Part A: Investigating Skeletal Muscles and Joints of the Chicken Legs
WITH STEREOMICROSCOPE WITHOUT STEREOMICROSCOPE
i)Outside of the Skin - Pinkish red - Bouncy
- Moist - Pink
- Has lines on it
ii)Inside of the Skin - has bubbles - smooth
- wet - wet
- pinkish red - slippery
iii)Connective Tissue - light - looks light pink
- wet - not smooth
iv) The blood capillaries are located on the top of the back leg.
3) Chicken Leg Muscles:
- looking at the texture, we could see more than one type of muscle
- coral pink colour
- muscles underneath are darker than top muscles
4) When the chicken leg is being flexed, the muscles contract and gets harder.
5) When the chicken leg is stretched, it gets tighter.
i) When the muscle is flexed, the movement is called flexion. When the muscle is
expanded, the movement is called extension.
ii) When your leg is bent backward, it is an example of flexion. When your hand is
brought back it is called extension.
6) The tendons are located in the back side of the feet. The tendons are a light pink and it is
smooth. Tendons are a connective tissue which connects muscle to the bone.
7) There are four muscle groups attached to the tendon for the chicken leg.
8) The biggest blood capillaries are located by the joint. It is pink and not very smooth.
Description - pink - Attach bone to bone
- has white layers - Rough
- found in the knee joint - Has white layers
i) Function of meniscus is to disperse the weight of the body and reduce friction during movement.
Function of the ligaments is to joint bones to other bones or to cartilage in the joint areas.
ii) Meniscus and ligaments are both ways in which the body ties two structures together. They are both
made up of similar tissue. Ligaments typically hold two bones together. Tendons generally connect a
muscle to a bone.
11) The fat pad is located between the muscles.
12) The cartilage caps are flexible tissue found in many areas in the body like the joints between
Part B: Investigating Heart and Visceral Muscles of Pigs
Little shiny (bright)
Light salmon pink
Some parts are thin
Inner muscle is brownish
Outside has hard muscles
Has artery and vein
Little pink in the middle
Outer layer is a dirty red