EDCF GENERAL MEETING
Technical Module developments – Peter Wilson
Following on from Cine Expo we have the following reports.
1. Mastering Process for the D-Cinema End-to-End Chain Publication
We have the following volunteers for this work:
Patrick Von Sychowski
I have written the forward to kick the document off, we now urgently
need an editor to pull the various sections together and to get
agreement from the volunteering contributors what their section will
At this meeting we will assign the chapter topics to the volunteers.
2. Interoperability between levels 2 and 3
The EDCine project will cover this issue but as the project runs for
three years there is a need for a guideline document much earlier.
David Monk suggested that the EDCF should explain how to do this
and Al Barton thought the brief should be to advise an exhibitor on
how to equip an alternative content compatible venue. Volunteers
were Siegfried Foessel, Kommer Kleijn, Rob Spray with myself as chair.
I had originally coined the term ‘B Chain’ for this system, but was
advised by Jason that this term is already used in the audio
environment. Any suggestions for a generic term for this topic?
As yet I have not started this document, at IBC on Friday there was a
session discussing this topic and there will be a session in Koln at the
end of September.
I will write the foreword in October and would welcome any extra
Angelo highlighted the need to train the trainers for the new
technology of digital cinema.
Angelo will make a separate presentation.
There are three interoperability initiatives in Europe. The Nordic
project situation in Norway, ISA centred in France and Fraunhofer IIS
who have a contract from DCI to manufacture test materials and test
plans. There was agreement at the meeting that these three initiatives
would cooperate. Andrew Perkis from the Nordic Project will briefly
Patrick Von Sychowski Will make a separate presentation.
5. Archive Group
The EDCF will form an archive group within the T module. Nicola
Mazzanti made a presentation which is covered in the minutes.
Paul Read will prepare a short summary of the archives views, aims and
policies and try to make some sense of a very disparate group for
EDCT T members.
6. Frame Rates for Europe
Following on from amicable discussions about how to add European
frame rates to the SMPTE DC28 standard, it was decided at the SMPTE
DC28 meeting held at Cine Expo that a study group would be formed
to evaluate the IMAGO frame rate proposal and facilitate the best way
to add relevant frame rates to the standard. Again we need companies
with SMPTE membership and individuals to carry out the committee
work to facilitate these additions to DC28. Please let me know if you
are willing to assist in the standardization process and I will coordinate
with Wendy Aylsworth.
Kommer Kleijn from Imago has submitted the work request form to
DC28 and Wendy Aylsworth has agreed that this work can take place
primarily in Europe.
Kommer Kleijn will chair the group and I hope to be able to name the
secretary at this meeting.
Peter Wilson hddc Ltd 05 September 06