Wind and Weather
1. Our earth’s atmosphere is composed of about 78%
___________, about 21% ______________, and about 1%
2. What is air pressure?
3. Why is air pressure generally lower at lower altitudes?
4. What are air masses?
5. What causes air masses to move? (Why does the wind blow?)
6. What usually happens when air masses meet and interact?
7. Why do some people get headaches when a storm is
8. What instrument is used to measure barometric pressure?
9. What three things determine how strong wind blows and
where it blows to?
a. PGF (Pressure Gradient Force)
c. Coriolus Effect
10.What are global winds?
11.What are local winds?
12.How do airline pilots use air pressure and wind to fly planes?