MARSH GIBBON PARISH COUNCIL
MINUTES OF THE PARISH MEETING OF THE PARISH COUNCIL
HELD ON TUESDAY 8 AUGUST 2006 AT 8.00PM IN THE VILLAGE HALL
PRESENT: Cllr J Davison, (Chairman), Cllrs D Leonard, R Cross, M Hall, I Metherell, J Smith,
E Taylor and the Parish Clerk.
1. MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING OF 11 JULY 2006: The minutes were
agreed by all councillors and were signed by the Chairman as a correct record.
2. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES:
Re SID – The Clerk reported that the SID was booked for w/c 20 September. Agreed – SID to
be delivered to Cllr Cross at the Butcher’s Shop. Agreed – Positions for SID to be – on entry to
the village at Townsend, Station Road, Castle Street. Also Church Street, outside Reading
Room Cottage. A rota to be set up. Agreed - Times for the SID to be used – 8am – 9am, 3pm
– 4pm and 5pm – 6pm. Cllr Smith volunteered to man the SID on 25 September. Cllr Davison
is to man the SID for one day 5pm – 6pm – date not yet decided. Other volunteers will be
Re AVDC Children’s Entertainment –The Clerk reported that this had taken place at the
Village Hall on Friday 28 July. The Clerk had written to Caroline Walker to thank her for helping
on the day.
Re Aylesbury Vale Local Committee Delegated Budget – Re the project for The Knob – the
work has been done – white lining still to be completed.
Re project for Bus Stop Area in Bicester Road – this work has not yet started.
Re Potholes in The Ryelands, Edgcott Road and Swan Lane – The collapsed edge of
carriageway in Edgcott Road – this work has now been done. Potholes in The Ryelands and
Swan Lane, though reported have not been attended to.
The Clerk had also reported the overgrown hedge on Acland Terrace and the weeds on the
metalled footpath between Swan Lane and Station Road.
Re Wheelie Bin for Cemetery – This has now been delivered and is being used. It was not
emptied on 1 August, but this had been reported to AVDC who are dealing with this. The village
litter bins were not emptied for 3 consecutive weeks. The Clerk had complained to AVDC and
this had been dealt with.
Re The Cemetery – The Clerk, after consulting with the Chairman, had asked Albert Hodges to
fill in the cracks in some of the graves in Section B. He will need to bring soil for this and the
Clerk advised him that he should invoice the PC for this and for his time.
Cllr Davison queried whether the PC should arrange for some top soil for The Knob before the
W.I. plant their spring bulbs. Cllr Leonard to arrange for a quote from A J Cox for the required
top soil. This item to be discussed at the September meeting.
Re Cemetery Gates – Cllr Taylor reported – Pat Taylor had inspected the gates and suggested
that they should be shotblasted and repainted. Cllr Cross proposed and all agreed that the
gates should be shotblasted. Cllr Taylor to get the names of 2 contractors for this work. The
Clerk then to write for quotes.
3. ITEMS FOR PUBLIC PARTICIPATION:
There were no members of the public present.
4. GENERAL CORRESPONDENCE:
News for the Parishes No 4/2006 including information on AVDC Project Grants 2006/07;
Grants from WREN; Parish Plans Grants for 2006/07; Gambling laws; Volunteer of the Year
2006; Transfer of Housing Stock from AVDC to Aylesbury Housing Trust. Also list of Parish
Clerks and Correspondents.
Leaflets re Volunteer of the Year Awards 2006.
Information about Meetings – 10 July to 30 August.
Leaflet re the Benefits Service.
Email – 3 August re Register of Electors and with monthly elector alterations re August.
Letter – 31 July re Play in Aylesbury Vale. AVDC is currently developing the Play Strategy for
Aylesbury Vale and asks for comments on the attached draft. This will enable them to prioritise
actions for play for the forthcoming years. Comments by Friday 8 September. Agreed – Clerk
to comlete the audit questionnaire.
Letter – 13 July re Bucks Minerals and Waste Local Development Framework: Draft
Statement of Community Involvement (SCI). Also enclosed were a Feedback Form; a
Consultation Monitoring Information form; a Customer Satisfaction Survey; and a Stakeholder
Questionnaire – responses by 8 Sept.
Letter – 24 July re Milton Keynes Long-Term Growth Strategy with summary brochure and
consultation questionnaire. Response by 15 September. Copied to all cllrs. Cllr Metherell
proposed, Cllr Taylor seconded and all agreed – the Clerk to respond and request that the
look again at the development potential for the area to the east of the MI motorway, in order to
ease the pressure on Aylesbury Vale.
Letter – 12 July with agenda for Cluster Meeting for Cllr John Cartwright & Cllr Michael
Edmonds – 17 July 6:30 – 8:30pm, Quainton Village Hall.
Letter – 12 July re Temporary Traffic Regulation Order: U28 Heet Road, MG – revised dates
– 1.8.06 to 8.8.06.
Letter – 25 July re Second Local Transport Plan 2006 – 2011. This is now available for the
Parish. If PC wants a copy - collect from Local Area Co-ordinators or send a cheque for £10 to
Letter 28 July re Reductions in the County Council’s Capital Programme. “Lack of
Government funding and complicated changes as to how it is calculated” means that BCC has
decided to reduce the County Council’s Capital Programme.
Results of BCC decision means that
School Schemes totaling £22m, including 12 large new building projects, have been put
Transportation schemes, totalling £18m over the next 3 years have had to be cut. The
Service is looking at a reduction of £6m p.a. and is putting all schemes on hold whilst it
carries out an evaluation to see which can go ahead.
Letter 17 July re Cherwell Banbury & North Cherwell Site Allocations Development Plan
Document – consultation deadline has been extended to Friday 25 August 06.
Letter – rec’d 29 July re Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 re RAF Upper
Heyford Revised Comprehensive Planning Document and Sustainability Appraisal
Report. Consultation period from Mon 31 July to Mon 11 Sept. All agreed – Cllr Metherell to
go through the document and pass any comments back to the Clerk.
Email – 17 July re Household Waste Sites with press release (to go out 18 July) and FAQ sheet.
Email – 19 July re the above – Further information – Report to Cabinet Member for Strategic
Planning on Household Waste Sites.
Email – 25 July re the above and DIY Clarification on the scheme.
Bucks Best Kept Village and Bucks Village of the Year competition results. Marsh Gibbon is
runner-up in the Bucks Village of the Year – Smaller Community Category (population up to
Matters Arising – Newsletter – Summer 2006.
Aylesbury Vale North Sports Council – Letter – 21 July re Annual Awards 2006 with
BBOWT – Letter 1 August re Wetlands Project – updating Parish Council on the Project and
asking if they could attend a PC meeting to update the PC on aims and successes and to
discuss how the Project can improve its working relationships with local people. Cllr Taylor
proposed and all agreed – ask if they can attend the APM in 2007 and update the PC then.
PC to get in touch nearer the time.
BCA – Letter – 14 July re Affordable Housing in MG – advising that Sam Galvin is leaving his
post on 27 July. BCA are currently recruiting a replacement Rural Housing Enabler. Contact
information is given for the interim period.
BPFA – ‘The Playing Field’ - Newsletter – Summer 2006.
BTCV – Letter – 11 July re Bucks Tree Warden Scheme. The scheme was established in
1991 and is part of the National Tree Warden Scheme organised by The Tree Council. In order
to continue co-ordinating the Bucks Tree Wardens, BTCV is asking for PC support. Cllr
Metherell proposed, Cllr Cross seconded and all agreed – PC to make no contribution.
Central Networks – Letter – 18 July re ‘Building Better and Safer Environments in your
Community’. Central Networks is offering community groups and not for profit organisations
the opportunity to apply for funds for projects eg children’s playgrounds; nature reserves etc.
Funding to a maximum of £2,500.
Charity Commission – Letter – July 2006 re the ‘Governance Hub’ and ‘the Code of
Governance for the Voluntary and Community Sector’
HMP Springhill – Minutes of Focus Group Meeting held on 5 July.
Playground Facilities Ltd – Letter – 24 July and advertising re play equipmnent.
Advertising for Bucks & Berks Local Conference – Holiday Inn, Tring Road, Aylesbury –
Thursday 28 Sept, 10:ooam – 3:45pm.
Letter – June 2006 – re the benefits of council clerk becoming a member of the Society of Local
Technical Surfaces – Newsletter – Summer 2006.
Thames Valley Police – Email – 3 August with invitation to Chairman to attend a briefing by
Assistant Chief Constable Nick Gargan who holds the portfolio for local Policing within Thames
Valley Police. This will be in relation to Neighbourhood Policing and Police Community Support
Officers. It will be held on 20 September at 18:45 and the venue will be Bucks Chiltern
University College, Chalfont St Giles Campus. Mr Gargan would like all Parish Councils across
the County to have a voice at this briefing and has asked that all respective PC Chairmans are
invited to attend and if they cannot, to nominate a deputy. The Chairman to attend.
Thames Valley Police Museum Open Day – Letter – 11 July re Open Day in Sulhamstead, nr
Reading on 12 August – 10am – 4 pm.
Wicksteed Leisure – Advertising literature re playground equipment.
5. PLANNING CORRESPONDENCE:
Bulletin 24/06 Planning Applications Received:
Plot 7, Westbury Manor Farm, Moat Lane, MG
Erection of dwelling with rear dormer windows
(Amendment to 01/01958/APP)
Sidalls (Bicester) Ltd
P.C’s COMMENTS: No objections.
Applications determined without reference to the Committee
The Cottage, The College, MG
Internal Alterations to bathroom, removal of internal wall, new
entrance door and windows and erection of oil tank enclosure
Mr and Mrs Hunter
DECISION: Listed Building Consent
Bulletin 25/06 Planning Applications Received:
Cllrs Metherell and Taylor declared an interest in application no 06/01774/APP and left the
14 Clements Lane, MG
Demolition of existing garage and erection of double
detached garage with ancillary accommodation in roofspace
P.C’s COMMENTS: No objections.
Cllrs Metherelll and Taylor rejoined the meeting.
Bulletin 26/06 Nothing
Bulletin 27/06 Nothing
Development Control Committee Meetings –
22 Jun 2006 – Minutes Nothing
3 Aug 2006 – Agenda Nothing
6. CLERK’S FINANCIAL REPORT:
Payments to be Approved: £
Marsh Gibbon Village Hall – Booking – 11 July 06 8.50
ABB – Repair to faulty street light – light No 1 Scotts Close 32.14
M Dempsey – Village Grasscutting – 3 cuts (7/6, 29/6 & 27/7) + Cemetery Hedge
UHY Hacker Young – Audit Fee re Accounts y/e 31 March 2006 141.00
P Evershed – Parish Clerk – Salary & Expenses – July 06
R J Tyrrell Funeral Directors re Interment of Ashes re the late Henry Arthur Colver 130.00
Balance of Community A/C at 28 Jul 2006
Less o/s drs to date (203.50)
Net Balance 374.39
Balance of Business Premium A/C at 28 Jul 2006 8,978.34
Balance of Earmarked Reserves A/C at 28 Jul 2006 19,777.88
All agreed the above payments.
Barclays Bank – Letter – 7 July confirming new signing arrangements are now in place.
UHY Hacker Young – Letter – 3 August re Audited Parish Council Accounts y/e 31 March 2006,
confirming completion of audit and enclosing audited Annual Return together with the necessary
public notice in this respect (copied to all cllrs). Also enclosed is a questionnaire for completion re
Hacker Young’s audit performance in 2006.
The 2006 audit marks the end of UHY Hacker Young’s five year contract for Bucks and new
external auditors may be appointed for 2007 onwards. (NB New fees may come into force).
7. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION:
No items to be discussed.
8. AFFORDABLE HOUSING IN MARSH GIBBON:
The Clerk reported – the errors in the final report had been had been brought to the attention of
Sam Galvin with a request for them to be corrected. The necessary amendments to the report
had been made. Sam Galvin had sent a letter to Tony Barker AVDC Planning with maps of his
suggested sites. Andrew Robson of Sidleys had written on behalf of Ewelme Almshouse
Trustees confirming that they are aware that a Housing Needs Survey has recently been
undertaken in the village and that if this survey should show a need within the village, the
Trustees “may be able to help by providing land on which it might be constructed”.
Cllr Metherell proposed, Cllr Hall seconded and all agreed - the Clerk to write to Tony
Barker advising that the PC is pleased to know that the need has been identified but the PC
would not necessarily support or consider suitable the sites identified by Sam Galvin. A copy of
the letter from Ewelme to be sent to Tony Barker with PC’s comments that the Charity may have
land that the PC might consider suitable.
Cllr Metherell proposed, Cllr Smith seconded and all agreed – the Clerk to respond to
Ewelme advising that PC has sent a copy of their letter to AVDC. Copy of letter to AVDC and a
copy of the Report to go to Ewelme. All to be copied to David Askew, Hastoe Housing
9. LEISURE FACILITIES IN MARSH GIBBON:
The minutes of the Leisure Facilities Committee meeting held on 27 July had been
emailed/given to all cllrs and to the Clerk by Cllr Metherell.
Cllr Metherell reported that Tony Bentley had not been keen on the idea of giving up one of the
fields he farms, in order that the area for leisure facilities at the Recreation Ground could be
increased. Nick Turner is now the new Treasurer of MGS&SC. All Officers of MGS&SC have
changed and the new committee will need to meet to assess the situation. The next meeting of
the Leisure Facilities Committee has been arranged for 31 August, which should allow time for
MGS&SC Officers to meet beforehand.
Cllr Cross advised that it may be best to approach Ewelme Almshouse Trustees (the
landowners) and Tony Bentley (the tenant farmer) together.
10. NEIGHBOURHOOD POLICING:
No representative of the PC had been able to attend the last meeting of NAG. PC Peter
Dowling had requested that if neither Cllr Davison, Smith or Metherell were able to attend a
meeting, then a representative for Marsh Gibbon should attend. The next meeting of NAG is on
23 August at Marsh Gibbon. Cllrs Davison and Smith to attend. Cllr Smith confirmed that the
VHall would be available FOC. Cllr Smith also reported that the ‘black paint’ had now been
applied to the flat roof at the Village Hall and that warning notices had been erected - no
problems to date.
11. ENVIRONMENTAL MATTERS:
Re Seat o/s The School – The Clerk reported that she had instructed Philip Vick to do the
maintenance work on the seat outside the school and that he had been given the Hammerite
and thinners for the metal of the seat. To date, the work had not been done. The Clerk to ring
Re Stump Well – The Clerk reported on investigations concerning the status of Stump Well.
Margaret Freeman of BCC had confirmed (in Feb 2006) that Stump Well was registered as
Common Land – Ref CL269 – and that the owner at that time was given as Ewelme Almshouse
Trustees. Cllr Taylor reported that she had inspected the well and taken photographs. The
main problem is that the grating over the well is not secure. The fencing should be further away
from the building and needs maintenance. The adjacent tree should be removed. Complete re-
roofing is also required.
Cllr Cross proposed, Cllr Smith seconded and all agreed – the Clerk to write to Ewelme
advising that the Well needs attention to make it safe, at the least. However, the Parish Council
would prefer if possible to make a feature of the well because of its historical value.
Cllr Smith reported on flytipping at the junction of Scotts Lane and Heet Road – this has been
Cllr Cross left the meeting.
Cllr Taylor reported on the meeting at BCC re the Use of Offenders to carry out works on Public
Rights of Way. A member of the Probation Service had outlined what was proposed. BCC was
keen on the proposals. The youths would do the work. However, the PC would have to have
insurance cover; the youths would need to be supervised; would need to have hot drinks, toilet
facilities and somewhere to shelter from the rain. In addition, there were no facilities for taking
away any of the weeds etc that had been removed – the PC would have to be responsible for
this. Cllr Taylor did not consider that the PC should get too involved.
12. PLAY EQUIPMENT – YOUNGER CHILDREN & TEENAGE RECREATION AREA:
Re Fencing at VHall Play Equipment - The Chairman reported that she had inspected the play
equipment and the 5-a-side. There is a loose/missing upright from the fencing around the VHall
Play Equipment - she has asked John Knibbs to deal with this.
Re 5-a-side - There are mole hills in the grass surrounding the 5-a-side.
The Clerk reported that she had asked Mick Demsey (grass contractor) several times for a
quote for spraying the weeds at the 5-a-side, but no quote had been received. Cllr Leonard
volunteered to spray the weeds – he will check first with Rowland Hewison for advise on the
The Chairman reported that padlocks and chains securing the field gates into the Teenage Area
are missing. The Clerk to check with Rowland Hewison what has happened to the padlocks and
Re Play Equipment at Recreation Ground – The Chairman reported that there is moss on the
Cllr Cross re-joined the meeting.
The Clerk reported that ROSPA had confirmed that they had inspected the play equipment on
28 July and that their report should be received within 2 – 3 weeks.
Cllr Metherell reported that a section of Heet Road had been re-surfaced.
Cllr Metherell reported on Churchyard Wall which was discussed at the PCC meeting of 20 July.
Engineers have reported to Tim Clark of AVDC that a stretch of wall should be taken down (the
stone to be retained) and a new concrete wall erected. The retained stones then to be used to
face the concrete. A six-figure sum has been mentioned for the cost in this respect. Cllr
Metherell to report back to the PC when more information is available.
14. DATE AND VENUE OF NEXT MEETING: Tuesday 12 September 2006 at 8pm in the
15. RESOLUTION TO TEMPORARILY EXCLUDE THE PUBLIC FROM THE MEETING:
There were no members of the public present and therefore this resolution was not necessary.
16. VACANCY FOR POSITION OF PARISH COUNCIL CLERK:
The Chairman reported on the interview with Robert Thomson for the position of Parish Clerk.
Cllrs Leonard and Taylor had been part of the interviewing team.
The Chairman then explained that the latest edition of the BALC newsletter had just been
received (3 August) and the advert for the position was in the newsletter.
On 4 August the Clerk had received an approach from Faye Thompson who wished to be
considered for the position. Mrs Thompson was about to go on holiday and the Chairman had
therefore interviewed Mrs Thompson by telephone.
After full discussions of the merits of both applicants, Cllr Smith proposed, Cllr Cross
seconded and all agreed that Faye Thompson should be offered the position – 8 hrs per week
at SCP 15 - £7.85 per hour. Mrs Thompson to be asked to log her hours over the next 4
months, after which time, the number of paid hours to be reviewed by the Council. The Clerk to
confirm to Robert Thomson that he had been unsuccessful in his application. The Clerk to write
offering the position to Faye Thompson and request that she confirm in writing that she will
accept the position.
The Chairman closed the meeting at 10.30 pm.