SHEFFIELD CITY COUNCIL
DIRECTORATE CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE
SECTION YOUTH OFFENDING SERVICE
POST/TITLE YOUTH OFFENDING SERVICE OFFICER
GRADE SUG 6 – SUG 8 (YOSO 1 – YOSO 3 Scale
point 27 – 37)
Qualification bar at scale point 28
RESPONSIBLE TO TEAM MANAGER / SENIOR
RESPONSIBLE FOR NIL STAFF
HOLIDAY AND BY YOUTH OFFENDING SERVICE
SICKNESS RELIEF FOR YOUTH OFFENDING SERVICE
PURPOSE OF JOB TO PREVENT AND REDUCE THE
SERIOUSNESS OF OFFENDING BY
YOUNG PEOPLE WITHIN THE
REQUIREMENTS OF CURRENT
GOVERNMENT LEGISLATION AND
ISSUE DATE May 07 WORKING FOR SHEFFIELD
QUALIFICATION Foundation Degree in Youth Justice
A professional qualification from one of the
YOS’s 5 statutory partners:
Police; Probation; Health; CYPD
A relevant Degree plus PCEP
KNOWLEDGE Extensive knowledge of the Criminal Justice
Knowledge of individual and groupwork
techniques appropriate for young offenders.
Knowledge of City Council Policies on Child
Protection, family support.
Knowledge of the causes and consequences
of crime and effective practice.
Extensive knowledge of child and adolescent
EXPERIENCE Direct work with young people and their
SKILLS Ability to promote and work in an anti-
oppressive and anti-discriminatory manner.
Good communication skills.
Ability to engage, motivate and challenge
socially excluded adolescents to achieve a
change in their thinking and behaviour.
To plan and implement integrated sentence
plans with offenders.
Ability to work within a multi-disciplinary
Ability to work in partnership with volunteers
and voluntary agencies.
Ability to liase effectively with other
professionals and statutory agencies.
PERSONAL QUALITIES Commitment
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT Availability to work at evenings, weekends
and on Bank Holidays.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To work in accordance with the policies and procedures of Sheffield City
Council, The Children and Young Peoples Directorate and the requirements
of Youth Justice Board National Standards.
1. As part of a multi-agency Youth Offending Service, to provide a
comprehensive service to young people and their families involved in
or at risk of offending.
2. Responsibility for assessments of risk of re-offending, risk of
vulnerability and risk of serious harm by young people, and the
completion of intervention plans and risk management plans to address
3. To have allocated responsibility for high risk of harm and complex
cases within the YOS. The following are examples of such cases:
Registered Child Protection cases, Sex Offenders, MAPPA cases and
high risk PPO’s.
4. To be the lead professional in appropriate cases: Registered Sex
Offenders, MAPPA cases and Catch and Convict PPO’s.
5. To develop, contribute towards and participate in programmes of
intervention designed to prevent re-offending.
6. To deliver interventions at the office, in the community or in custodial
institutions throughout England and Wales, as necessary.
7. To manage statutory programmes and interventions for young people
subject to all statutory orders, including custody in line with National
8. To assess suitability for young people recommended for preventative
and first tier programmes, including YISP, YIP, PAYP and final
9. To prepare a range of written reports as required.
10. The post-holder will have overall case responsibility for all orders and
reports allocated to them and will be expected to prepare cases for
variation, revocation or breach where relevant
11. Work with Service Districts and Safer Neighbourhood teams in order to
seek new and effective methods of meeting community needs and
identifying young people at risk of offending or demonstrating anti–
12. To act, if required, as the Youth Offending Service representative in
Youth, Magistrates and Crown Courts.
13. To liase with other agencies and professionals to ensure access to
services and best outcomes for young people.
14. To provide duty cover across the range of services offered by the
Youth Offending Service.
15. To carry out duties in accordance with the Health and Safety at Work
Act, adopting safe working practice, in accordance with Council Policy.
16. The post-holder will be responsible for recording effectively on the
Youth Offending Service’s computerised recording systems.
17. Willingness to work with sex offenders.
18. To work with parents, where appropriate, in individual or group work
19. Willingness to work with victims, when appropriate with support.
20. The post-holder will additionally carry out any other duties and
responsibilities appropriate to the grade, as may be agreed between
management and the appropriate trade unions.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
All Youth Offending Service post-holders are reminded that the nature of the
work of this post will involve undertaking duties outside normal office hours
and acceptance of the terms and conditions of service indicates a willingness
to undertake such duties.
In some posts out of hours working is a regular requirement. These posts
attract additional increments.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To keep under review personal development needs, keep informed of current
issues and be alert to the City Council and Sheffield Youth Offending Service
training programme and policies.
Health and Safety
To safeguard the Health and Safety of all persons and premises under young
control and in accordance with the guidance and provisions of Health and
Safety Legislation and Authority and Departmental Codes of Practice and
To exercise proper care in handling, operating and safeguarding any
equipment, vehicle or appliance provided, used or issued by the City Council
or provided by a third party for collective use in the performance of your
To uphold the City Council’s equal opportunities policies and practices in
carrying out your main responsibilities.
To take account of the environment issues arising from any service
developments, and familiarise yourself with City Council green policies and
established offices and work practices.
To work with computer and other new technology and associated systems as
This job indicates the main areas of activity of this post. From time to time,
however, other tasks/duties may be required but these will fall within the
general area of responsibility and grade of post.