Kennebunk Free Library
Maintenance Manager Job Description
Broad scope of position:
The Maintenance Manager is an integral member of the public service team at the Library. His/her work has a great
effect on the success of the library in meeting its mission. His/her role in great part pertains to how the staff and
patrons view the building and grounds when they come to the library in relation to aesthetics and safety.
Under the supervision of the Director, the Maintenance Manager is responsible for maintaining a clean, comfortable,
and safe environment for library patrons and employees. The Maintenance Manager identifies and reports all problems
(maintenance, repair, safety, etc.) related to the library to the Director, and recommends solutions to those problems.
Work requires the use of power and hand tools in the performance of a variety of tasks of moderate complexity. The
Maintenance Manager coordinates and oversees contractual lawn care and snow removal services. He/she responds to
building emergencies during and after hours of library operation.
Establishes and maintains schedule of routine cleaning and maintenance work required to keep up the spotless
appearance and safety of library facilities and grounds and performs/oversees performance of these tasks on a regular
basis. Tasks include, but are not limited to:
Empties trash cans daily and hauls to the curb weekly
Recycling weekly (need to use your own vehicle for this)
Clean and maintain furniture in public and staff areas
Damp or dry mop floors
Wax and finish the floors
Clean glass and counter areas
Clean the windows in and out
Dust window sills, woodwork, railings, etc.
Cleans restrooms and changes supplies
Check and replace light bulbs as needed
Check the building and grounds for damage or security breaches
Clear exterior walkways of snow, ice and debris in a timely manner
Clean parking lot as needed
Assist staff in moving and arrangement of furniture and equipment
Set up chairs and tables for programming
Assist staff on special decorating projects
Orders and maintains inventory of cleaning equipment, janitorial and other building supplies
Runs local errands pertaining to Maintenance Manager duties using personal vehicle
Prepares and maintains short and long term cleaning, maintenance, painting, and construction schedules
Continuously monitor the building, in and out, for items such as paint touch up, floor cleaning, spills, glass
cleaning, fingerprints on walls, graffiti, etc.
Maintains equipment manual, files, and repair logs
KFL Maintenance Manager Job Description, Revised July 2012 Page 1
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Performs preventative maintenance work and/or repair work on library facilities, grounds, building, and related
equipment. Inspects and reports need for major repairs to the Director. For example:
Arranges for annual inspection and maintenance of fire extinguishers, fire alarms, elevator, alarm, etc.
Makes minor repairs to plumbing, electrical wiring, computer cabling, telephone wiring, window panes,
lights, furniture and equipment, lawn sprinkler system, HVAC, etc.
Paints walls, trim, etc. as necessary or assigned
Performs light construction work (walls, shelves, racks, etc) as assigned
Assembles/erects equipment and furnishings purchased by the library when necessary
Arranges and coordinates maintenance and/or repairs performed by vendors, contractors, etc.
1. Assists the Director with budgetary planning and needs for building and grounds
2. Maintains comfortable interior temperatures for library staff and patrons utilizing HVAC system
3. Maintains service records and test records for equipment such as fire alarms, fire extinguishers, HVAC system,
elevator, and similar equipment.
4. Maintains building surfaces, roofs, floors, doors, windows, light fixtures and other components
5. Assists in keeping walkway and entrances cleared of snow and ice.
6. Sets up meeting rooms (tables and chair arrangement) for scheduled events
7. Attend and participate in regular meetings with the director and other staff meetings
8. Other duties as assigned
1. High school diploma or equivalent
2. Valid State of Maine Driver’s License
3. Knowledge of skills and abilities in using equipment, materials and supplies in building and grounds
4. Knowledge and skills in the use of equipment and supplies necessary to do minor repairs.
5. Some knowledge of first aid and applicable safety precautions.
6. Ability to work independently and to complete daily activities according to work schedules.
7. Ability to lift a minimum of fifty (50) pounds and use ladders up to twenty-eight (28) feet.
8. Able to communicate orally and in writing. Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
9. Ability to establish effective working relationships with library staff, patrons, supply and service personnel.
10. Strong organizational skills
1. Experience and knowledge of commercial cleaning practices
2. Experience and knowledge of commercial HVAC systems
3. Experience and knowledge of commercial fire sprinkler systems
4. Painting skills
5. Carpentry/woodworking skills
6. Basic plumbing knowledge and skills
7. Basic electrical knowledge and skills
KFL Maintenance Manager Job Description, Revised July 2012 Page 2
It is essential that the Maintenance Manager is dependable, honest, and trustworthy. He/she must be responsible and
able to work unsupervised during much of his or her shift. Because the person in this position will also have contact
with other staff members and with library patrons, he/she must present good manners and be neat in appearance.
He/she must be able to deal with staff and patrons in a courteous and helpful manner.
Relationship with Library Staff and Others
The Maintenance Manager is hired and supervised by the Library Director. While the Maintenance Manager normally
does not supervise other staff, he or she may coordinate and advise staff in regards to building maintenance, cleaning
and safety. In the event of the library director being absent from the building, the Assistant Director supervises the
Maintenance Manager. Along with staff members, the Maintenance Manager may be assigned one or more volunteers
to train and supervise. Using excellent customer service skills, he/she establishes and maintains effective working
relationships with other employees, officials, patrons, and all members of the community.
Conditions of Work
The regular work schedule is Monday through Friday, 6:30 am to 1:30 pm for a total of thirty-five (35) hours. The
Maintenance Manager may be required to work alternate or additional hours so that he or she may prepare for special
projects, meet contractors and clear snow and ice from walks for patron and staff safety. The person in this position
must be able to adjust work schedule to meet job requirements.
Compensation package, benefits and other personnel policies are in compliance with the library’s personnel policies and
Hourly rate range $12.00 - $15.00 (commensurate with experience), prorated health benefits, optional dental insurance,
paid holidays, vacation, and sick days.
Please send cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references to:
Jill E. LeMay, Director
Kennebunk Free Library
112 Main Street
Kennebunk, Maine 04043
or email to email@example.com
KFL Maintenance Manager Job Description, Revised July 2012 Page 3