Vexcel, Boulder, Colorado
• Wave front coding applies concepts from coherent radar signal processing and
design to incoherent imaging systems.
• The firm has produced off-the-shelf precision 3D terrain and building data for over 50 cities
world-wide. Twelve U.S. cities were recently added to the collection, including: San
Francisco; Los Angeles; Austin; San Antonio; Dallas; Salt Lake City; and the Arlington and
Rosslyn suburbs of Washington D.C. Nine cities were also added to Vexcel's international off-
the-shelf database, including: Sao Paulo, Rio, Vitoria, Brazil; Buenos Aires, Argentina;
Stockholm, Sweden; and the Canadian cities of London, Victoria, Edmonton, Saskatoon, as
well as additional areas of Toronto.
• These data sets are designed to assist broadband wireless communication service providers in
planning and implementing new wireless networks, expanding existing networks, locating
base stations, and providing full network maintenance.
Commercialization • Vexcel Corporation today announced the addition of Linux-based systems to
• The firm provides a variety of information products and services utilizing advanced their Vexcel Data Capture System (VxDCS) product line. VxDCS,
photogrammetry, GIS, and mapping technologies. Products and services are grouped as previously available only for the Unix platform, is the leading solution for
follows according to underlying technologies, applications, and approximate accuracy direct-to-disk data acquisition (and optional retransmission) of satellite
of measurements: downlinks and other high rate data.
• Close-Range Photogrammetry
Example products: FotoG software, as-built CAD models, integrated systems
Example applications: Industrial engineering, entertainment, forensics Government/Science Applications
Nominal accuracy: Sub-inch •The firm has completed its Apex Ground StationTM for EOS. The
• Spatial Information for Telecommunications turnkey system is specially designed for direct reception and
Example products: 3D building models, DEMs, demographic data processing of data from NASA's Terra satellite and follow-on
Example applications: Wireless and fixed wire telecommunications networks missions. Terra was successfully launched on December 18, 1999,
Nominal accuracy: 1 meter and is the "flagship" to NASA's Earth Observation System (EOS)
• GIS, Mapping & Photogrammetry series of satellites.
Example products: Topographic maps, ortho photos
Example customers: Municipal, state, national government agencies •The firm was awarded a contract from NASA to provide close range
Nominal accuracy: Sub-meter to 100 meter photogrammetry technology for use on the International Space Station.
• The firm announced a 2002 contract win with the National Imagery and Mapping Close range photogrammetry is used for deriving accurate measurements
Agency (NIMA) to develop technology that will map the region of land north of the from digital imagery. NASA intends to use Vexcel’s close range
Earth’s 60 degrees latitude. photogrammetry software, commercially available as FotoGTM, to extract
measurements from digital images for a variety of projects.
Points of Contact:
Johnson Space Center Date of Update: 03-20-03 NASA : email@example.com Vexcel : firstname.lastname@example.org
Success Story 9-054 1994 SBIR Phase II; NAS 9-19497