Modular buildings and the benefits
The term "Modular" can mean many different things depending on how it is used. In the building
industry it refers to a different method of creating additional space than the conventional approach
of on-site construction. Modular building offices, health care centres, churches, classrooms, or аnу
other type of building are built in sections in a quality controlled environment free from the effects
of weather, both of which can have a serious impact on time and money on a given project.
To gain a better appreciation for the advantage of modular v. conventional construction, think "faster,
less expensive, more flexible construction" then the conventional approach..
Portable and modular buildings cover a very large remit, this includes everything from building site
accommodation blocks to multi-storey buildings some with an outer brick skin which makes them
very hard to spot from traditional buildings to the random layman. Due to flexibility, speed and
reliability this form of building is becoming more and more popular over traditional methods.
Modular buildings meet all permanent building standards. The difference is that modular buildings
are manufactured in a factory, so that quality can be precisely controlled and delivered to site ready
for rapid installation. If you're buying a building, it can be completed up to 50% faster than a
traditionally constructed one. Hired buildings can be delivered from stock.
For any building application
You can choose a modular building to fulfil any application, from offices, schools and hospitals to
marketing suites, toilet facilities, canteens and many more.
Modular Construction Advantages
Quick delivery of space - Many modular companies maintain a fleet of commercial modular buildings
ready for deployment and delivery immediately.
Reduced time frame for completion of building infrastructure - Building construction occurs
simultaneously with site prep, reducing completion time by as much as 50%.
Reduced cost of facilities - Overall costs savings on modular projects, when compared to typical site
built projects can be expected to be between 15 -50% due to inefficiencies with labour, materials and
Budgeting flexibility - Acquisition options include leasing, lease to own, or purchase giving end users
the option of operating expense or capital budget overlay.
Flexible design options - Modular companies can construct and deliver buildings for temporary and
permanent applications and structures ranging in size from a few hundred square feet to tens of
thousands of square feet. Exteriors can be designed to match unique geographic needs.
Reduced site disturbance in environmentally sensitive areas - Construction occurs off site in a
manufacturing facility, minimizing site disturbances.
Re-float ability of facilities - Buildings are designed and constructed for efficient secondary
relocations, without significant structural modifications.
Turnkey solution - Modular companies provide design, engineering, construction delivery аnd set up,
on time and on budget.
Some more advantages are:
• Modular buildings are built with a guaranteed price, usually significantly less then site-built
• Due to upfront client approvals, change-orders are normally not required
• Modular structures can be cost-effectively moved, expanded, and altered, adding to there
• Value-engineering is utilized in virtually every step of the building design
• People report that the buying experience is much less stressful and very orderly
• Clients are urged to participate in the design process and generally do so
• Completion times range from 1-week for basic units to 12-weeks for very complex projects
• Site-work can be performed while the modular is being built, saving time and money
• Rapid construction means earlier occupancy, and a faster return on investment
• Permitting is less expensive, faster and more streamlined then site-built construction
• Project scheduling is established at the time of order and is updated frequently
• Only kiln-dried lumber is used for framing, unlike most site-built construction
• Repeat business is high, due to the quality of building materials and workmanship