POST NUMBER AF RESCT 0300
CLOSING DATE: 19 SEPTEMBER 2010
HEADQUARTERS / UNIT: HQ ISAF
LOCATION: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
JOB TITLE: FUNCTIONAL AREA SYSTEM TECHNICIAN
GRADE: ICC IIA
The benefit package includes:
- € 5,017.00 monthly salary, tax-free in the host country.
- € 74.04 per day spent in the Theatre
(€ 42.31 Hazard allowance + € 31.73 austere living allowance).
- Installation allowance equal to one-month salary
(50% to be reimbursed if not completing two consecutive years of service).
- Accommodation in the Camp, free of charge.
- Meals of good quality available to purchase.
- Laundry at nominal charge.
- Two days of annual leave per month.
- Start of Tour & End of Tour paid transportation.
- 5 + 2 days “Leave from Theatre” plus reimbursement of ticket
up to € 1000.00 for every 6 months spent in the Theatre.
- Medical Insurance from Van Breda International, small fee charged.
PART II – CE DUTIES
A. Post Context:
The HQ ISAF Communication Support Team (CST) provides the necessary
communications for HQ ISAF and other designated elements. The HQ ISAF
Communication Support Team (CST) implements HQ ISAF wide CIS directives. The
FAS Technician works closely with all HQ ISAF CJ6 departments as well as the ISAF
Joint Command (IJC) Capability Fielding Coordinator to plan and execute capability
fielding throughout HQ ISAF.
B. Reports to: LAN/WAN Manager.
C. Principal Duties:
- Drafts plans to implement ISAF HQ communications Capability Fielding.
- Coordinates with cable, helpdesk, systems administration and ISAF HQ CJ6
leadership to draw necessary manpower for capabilities implementation.
- Coordinates ISAF HQ system configuration changes with the ISAF Joint Command
CJ6 Configuration Management office
- Works closely with the ISAF Joint Command CJ6 Operations and Plans to ensure
seamless fielding of CIS capabilities
- Maintains a thorough working knowledge of existing FAS’ within ISAF HQ with the
ability to provide 1st Line/2nd Line support to user problems.
D. Additional Duties:
- The incumbent of the post may be required to perform other related duties as
PART III - QUALIFICATIONS
A. Essential Qualifications:
1. Professional / Experience:
- Must have six years experience with complex IT networks on local and enterprise
level. Must have knowledge and experience with networked IT architecture,
including network routing and switching equipment, network operating systems
(including Active Directory) and desktop computer configuration.
- Previous experience working with one or more NATO FASs
- Experience with switching and routing equipment from various vendors
- Experience in a CISCO environment
- Experience with data networks and systems in a major corporation or military
- In-depth experience with network monitoring tools in an enterprise network
- Experience with various network protocols
- GRE tunnelling experience
- Experienced troubleshooting in mixed environment
- Solid experience supporting and troubleshooting Server OS and hardware.
- Solid experience with Microsoft Exchange Server.
2. Education / Training:
- Completion of post secondary education and vocational training in the Data
Communications, Information Systems or CIS related area.
3. Security Clearance:
- NATO security clearance up to secret.
- National authorities are asked to ensure that security clearance is provided before the
arrival of the individual.
4. Language (Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing, according STANAG 6001).
The normal working language within the organisation is English for all written and oral
5. Standard Automated Data Processing (ADP) Knowledge:
a. Word Processing : Advanced Knowledge
b. Spreadsheet : Advanced Knowledge
c. Graphic Presentation : Advanced Knowledge
d. Database : Advanced Knowledge
B. Desirable Qualifications:
- CIS Service Desk support arena
- ITIL experience
- Previous experience of a military CIS environment
- Previous experience in a NATO military body.
2. Education / Training:
- Project Management Training.
- NATO CIS Orientation Course at Latina, Italy
- Certified Network Administrator
- Certified System Administrator.
C. CIVILIAN POST
1. Personal Attributes:
- The candidate must demonstrate strong administrative skills. He/She must be able to
gather information and present it in a way which is understandable and actionable by
- Must have a good understanding of organisational staff work
- Must be mature, highly motivated, and possess good presentational skills and
interpersonal skills as they will be dealing with personnel at all levels of the
organisation. Ideally the candidate will also bring a wealth of best practices with them
from previous work
- The candidate must demonstrate confidence and should be a proactive person
- Having a comprehensive grasp of the military culture is an advantage.
2. Managerial Responsibilities:
- The position requires a medium level of managerial responsibility
- Candidate is expected to effectively manage his/her time and resources needed in
the execution of his/her duties in order to bring all assigned tasks to fruition
- Expected to operate effectively in an autonomous environment
3. Professional Contacts:
- The candidate will be required to establish and maintain good working relations with
both military and civilian personnel in and outside of his or her immediate team
4. Contribution to the Objectives:
- The candidate will be expected to learn, understand and strive to meet the CIS
priorities set by the ISAF CJ6. There is an open and receptive environment for best
practices brought by personnel employed in the department and it is expected the
candidate will contribute fully in this respect. The candidate will be expected to work
in a team environment.
5. Work Environment:
- Fast-paced, multinational environment. Living conditions may be deemed austere.
- Initial 12 month contract with possible extensions.
- Because of the dynamic environment, ISAF CE posts are under regular review
and therefore job contents, including contract duration and contractual grade
may change during the contractual period.