Cartooning in New York City
By: Sean Winker, Nora Egloff,
and Brian Moldashel
Notable NYC Cartoonists
• Stan Lee – born 1922. Co-created Spider-man, The Fantastic Four,
X-Men, Hulk, Daredevil, and other famous Marvel Comic characters.
• Saul Steinberg (1914- 1999) – Created hundreds of cartoons for
the New Yorker magazine.
• Art Spiegelman – born February 15, 1948, most known for his Maus
series, which paralleled parents’ experiences during the Holocaust.
Maus has won numerous international awards and distinctions.
• Peter Kuper – born September 22, 1958. His most notable works
include Spy vs. Spy, Eye of the Beholder, World War 3: Illustrated,
• Eric Drooker – born in 1958. Worked right out of Tompkins Square
Park in New York City. His most graphic novels are Flood! And Blood
Song: A Silent Ballad
History of Comic Art in NYC
• What is the oldest surviving New
York City newspaper??
• Many famous political cartoons have
been featured in other New York
• Many comic books are set in New
Publications Based in NYC
• DC Comics
– Mad Magazine
• Marvel Comics
• The New York Times
• The New Yorker
• The Onion
• The Village Voice
• Kugel, Allison. Stan Lee: From Marvel Comics Genius to Purveyor of
Wonder with POW! Entertainment. March 16, 2006
• Huang, Victoria. Skeleton and Silhouettes: Optimism in Eric
Drooker’s Art. March 17, 2004. University of California
• Roalf, Peggy. Peter Kuper’s Diario de Oaxaca. September 10, 2009.
Design Arts Daily
• Ginsberg, Allen. Drooker’s Illuminations. December 28, 1995.