by Adrian O’Donnell
Lado Management Consultants
Clarify what employers want to know:
Can you handle the responsibilities of the job?
Do you enjoy your work?
Are you a professional and will you fit in?
Why Cover Letters are so Important
1. The cover letter is the first thing an employer
2. Stand out from the crowd in a positive, exciting
way to ensure you are the one employers are
determined to hire.
3. Get the employer excited about the resume.
4. Targeting a resume and cover letter is essential
in today’s competitive environment
5. Part of the whole package that WILL encourage
an employer to want to get to know you better.
Paragraph 1 - introduction
Paragraph 2 - support
Paragraph 3 - summary of suitability
Paragraph 4 - desire for an interview
1. The job you are applying for
2. How you found out about the job
3. Why you are interested in the position
4. What qualifies you to do the work
5. Examples of related achievements
6. A closing summary of your qualifications
7. Your desire to meet for an interview
Writing Your Cover Letter
What if I'm Not a Good Writer?
- Think about what is most important to convey.
- Concentrate on getting your thoughts on paper.
- Revise the sentences later.
Writing Your Cover Letter
What Achievements should I Include?
- Look at the job announcement for which you are
- What made you interested.
- Why do you feel you are qualified?
- Write the reasons in a short bullet list.
Writing Your Cover Letter
How is it Supposed to Look?
- Make sure that the header matches your resume.
- Header includes your name and contact
- Make it visually appealing and easy to read.
- Do not exceed one page!
Writing Your Cover Letter
How to Customize The Cover Letter?
- Find out what that particular company's history is.
- Find out what the position entails.
- Find out what their future plans are.
- Include the company's name in your cover letter.
along with the position you are applying for.
Tips for Writing Cover Letters
- don’t mention why you left a job
Do not start every sentence with “I”.
Be clear and succinct.
Leave a space between paragraphs.
Use Formal or Neutral language.
Cover Letter Checklist
1. Use the same paper that you use for your resume.
2. Proofread. Proofread. Proofread.
3. Keep the letter to one page.
4. Ensure the name of the person addressed in the letter is
spelled correctly and that you have his/her correct title.
5. Demonstrate that you have researched the company by
including some information in one or more of your
6. Sign the cover letter with a blue or black ink pen.
7. Use clear and concise sentences.
8. Sell yourself.
9. Ensure your letter is an original and not a copy and printed
on good/quality printer.
Dear Mr./Ms. _______,
I am applying for the position of ________, which was posted in ____.
Dear Sir or Madam,
I would like to apply for a position in the ______ Department of your
Showing Requirements of Job
• Responsible for evening operations in Student Center and other
facilities, including managing registration, solving customer
problems, dealing with risk management and emergencies,
enforcement of department policies.
• Assist with hiring, training, and management of staff. Coordinate
statistics and inventory.
• Experience in the supervision of student staff and strong
interpersonal skills are also preferred.
• Valid driver's license with good driving record. Ability to travel to
different sites required.
• Experience in collegiate programming and management.
• Register students for courses, design and manage program
software, solve customer problems, enforce department policies,
and serve as a contact for students, faculty, and staff.
• Hiring, training, scheduling and management of staff, managing
supply inventory, and ordering.
• Clean international driver's license.
• Extensive experience in collegiate programming and management.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Dealing with Salary
My salary requirements are in the range of $----- to $------,
depending upon the duties and requirements of the position plus
the overall benefit package offered.
If the advertisement is silent on salary
requirement or relocation, never include such
Closing your cover letter
I appreciate your taking the time to review my credentials and
experience. Again, thank you for your consideration.
Sample Cover Letter (unedited)
1234, West 67 Street,
Cardiff, CA 01741,
Date: 1st November, 2009.
Mr. George Bush,
257, Park Avenue South,
New York, NY 12345-6789.
Dear Mr. Bush,
I am writing with reference to your advertisement in the local Employment News magazine for want of a Software
Developer. I consider that my credentials and interests match with your requirement and want to apply for the same.
Presently I am deputed as an assistant at ABC for the last two years. During these years I have acquired a very good
knowledge of Web technologies (Perl CGI, PHP). My responsibility includes providing back end support for the distributed
applications and guiding new trainees through their jobs.
Although I am enjoying my present job, I am looking out for new opportunities in the same field. I will be contacting you on
Friday, 12th November, to arrange a personal meeting and discuss the prospect.
1. Resume - myresume.doc
Sample Internship Cover Letter (unedited)
123 Yanji Street,
Taipei 110 00,
Date: 11 November, 2009.
Mr. Andreas Schmidt,
National Marketing Inc.,
257, Roosevelt Rd, Sec1,
Dear Mr. Schmidt,
My unique mix of previous work experience and my status as a National University business student in my junior year
studying marketing, make me an ideal candidate for a summer internship with National Marketing Inc.
My experience in sales and customer relationship management, combined with my courses in marketing, has convinced
me that hospitality marketing is a career option I would like to explore.
More importantly, an internship with National Marketing Inc., would be mutually beneficial. Your company has an excellent
reputation for customer satisfaction, and I know that the combination of my experience, education, and motivation to excel
will make me an asset to your marketing department.
I am sure that it would be worthwhile for us to meet. I will contact you within a week to arrange a meeting. Should you have
any questions before that time, you may reach me via phone (02)-456 7890) or via email (email@example.com).
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Jerry Chen, Business Management, National Taipei University of Technology.
Sample Recent Graduate Cover Letter
Dear Mr _____,
I am writing to apply for the position of Media Relations Manager. ___ is a
fast-moving global institution and an outstanding communications pioneer,
now poised to guide the direction of print journalism.
As a recent graduate of the National Taipei University of Technology with
significant experience in finance, administration and media, I bring the
energy and commitment to excellence necessary to thrive in ____'s
As the current Media Relations Coordinator of the XYZ company, I am a
practiced business liaison and an able administrator. These strengths,
combined with deep and varied employment and internship experience as a
journalist and media consultant with ABC and DEF, prepare me to make a
strong and immediate impact at ____.
I am excited about the opportunity to join the ___ team as it moves to the
center of the print media conversation. Thank you for your time and
Writing Follow Up Letters
Successful Interview Follow Up Letter
1. Write the Follow-Up Letter Immediately
2. Include an Incident That Occurred at the
3. Write to Every Interviewer
4. Show Your Awareness Of Company Culture
5. Write in a Positive Tone
• Thank the interviewer for taking the time to meet
with you and remind him/her of the position for
which you interviewed
• Reiterate your sincere interest in the position and
• Mention something you learned from the interview
or comment on something of importance that you
discussed – This will make you stand out from the
• Emphasize your strengths, experiences, skills, and
accomplishments. Tweak them towards the points
that the interviewer considered the most important
for the position.
• Thank the interviewer for his/her time and
consideration. If you feel it is appropriate, close
with a suggestion for next steps (e.g. a second
interview), or mention that you plan to follow up
with a phone call in a few days.
Sample Initial Interview Thank You Letter
40Minzu E.Rd Sec.2
Taipei 150 12
May 26, 2009
Ms. Joyce Chang
Human Resources Manager
Sogo Department Store
200 ZhongXiao East Rd
Taipei 110 00
Dear Ms. Chang,
I enjoyed interviewing with you during your recruiting visit to NTUT on May 25. The management trainee
program you outlined sounds both challenging and rewarding and I look forward to your decision concerning an
As mentioned during the interview, I will be graduating in June with a Bachelor’s degree in Fashion
Merchandising. Through my education and experience I have gained many skills, as well as an understanding
of retailing concepts and dealing with the general public. I have worked five years in the retail industry in
various positions from Salesclerk to Assistant Department Manager. I think my education and work experience
would complement Sogo’s management trainee program.
I have enclosed a copy of my college transcript and a list of references that you requested.
Thank you again for the opportunity to interview with Sogo Department Store. The interview served to reinforce
my strong interest in becoming a part of your management team. I can be reached at (02) 555-1111 or by
email at firstname.lastname@example.org should you need additional information.
Sample Thank You For On-Site Interview
Dear Ms. Lee,
Thank you for the opportunity to visit with you and see your facilities last Wednesday.
Both the interview and the tour made for an exciting and complete day.
I was particularly impressed with your warehousing procedures. Mr. Hu was so
thorough in explaining your process to me, and I will be corresponding directly with him
to express my appreciation. Incidentally, the process you use is quite similar to one I
have been researching through an independent study this term. Perhaps I can share
my final report with you and Mr. Hu.
The expense report you requested is enclosed.
Again, thank you for your hospitality during my visit and for all your efforts to arrange
my visit. Having seen your operation, I am all the more enthused about the career
opportunity that Lin Computers and Electronics offers. I look forward to your decision.