University of Alberta Residence Halls Association
MINUTES 2011-2012 RHA
Residence Halls Association
Date: Monday, November 7th
Room: SUB 420
1. President (Aditya Rao)
2. VP Finance (Erica Woolf )
3. VP Public Relations (Tommy Laflamme)
4. Siderite (Mark Witzaney)
5. Residence Saint-Jean (Kaibree Drake, Houssam Atrissi)
6. HCA (Richard Zhao)
7. Newton (Danny Aceytuno)
8. I-House (Leah Rodvang)
9. WUSC (Eliezer Chin, Elauna Boutwell, Hussein Mohamed)
10. Chair/SU VP Student Life (Colten)
11. Dima (Residence Serivices)
12. Grad Residence Student Council (Nabi Goudarzi)
13. SLACOMP (Hazlin Zaini)
1. LHSA (Mike McPhillips, Sofia Alani)
2. VP Programming (Saadiq Sumar)
1. Call to Order
a. 4:09 p.m.
2. Approval of the Agenda
a. Changes: Residence Services Online (item E)
c. Approval of Minutes - Richard/Danny
a. WUSC presentation by Elauna Boutwell sponsored by VPPR/VPFin
a. Looking for 1 year of sponsorship for a 4-person HUB Residence
for a refugee student.
b. RHA used to seek this support from Residence Services, and there
is a request to re-institute this support.
c. RHA could either start up a fund for this program (directly fund it)
or could ask Residence Services to re-institute this funding themselves.
d. Motions regarding this presentation will be brought up and
discussed at the next meeting
i.Welcome to Hazlin (Michner Park) and Nabi (Grad Rez)!
ii.No applications as of yet for VP Community Posting, therefore we
have extended the date to Monday, November 14th.
iii.Executive Director of Ancillary Services (Doug Dawson) will not
be coming to present to RHA Council, Bill Mowbray will (Topic:
Timeline/Plans for HUB Security)
iv.President will be attending Campus Law Review Committee
meetings from here on out
v.I-House Coffee House happened this past weekend, very cool!
vi.From the 13th - 22nd of December Adi will be in Israel ! Get your
questions in before then.
b. Vice President Services and Support
c. Vice President Community
d. Vice President Finance and Administration
i.Nothing New! Financial Policy is in motion
e. Vice President Programming
i.See report below
f. Vice President Public Relations
i.Jackets ! ($20.00)
ii.Waiting on Grocery Bus Banner, this banner will be alternating
iii.Business cards ! Feel free to grab some and pass them along
iv.Table cloth is coming, deciding on colours
v.Posters Clarification: General info regarding the RHA than can
stay up year round. We are grateful Kelli and Lindsay for all their
hard work in helping us out !
g. SIDERITE Coordinator
i.Attended Outreach Exec meeting
ii.Attended Joint Council Sunday re: Siderite
1. Offered to go around to floor meetings, if requested
a. ARFSJ (Association des Résidents de la Faculté Saint-Jean)
i.Planning with HUB for the festival of lights
ii.Problem: RSFSJ is not fully accessible for persons with reduced
mobility, this is a concern so they are working on addressing this
b. ECSA (East Campus Student Association)
i.Pumpkin Carving went well
ii.Team for Trick-or-Eat
iii.How are reno’s going?
1. Mostly done, looking for volunteers for the painters
c. HCA (HUB Community Association)
i.Execs meet with Residence Services for lunch, discussed
specifically HUB security - Thanks to Dima for their time !
iii.Trip to Banff
d. I-House (International House Spokescouncil)
i.I-House Coffee House
ii.Cheer Party (December)
iv.Theater workshop on Tuesday evenings, check it out ! It is
centered around upliftment of communities
e. LHSA (Lister Hall Students’ Association)
ii.Movember ! Sign-up Movember.ca
f. NPRA (Newton Place Residents’ Association)
i.Meeting with Residence Services was productive
ii.Programming meeting with council, events are more-or-less set up
for the year, along with the budget
iii.New website is up: www.newtonplace.ca
g. GRSC (Graduate Residence Students’ Council)
i.Recently founded Grad Students Council :)
ii.Open Meeting for Residence (5-7)
iii.Planning for Remembrance Day Events
h. Students’ Union
i.Working on little projects (platform goals)
ii.Engineering Students Association Head-Shaving
iv.Campus-Cup ! Waiting list for teams, possibly open up another
v.Advocacy efforts are moving forward
vi.Possible RHA team :)
vii.Break the record is Feburary
viii.ADI: Start an RHA Campus Cup Team
ix.How is the LGBT space coming in SUB
1. Reno’s are making it difficult, but is continuing
i. GSA (Graduate Students’ Association)
j. Residence Services
i.Rumor: Norovirus outbreak, safety measures have been put in
ii.Is there any association fees being collected for SLACOMP?
1. You have to be a registered Students assoication
and write a request to have funds collected, then funds can
be collected from students and given out.
2. Would the fee be applicable to all residents (not just
a. Something can be worked out once the
association is registered
iii.Can Adi be CC’d re: Housing Administrators meetings, just
confirming this ?
1. Minutes aren’t typically circulated
2. There is no reason key decisions cannot be
summarized and sent out.
3. Minutes would be very helpful to the RHA
iv.Will ECV be accepting packages ?
1. Updates in progress
v.Progress on extenuating circumstances re: finances?
1. Will be checking up on that (Darlene)
i.Association for Michener Park, attempt to provide resources for
ii.Parade of Nations, show cases nationalities in Residence (64
countries !) This was the beginning of September
iv.Weekly yoga for women (Tuesday nights 7:30-8:45)
v.Tentative Christmas Party
vi.Check out their website ! slacomp.org Please comment :)
vii.Adi: Welcome to RHA !
viii.Why is it named Slacomp? – No idea, but residents are changing it
to something along the lines of MPSA
6. Old Business
a. VP Services and Support Constitutional Amendment 2 Reading
i.Motion: refer to past minutes
ii.Adi moves this motion seconded by Richard
iv.Action Aditya to make changes to the constitution
7. New Business
a. VP Community Shortlisting
i.No one has applied, so the deadline has been extended to the 14th of
ii.Please poster your residences regarding this :)
iii.Adi moves to strike a short-listing committee of 4 people:
a. Clairification: Execs and RA’s cannot run for these
8. Discussion Period
a. RHA Council Programming Committee
a. Concern: Unofficial programming committee has been in place. It may be
better for the RHA council decides who should be on this council instead
of assuming all the programming heads of residence be on this committee.
b. Saadiq sends his appologies for not being here. Unofficially this
committee was stuck under the idea that there would be a cross-residence
c. Suggestion: Making the programming committee and official committee
of the RHA, and adding this to the constitution. The space would be
available for residences to send representative of their choice for this
d. This will be brought back as a motion to strike this committee
b. Festival of Lights
a. Multi-cultural festival organized by HUB.
b. Food prices: $5 HUB residents, $7 non-HUB residences
c. FSJ has been invited and HUB will be working with them to represent
French Culture at the Festival.
d. Will the HUB lights being used? No, the event is in Telus
On an unrelated note... Danny: Really interested in WUSC
● What is the next step in getting this going ?
○ Bringing a motion to the council at next meeting
c. Meeting at RSJ
a. Dima had the idea that it would be cool to have a meeting a RSJ.
i.Suggestion: Mini-bus !
ii.e-mail sent out for the meeting winter schedule
iii.Action: Adi will get on organizing this
d. Wheelchair Accessibility at RSJ
a. RSJ is listed as a wheel-chair accessible residence, however it is not. Only
2 rooms and a kitchen are accessible for this purpose. However, fire-proof
doors are not functional for this purpose. Since most other residences are
wheel-chair accessible, and this is an issue, we should look into this.
b. Check-out your own residences for issues regarding accessibility!
c. Looking to get automatic doors installed. (3 sets minimum would need to
be put in in order for someone with reduce mobility to be live-able
d. Adi: Thinks this is a very important issue, and we should voice our
i.It would be a question about getting it into the budget, however we
could have a meeting with a student with reduced mobility to
check out mobility.
ii.Come back to the next meeting with a motion to support and forward
iii.Action: Kaibree bring a motion to next meeting
Note: Please keep RSJ in mind when planning events, and follow HUB’s lead on
9. Residence Services Online Finance Page
a. Dima will look into this
b. Will students be able to see what they are being charged for ?
i.Will be looked into
a. Have a “fees” “pay here” button
Adi would like to express his “jubilation” with the presence of Grad Student Rez Council
and SLACOMP at this meeting.
● Action: Remove Emily from mailing list and add Hazlin
a. 5:31 Tommy/Erica
VP Community Report
-Jackets: Sample sizes have arrived. Please concentrate on the fit and not the
colour or style as some are slightly off from what they will look like once ready
They will all be black with an embroidered white and blue RHA logo on the left
front. Cost for you is only 20$ and they should be ready before the last council
meeting of the year.
-Grocery Bus banner: Should have a first proof of it today. I'm aiming to have it
printed by Thursday and have it hang in Lister for a few weeks (Residence
Services have given me permission to hang it up in Lister)
-Business Cards: HAVE ARRIVED! Take as many or as little as you need (we
only have 500) to hand out to residents who may have questions about the RHA
or who need to get in contact with us.
-Posters: I have received the first proof and will be sending back our feedback
shortly. I should have posters for everyone to poster in their respective
residence by the next council meeting.
-Magnets: Almost there, will be making an order this week.
Could you also remind everyone that the sample jackets have arrived so please
allow a few minutes after the meeting to try them on. If they could also bring 20$
cash or a cheque payable to the UARHA that would be wonderful :)
Thanks and have a good day,
VP Programming Report:
Apologies for my absence. I had a few other matters to attend to and a lot of studying to
do for my midterm tomorrow morning.
In terms of updates, things are moving quite slowly on the programming end. The RHA
Programming Committee has been put on stand still until everyone finishes their
midterms but also because there have been some issues brought up regarding members of
the committee and who exactly should be sitting on the committee.
With regards to the latter, my opinion is most certainly that Programming VPs (or their
equivalents) should sit on the committee. However, it is for each residence association to
decide who they would like to have sit on the committee and I would be supportive of a
motion put forth to have each association select their own representative with preference
going to the Programming VPs.
Other than that, the budget is almost complete for Humans vs. Zombies. I am waiting on
a couple of receipts. If you are interested in seeing the final numbers, feel free to contact
me at email@example.com.
Enjoy your Remembrance Day Long Weekend!