The Good, the Bad, and
Digitizing on a Shoestring
Project #1: OCA/IA
• What are the costs?
• How will we pay?
• Selection process
– --Budget/page limit
– --What are others doing?
– --What gets used? Reference driven
Workhorses vs. Beauties
Work Flow/Staff Labor Costs
• Create Paging List • Create Metadata List
• Stack Retrieval • Share bib records
• Preservation • Books picked up and
• Checking out • Checking In
• Packing for transfer • Reshelving
• Create Packing List • Quality Control!
Metadata Request Form
San Francisco Municipal Reports
Project #2: GSU and City Records
Down in the basement
Different formats and sizes
Digital equipment and set-up
• Quality control
• Public access
• Storage and preservation of digital assets
• Preservation of
• Access! IA material
Stretching the institution
• Creates new job descriptions and
interdepartmental work flows
• Who’s responsible?
• Who pays?
• Can we retrain staff?
• Where should the digital library live in the
• Sonoma Wine Librarians:
• Vestkustens (SF Swedish newspaper)
• Maritime Museum (NPS)
• City Agencies: PUC, MUNI, Planning Dept
• Digitize the workhorses, not just the
• Digitize what your community uses. Meet
• Digitize for preservation and/or access
• Just do it!
Susan Goldstein, City Archivist
San Francisco History Center
San Francisco Public Library
100 Larkin Street
San Francisco, CA 94102