JOHN W. MARINUCCI; Ed.D., CIA, CFE
Seasoned Executive, Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Fraud Examiner, Doctorate Degree, Extensive experience in Auditing &
Audit team leadership, Financial Management, Leadership & Management, Operations Management, Executive level Construction
Project Management, Strategic Planning & Visioning, Budgeting & Policy, and Business process re-engineering .
August 2011 to Present: Woodbridge School District, Bridgeville, DE
Director of Administrative Services: Provided leadership and guidance to teams of professional and non-professional
personnel providing non-curricular support services to include:
1. Direct & manage design, bidding and construction of $52.5 mil Woodbridge high school; Manage all capital funds.
2. Direct & manage district facilities operation and maintenance, to include Minor Capital Improvement funds.
3. Direct & manage $1.4 mil pupil transportation system with 37 routes.
4. Assist in management of district finances.
January 2006 to August 2011: Delaware Department of Education, Dover DE
Education Associate, Capital Planning & Construction: Provide executive leadership and guidance to internal
departmental customers, external school district customers, and State governmental leaders regarding capital planning
and project control.
1. Served as Director of Finance and General Services from January 2008 through August 2009 as interim assignment
Directed & managed the development & administrative oversight of DOE’s $1.2 billion operating budget.
Liaised with District and Charter school Superintendents, State Cabinet Offices, and Legislature.
Initiated project prioritization system and process.
2. Develop & manage DOE Major Capital Improvement Budget – annual scope = $120 to $140 mil.
Liaise with Architects, Planners, School District Superintendents, State Cabinet Offices, Controller Generals
Office, State Bonding Counsel as well as the State Legislature.
Recommend approval of construction projects, review and approve plans and specifications.
3. Provide statewide managerial oversight of $7.6 million annual Minor Capital Improvement funds.
4. Authorize & approve increases/decreases to statewide custodial allocation of 1375+ positions & $37 mil. salaries.
5. Coordinated DOE disaster response and recovery services with DEMA during declared state of emergency.
6. Direct & manage New Castle County Voluntary School Assessment fee collection of approx. $2.0 mil per year.
June 2000 to January 2006: Milford School District, Milford DE
Director of Operations: Provided leadership and guidance to multiple teams of professional and non-professional
personnel providing non-curricular support services to include:
1. Directed & managed maintenance/operation of facilities. Implemented on-line maintenance work order system.
2. Directed & managed operational and maintenance budgets to include Minor Capital Improvement funds.
3. Managed $27 mil capital program from design to occupancy. Completed projects on time and on or under budget.
4. Directed & managed $2.3 mil pupil transportation system = 75 routes, improved bus route efficiency by +-22%.
5. Directed & managed instructional and administrative technology department through subordinate manager.
Implemented performance measures, managed replacement cycles and an on-line work order system. Improved Tech
Department customer satisfaction rating from <70% to >93% “good to excellent”.
October 1996 to June 2000: Department of Transportation, Div. of Highway Operations, Dover DE
Chief of Administration/Business Manager: Served as Deputy Director of business and finance of Highway Operations.
Directed and managed all business and fiscal affairs of the Division of Highway Operations to include:
1. Preparation & fiscal oversight of $65 million operating budget.
Implemented regular budget monitoring and reporting system.
Developed resource allocation model; Secured legislative approval for 68 new maintenance positions.
2. Directed the implementation & managed divisions’ performance reporting and analysis system with performance
measures reporting to the Cabinet Secretary, Legislature and Governor’s Office.
3. Initiated and managed contractual agreements for professional services, equipment, supplies and materiel.
4. Directed & managed audit function of the collection, accounting, safeguarding & deposit of approx. $51 mil. in toll
receipts with 99.95% accuracy performance expectation, achieved performance exceeded 99.97% regularly.
5. Served on union negotiation teams & Departmental Hearing Officer for pre-dismissal and Union grievance cases.
6. Served as Interim Director of Turnpikes – Feb. 96 through Sept. 96 at the request of Cabinet Secretary, Immediately
prior to assuming Chief of Administrations duties. Directed and managed I-95, I-495 and Rt. - 1 toll roads operation
and maintenance. Instrumental in securing legislative support & funding for 34 new Toll Collector positions;
Accomplished business process re-engineering of the toll collection and accounting processes; Assimilated the
Turnpike organization into DelDOT; and was an early leader in EZ-Pass system design and multi-jurisdiction
consortium business rules development.
November 1988 to October 1996: Department of Transportation, Motor Fuel Tax Admin., Dover DE
Senior Tax Auditor & Auditor: Directed and managed the Motor Fuel Tax audit function to verify the collection,
accounting, safeguarding and deposit of (+-) $110 million per year and (+-) 36,000 registrants.
1. Directed, managed, & coordinated activities of subordinate auditors; Established audit programs and goals to verify
safeguarding of tax revenue. Implemented strategic audit selection based on risk and materiality.
2. Developed standard audit programs, initiated use of permanent working paper files and adopted the Standards for the
Professional Practice of Internal Auditing.
3. Researched and interpreted federal and state statutes, assisted in tax policy administration and implementation of new
federally mandated taxation and registration programs to include the IFTA and IRP programs
4. Performed field audits of taxpayer records as Tax Auditor; Performed tax evasion investigations participated and lead
multi-jurisdictional tax audit and tax evasion investigation teams.
June 1984 to November 1988: Office of Auditor of Accounts, Townsend Building, Dover, DE 19903
State Auditor: Became experienced with all phases of auditing and Delaware State Government.
1. Conducted financial, compliance and operational audits as well as fraud investigations.
2. Documented the results of field audit work in the form of audit work papers as well as prepared audit findings for
inclusion in final audit reports.
3. Performed detailed audits of various State agencies and school districts to include audits of federal funds.
2002 to 2005: Wilmington University, Georgetown Campus; Georgetown, DE
Doctorate Degree, Educational Leadership and Innovation (Ed.D.); conferred August, 2005
1988 to 1990: Wilmington University, Silver Lake Campus; Dover, DE 19901
Masters Degree, Business Administration (MBA); conferred May, 1991 (coursework completed Dec.1990)
1979 to 1983: Delaware State University, Dover, DE 19901
Bachelor of Science Degree, Business Administration (BS); conferred May, 1983
1. Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) – Certification number 21060 conferred in May 1994; Member AIA.
2. Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) – Certification number 35084 conferred in November 1994; Member ACFE.
3. Certified Construction Reviewer (CCR) – Storm water Management Certification issued by DNREC.
4. Published Article “Skimming Some Off the Top” Fraud Magazine Published by ACFE, March/April 2011
5. Published Doctoral Dissertation; “An Exploratory Study Concerning the Effect of Walking to School, and its Impact
on Attendance, Achievement and the Drop-Out Rate of Students at the Milford High School.” 2005
6. Unpublished Novel “Plausible Deniability” Blend of Romance & Political Intrigue genres - Seeking to publish.
7. Affiliations: Union Lodge #7, Dover, DE, Past Master; 32º; Knight Templar; Nur Shrine, New Castle
8. Adjunct Faculty member; Wilmington College 1990 to present. Courses instructed: Auditing, Cost Accounting I & II,
Labor Relations, Leadership & Management; Finance courses, in Undergraduate and Graduate programs.
9. Principle & Owner of Casanucc, LLC, a real estate investment and rental property holding & management corp.
10. Managerial Consultant - Performing fraud investigation & forensic accounting/auditing consulting services to public,
private & non-profit organizations.
11. Vice President, Country Field Home Owners Association 2008 through 2010.
12. Member Boone Trust Management Committee for 2007/2008, Committee Chair 2008/2009. Boone Trust Fund is a
private trust fund with investments exceeding $3.0 million, started at $2.5 million and has grown to $3.1 million.
13. Greater Milford Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors; Term 2005 through 2007.
14. Earned the Governors Team Excellence Award in 2006 for participation in the Statewide Energy Aggregation
Partnership Steering Committee, that yielded estimated annual electric energy savings of $22.million
15. Vice President of Delaware Association of Pupil Transportation Officials; Term 2002 through 2004.
16. President of the Chatham Cove Condominium Association 1999-2001.
17. Awarded DelDOT’s Employee of the Quarter and “You Make a Difference Award” 2nd qtr. 1997.
18. Junior Achievement volunteer. Taught several JA classes in DE elementary, middle and high schools.
19. Governor’s Management Fellows Program 1990 – 1991. Rotational assignment: Office of the Budget Director.
20. Assigned to Governor’s Fuel Oil Price Investigation Task Force in winter of 1989 with the specific mission to
investigate and report to Governor and Legislature on the high price of heating fuel.