Additional Resources, Materials and Ways to Engage in Creativity,
Creative Teaching and the Torrance Incubation Model of Teaching & Learning (TIM)
On Creative Teaching and Learning:
• Keller-Mathers, S. & Pagliaroli, T. (2009). Creative learning, thinking and problem solving: Content’s 21 st century partner in
education. Pennsylvania Educational Leadership, 29(1), 24-32.
• Keller-Mathers, S. (2009).Creative Teaching. In B. Kerr (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Giftedness, Creativity, and Talent (pp. 197-
200). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
• Keller-Mathers, S. (2009). Creative women: An artist and engineer's story. Academic Exchange Quarterly, 13(2), 149-154.
• Murdock, M. & Keller-Mathers, S. (In press). Programs and courses in creativity. Encyclopedia of Creativity. (2nd Ed.),
Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Classic Work By E. Paul Torrance on the Incubation Model & A Creativity Skill Set:
• Torrance, E. P. (1979). An instructional model for enhancing incubation. Journal of Creative Behavior, 13(1), pp. 23-35.
• Torrance, E. P. (1979). The search for satori and creativity. Buffalo, NY: Bearly Limited.
• Torrance & Safter, H. T. (1990). The incubation model of learning and teaching: Getting beyond aha: Buffalo, NY: Bearly
• Torrance, E. P. & Safter, H. T. (1999). Making the creative leap beyond. Buffalo, NY: Creative Education Foundation.
Current Work on the Torrance Incubation Model of Teaching & Learning:
• Murdock, M. & Keller-Mathers, S. (2008). Teaching and learning creatively with the Torrance Incubation Model: A research
and practice update. International Journal of Creativity and Problem Solving, 18(2), 11-33.
• Murdock, M. & Keller-Mathers, S. (2008). Designing and delivering training for creative thinking using Torrance Incubation
Model of Teaching and Learning. In Puccio, G., Burnett, C., Cabra, J, Fox, J.M., Keller-Mathers, S., Murdock, M. & Yudess,
J.(Eds.), Integrating inquiry and action: International conference on creativity and innovation management second
community meeting conference proceedings Book Two (pp. 70-96). Buffalo, NY: International Center for Studies in
Creativity, Buffalo State.
Current Work on the Thinking Skills Model of Creative Problem Solving:
• Puccio, G. J., Murdock, M. C., & Mance, M. (2005). Current developments in creative problem solving for organizations: A
focus on thinking skills and styles. The Korean Journal of Thinking & Problem Solving, 15, 43-76.
• Puccio, G., Murdock, M. & Mance, M. (2007). Creative leadership: Skills that drive change. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
• Puccio, G., Mance, M. & Murdock, M. (In press). Creative leadership: Skills that drive change (2 nd ed). Thousand Oaks, CA:
NAGC Creativity Division Newsletter Articles on TIM: (available for download at:
http://www.nagc.org/index.aspx?id=1419 Newsletter Archives, Fall, 2002):
• Keller-Mathers, S. & Murdock, M.(2002, Fall). Teaching the content of creativity using the Torrance Incubation Model: Eyes
wide open to the possibilities of learning. National Association of Gifted Children Celebrate Creativity Newsletter, 13 (2), 7-9.
• Murdock, M. & Keller-Mathers, S. (2002, Fall). The foundation of the Torrance Incubation Model: Identifying and using a
creativity skill set. National Association of Gifted Children Celebrate Creativity Newsletter, 13 (2), 5-6,13.
• Murdock, M. & Keller-Mathers, S. (2002, Fall). Teaching for creativity: Where there’s a will, there’s a way. National
Association of Gifted Children Celebrate Creativity Newsletter, 13 (2), 3,4, 10-12.
Videos, Blogs and Other Fun Stuff
Creativity Around the World:
A Video forum on Cultural Connections and International Work of Creativity Professionals
Creativity Counts – A Report of Findings from Schools.
PDF format Learning and Teaching Scotland/IDES Network (2004)
Creative thinking: An imperative for higher education in America Video
Rochester Institute of Technology http://www.buffalostate.edu/creativity/x978.xml
Creative Problem Solving Tools and Creativity Skills Videos
Do Schools Kill Creativity Video
Dynamic Balance In Creativity Video http://www.buffalostate.edu/creativity/x1202.xml
Current Issues in Creativity Blog (graduate Student descriptions of hot new books in creativity)
Emerging Good Practice in Promoting Creativity (PDF)
PDF format (HMIE, 2006)
Potential for Creative Learning and Teaching Video
Putting Ideas into Action Online
Online fundamental principles of creative thinking
Voice of the Torrance Incubation Model of Teaching & Learning Video
International Center for Studies in Creativity Video Folder
Always Things in the Works!
As an academic department in higher education focused on creative learning and teaching as part of a Master’s of Science
Degree in Creativity, our mission is to assist others with improving their own creativity, the creativity of others and making a
difference in the world through the scholarly understanding of creativity and putting it into practice in education and other
arenas. We continue to develop materials, write about and disseminate our communities best practices in creative teaching and
learning. Check out our website for more resources and keep in touch if you’d like to know more about our TIM
Dissemination Initiative and other current initiatives.
Dr. Susan Keller-Mathers
Dr. Keller-Mathers is an Associate Professor at the International Center for Studies in Creativity. She
teaches graduate courses in creativity, develops creativity curriculum for learners of all ages and
facilitates teams and organizations to lead change. She published over 30 articles, chapters and books,
including co-authored two books on Creative Problem Solving for children and a research study on the
lives of mature women of creative accomplishment. Her research interests include teaching and training
creativity, including utilizing the Torrance Incubation Model of Teaching & Learning and educational
applications of creativity within subject areas and talent development. She has worked in on five
continents and over a dozen countries to enhance creative performance and assist teachers, trainers and
organizational leaders to nurture creativity in others. Dr. Keller-Mathers holds a B.S. in Elementary
Education, a M.S. in Creativity and a Ed.D in Curriculum and Instruction.
Susan can be reached at: email@example.com
International Center for Studies in Creativity Buffalo State
1300 Elmwood Avenue, Chase Hall 246
Buffalo, NY 14222
716.878.4070 fax: 716.878.4040