ABVMA Recommended Biosecurity Protocol
Kennel Room/Ward Cleaning
Recommended every 30 days
1. Remove gross contamination, discard waste into lidded container identified as General Waste.
2. A detergent solution such as Sunlight, or Ivory should be used to clean every surface by spraying
and scrubbing room, contents and floor
a. Outside of kennel(s), walls, counters, cabinets, floors, food bowls etc.
b. It is crucial that the detergent be used to first, clean the ward and remove organic
3. Rinse and allow to dry. If this is not at all possible, you must squeegee the room and remove as
much surface water as possible.
4. Every surface must be sprayed with (disinfectant and strength) and soaked for appropriate
contact time according to manufacturer’s instructions (manufacturer recommended contact time).
a. Kennel, walls, counters, cabinets, floors, food bowls etc.
5. Remove waste bag to disposal area for general hospital waste.
6. Keep a log of when this cleaning is performed to keep on track with recommended cleaning
Friday, August-31-12 Page 1