Sophomore Research Paper
Students will research the beliefs/values, social structures, political movements, and/or economic policies of
the historical time period.
1. Paper should be 3-5 pages in length, not including the Works Cited page.
2. Paper must be in Times New Roman, 12 point font with 1” margins
3. Students must use a minimum of 4 sources, which should be listed in proper MLA format in the
Works Cited page. At least one source should be a book and one source should be an on-line source
(you may use databases, .edu, .org, .gov but you may not use .com). Any textbook and
Encyclopedias do not count as a source and will not be accepted (that includes on-line
4. There must be references within the paper and they should be cited according to the parenthetical
notation used in the MLA format.
5. Papers should accurately analyze the beliefs/values, social structures, political movements, and/or
economic policies of the chosen historical time period.
6. 10 points will be deducted from your grade for every day late the assignment is received
7. You must have handed in and received back your Thesis statement and 4 sources before you can hand
in the outline. The same applies to the outline and paper.
This paper is worth 100 points and the work leading up to the paper is also worth 100 points combined. You
will lose five points per day for any lateness on small assignments.
List of Research Papers Choices
1. What role did nationalism and imperialism play in the outbreak of World War I?
2. How did the provisions of The Treaty of Versailles lead to the outbreak of World War II?
3. Why did the League of Nations fail? Did it achieve any of its goals despite its ultimate
4. How did British imperialism lead to the rise of nationalism in India?
5. What impact did imperialism have on the development of Africa from the late 1800s up to
World War II? (You may choose to look at the continent as a whole or focus on a specific
country in Africa)
April 3rd Choose a topic and sent it to turnitin.com (20 points)
The question has already been posed for you. For this assignment
you need to do a basic search on your topic and give me an idea,
in paragraph form, of what you think you will discover. What, as
of right now, do you think is the answer to the question? As part of
the same assignment please list 3-5 things you will improve from
your first research paper. In order to do this, you must look up
your research paper and read the comments.
April 24th Works Cited Page (30 points)
May 8th Introductory Paragraph with Outline (50 points)
May 17th Rough Draft (Extra Credit = +5 on final paper)
May 24th Final paper due
Any paper with no Works Cited Page or no citations
within the paper receives an automatic 50%