Title : Part Time (Weekend) Receptionist
Department : Victoria Hospital
Responsible to : Head of Reception
9.00am to 5.00pm each Saturday and Sunday (16 hours per week). However, due to the
nature of the work of The Blue Cross and this post it may be necessary to exceed these hours
when the work load demands.
Pro rata to £15,415 (HA1.2) per annum plus London Weighting Allowance of £3,672 and
Additional London Allowance of £1,277 .
(i.e. £5,872 plus £1,399 London Weighting and £487 Additional London Allowance per annum).
Good standard of secondary education including English and Maths at GCSE or equivalent
Working in a busy reception or office environment
Dealing with the general public and their enquiries
Previous experience of working in a similar role or working with animals
An understanding of the demands of the voluntary sector
The successful candidate will be a good organiser, with an excellent telephone manner and a
genuine desire to provide an excellent telephone service to visitors to the hospital and to other
members of staff internally. You will have a keen eye for detail as the handling of cash and
maintenance of office systems forms a key part of this role. You will enjoy seeing tasks
through to conclusion and be keen to get involved with new tasks as and when possible. This
role is broad based and you will be expected to be able to manage several different tasks
simultaneously and actively contribute to the smooth functioning of the hospital.
Job Summary and Background Information
To provide a telephone answering and reception service and to manage the hospital reception
area at the Victoria Hospital
The Blue Cross is a national animal welfare charity and has 11 Adoption Centres, 4 Veterinary
Hospitals which are based in Victoria, Merton, Hammersmith and Grimsby, 2 Equine Centres
and a Head Office based in Burford, Oxfordshire.
1. Carry out reception duties under the direction of the Head Receptionist and/or a senior
member of the nursing staff.
2. Greet all clients and visitors at the front desk in a pleasant and professional manner.
3. Treat all clients and animals in distress with care and compassion.
4. Help with almoning of clients as needed.
5. Answer the telephone, receive and give information. Pass on all messages clearly.
6. Administer cash and cheque payments.
7. Register new clients on the computer system and amend files as necessary.
8. Print out forms and medical histories as required.
9. You will be involved with handling animals whilst discharging in-patients.
10. Pass on relevant medication and instructions for treatment when returning animals to
their owners, ensuring that the owner fully understands.
11. Book follow up appointments.
12. Keep the reception area clean and tidy with all displays well stocked.
13. Observe and ensure compliance with all Health & Safety regulations.
14. Ensure that in-patient records are transcribed from the kennel charts onto the relevant
computer records and priced accordingly.
15. Ensure that all hospitalised animals are entered onto the Hospital list.
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IS NOT EXHAUSTIVE
If you feel you have the skills and experience to apply for this position, please complete and
return the application form. You may submit your CV and any supporting information as part of
your application. You can either email your completed application form to
firstname.lastname@example.org or post it to:
The Blue Cross
Oxfordshire, OX18 4PF
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is 2nd May 2012