St Joseph High School
Parent Guardian Group/Catholic School Community Council Meeting
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Present: Rick Rowley, Joanne Lukash, Janice Williams, Tina Bertsch, Joanne Lefebvre, Brad
Lefebvre, Terry Sirois, Sharon Compton, Marianne Taillon.
Welcome & Prayer: Meeting chaired by Brad Lefebvre, with prayer led by Rick Rowley.
Minutes: Motion to accept the minutes of November12, 2008 meeting as printed by Joanne
Lukash, seconded by Tina Bertsch.
1. Past Activities
- Tuesday, November 18th – Parent Grad/After-Grad Meeting – information shared
with parents from the school’s perspective and where the After-Grad Committee is at.
Karen Pidskalny and Debbie Goralick are After-Grad chairs.
- Thursday, November 20th-Sunday, November 23rd – Beauty and the Beast – another
wonderful, entertaining and dynamic production – congratulations to all.
- Monday, November 24th – Annual Meeting of Electors – thank you to Brad and
Marianne for attending.
- Thursday, November 27th – Band and Choir Concert – very talented individuals and
very enjoyable performances.
- Monday, December 1st – Knights of Columbus Festival – St. Joseph’s choir put on a
- Wednesday, December 3rd – Advent Penitential Celebration – thank you to the
number of priests from the diocese for celebrating with us.
- Friday, December 5th – distributed school newsletter – extra copies are available.
- Wednesday, December 10th – Advent Eucharistic Celebration.
2. Current and Upcoming Activities
- C.W.O.S.T. – Changing the World One School at a Time – ACT and SRC initiative –
raising money to build a school in Africa.
- Thursday, December 11th – Christmas Semi-Formal School Dance – close to 400
- Wednesday, December 17th – TGG Wind-Up and Christmas Hamper delivery –
- Friday, December 19th – Last day of school before Christmas – 12:20 dismissal.
- Monday, January 5th – 1st day back after Christmas.
- Friday, January 16th – Last day of instruction – 1st semester.
- Monday, January 19th – Period 1 Exam – 8:45 a.m.
- Tuesday, January 20th – Period 2 Exam – 8:45 a.m.
- Wednesday, January 21st – Period 3 Exam – 8:45 a.m.
- Thursday, January 22nd – Period 4 Exam – 8:45 a.m.
- Friday, January 23rd – Period 5 Exam – 8:45 a.m.
- Monday, January 26th & Tuesday, January 27th – No School for Students
- Wednesday, January 28th – First day of 2nd semester
- Friday, January 30th – Report Cards distributed
- Tuesday, February 3rd – Staff Meeting Schedule – early dismissal (12:30)
- Thursday, February 5th-Saturday, February 7th – Senior Basketball Tournament
- Wednesday, February 11th – Next PGG Meeting – 7:00 p.m.
- Jacine Alasha Stroh – baby girl to Brandon and Shelda – born Monday, December 8th
at 11:00 p.m. – 6 lbs 13 ounces.
- Christmas Hampers and PGG Contribution – last year $300.00
- PGG Levy – September 30th numbers: 944 – Rick to apply for.
- In-Motion Brochure – physical education information for school community councils.
- Budget Consultation – handout.
Treasurer’s Report: Given by Janice Williams (Tracey McHardy absent). Current balance in
account as of December 10th, 2008, is $792.63. There has been no activity since the last meeting
other than $0.06 interest. $944 still to come for PGG Levy of this year.
1. Guest Speaker and Date:
Joanne Lukash spoke to Sue Foreman, and she is available to come and speak on the
topic of “Consequences re Driving Issues/Infractions When Students are on Probation”,
as well as “Drinking & Driving Consequences”. Mr. Rowley will speak to Mr. McKay
regarding the availability of a room and will confirm the date with Sue (653-4539) once
that has been determined.
2. Build on Interest Generated when New Students Begin Attending St. Joseph High School:
A lengthy discussion took place regarding various ways to communicate relevant
information to parents, and making them feel more comfortable and welcome to attend
future PGG/CSCC meetings and guest speaker presentations. What are our goals? (i.e.
Do we want more parents in attendance and/or do we want to explore more ways to better
communicate information to parents?) Several ideas and suggestions were brought
forward such as:
- inviting area upper year elementary/feeder school parents and kids to attend meetings
when relevant guest speakers and topics are presented
- targeting sub-groups of our school such as one grade level at a time, or a combination
of 2 grade levels, to discuss items that are pertinent to their year (e.g. Grade 9s: study
skills for new students or how does high school differ from elementary school; Grade
10s: driver training and course selection; Grade 11s: course selection and credits;
Grade 12s: Post-secondary institutions, scholarships, graduation, etc.)
- sending out personal invitations to parents and/or TGG reps inviting them to offer
suggestions or to hear their voice regarding issues of concern (e.g. Talk mail)
- having future meetings tied to a specific theme and dividing them into two categories
and two time slots: 1st portion: business meeting; 2nd portion: specific theme, topic, or
guest speaker focusing on topic related to invited group
- pre-determine topics/themes of future meetings when fall planning is done (month of
May) in order to give adequate notice to new and existing parents and students
- partnering meetings with guest speakers and relevant topics which are needed to be
discussed at that particular time (i.e. inviting guidance counselor to speak re course
selection prior to registration deadline)
Mr. Rowley will check with Mr. McKay re deadline when students need to register for
next year’s courses. Should this deadline coincide with the timing of the next PGG/CSCC
meeting on February 11, 2009, Mr. Rowley will ask one of the guidance counselors to
attend in order to speak to students/parents regarding their course selection. An invitation
or notice will be sent out with the report cards to advertise this informational evening.
Brad suggested that everyone bring ideas regarding future topics of discussion to next
Christmas Hamper Donation: Motion: made by Terry Sirois that the St. Joseph
PGG/CSCC donate $300, as was done last year, towards the TGG Christmas hampers.
Seconded by Joanne Lefebvre. All in favor. Passed.
Brad will contact Tracey to collect funds for Christmas Hampers.
Next St. Joseph PGG/CSCC Meeting: February 11th, 2008, 7:00 p.m.
Meeting Adjourned: Joanne Lukash. Seconded by Terry Sirois.