Minutes of the Meeting of the Tamalpais Boosters
A regular meeting of the Tamalpais Boosters was held at the Hawks Nest in the Tamalpais High
School Student Center on Wednesday, March 3, 2010, at 7:00 p.m. In attendance were Elizabeth
Suzuki, Jamie Firmage, Wade Schlueter, Jackie Raffa, Julia Abramson, Kerry Huffman, Ken
Rosenberg, Bruce Dorfman, Ingrid Francis, Scott Madsen, Susan Gertman, Greg Norris, Anna
Davenport, Bill Gilmore, and Stephanie Dorfman.
1. As the first order of business, upon motion duly made and seconded, the minutes of the
February 3, 2010 meeting were approved.
2. Athletic Director’s Report by Christina Amoroso. Spring sports are in full swing. With
modernization almost complete, all teams are now back at Tam. Volleyball is hosting an all MCAL
jamboree next weekend. The District is buying bleachers for the pool (similar to the bleachers
Boosters purchased for the Tennis Court).
3. Facilities Report by Corbett Elsen. District budget cuts are coming. The District is funded by
State funds and property tax revenue. The State is planning to cut all funding to Basic Aid Districts
(which we are) and property tax revenues are down. In addition, the State is asking all Basic Aid
Districts to give back their “fair share” of their property tax revenues. The Tam District is complying in
the hope of avoiding the push to get rid of Basic Aid funding all together. There is a 3.9 million dollar
deficit predicted for next year (District wide). The District will use 1.3 million of its reserve to offset the
deficit, which will still leave us with a 2.6 million dollar deficit. It is anticipated that the District will need
to reduce administration, teachers and support staff, and will need to increase class sizes. There will
be cuts to the Athletic Directors budget, but since the budget is very slim already - there is not much
to cut. The school will likely need even more funds from Boosters. It was also noted that protocols
need to be followed in making donations to Tam sports. Funds should not be given directly to
coaches or teachers.
4. Financial Report by Wade Schlueter. Approximately $99,000 in the bank, 2/3 of which are
general funds and 1/3 of which are team funds. There were approximately $3,000 of expenses for the
Crab Feed. Recent large checks were for Tennis Bleachers, 2 ice machines, and Gus Gym
5. President’s Report by Elizabeth Suzuki. The Crab Feed netted approximately $14,000. The
Golf Tournament is coming up on May 17th, and we have spots for 144 golfers. Boosters will ask
each sport to send out at least one foursome.
6. Field Update. The District is working on getting overdue maintenance done on the multi-
purpose and baseball fields, and are looking at longer range improvements for the multi-purpose field.
7. Presentation by Susan Gertman - Tam College Career Counselor, and Scott Madsen - Private
College Sports Counselor.
Next meeting Wednesday, April 7, 2010 in the Tam Library. It will be a joint PTSA/Boosters
meeting, which will include a video on concussions.
The meeting adjourned at 8:25 p.m.