalité
RE N TP
U C - Municipal Lands
AR C - Terrains municipaux
ON D Pavillon Aberdeen
O R W
TH LM NCC Recreational Pathways
Sentiers récréatifs de la CCN
K AB U E
HO O NE
ER D L RN
LTO KL UT
N OA SO
0 37.5 75 150