ROYAL BOROUGH OF KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA 14-19 LEARNING FORUM - Download as DOC by HC12083017569

VIEWS: 0 PAGES: 3

									   SOUTHWARK FORUM EXECUTIVE 14-19 MINUTES 29th APRIL 2004




                            NOTES of SOUTHWARK GUARANTEE 14-19 FORUM EXECUTIVE

                                        Wednesday 29 April 2004, 2.00pm

                               At Connexions Office, 128 Rye Lane, Peckham SE15 4RZ


   Present:
          Jenny Chadwick             CEA, Head of Secondary School improvement
          Theodora Chamberlain       Connexions
          Deborah Dent               Project Manager, Southwark 14-19 Forum
          Dorothy Jones              Chair, Principal of Southwark College
          Mary Kenway                Aylwin School
          Lisa Lintott               Project Officer, Pathfinder
          Claire Raxworthy           Southwark 14-19 Admin Officer, Prevista Ltd
          Angela Rweyemamu           Local Development Manager, London Central LSC
          Alastair Wilson            CEA, Southwark

   Guest:
            Darryl Childs            London Central LSC

   Apologies:
          Irene Bishop               Headteacher, St Saviour’s and St Olave’s School
          Steve Crow                 London Central LSC
          Lesley Day                 Waverley School
          Sharon Ferrell             Headteacher, AMRTC
          Louise Livesey             Aimhigher Co-ordinator
          Carol Kay                  Manager, Southwark EBA
          Beverly Parchment          Central Connexions
          Tony Perry                 Bacon’s College
          Delroy Peters              Increased Flexibility Co-ordinator

                                                                                           Responsibi   Completi
                                                                                              lity      on Date


1. Minutes of the last meeting

The group agreed the minutes from the Forum Executive meeting, 10 th March 2004 were
a true record.

2. Matters Arising

a)      Dorothy Jones (Southwark College) reported on the London Central StAR meeting      DJ to        After
where it was agreed that London Central StAR team are going to produce a list of all the   report       StAR
responses received. The next StAR meeting is in June/July from which Dorothy will report   back         meeting
any outcomes.

b)     It was noted that item 8 should have included a document of NEET figures which      CR to        ASAP
was not attached with minutes.                                                             circulate
                                                                                           document

3. Education Maintenance Allowances (EMAs)

Darryl Childs from London Central LSC introduced this item and explained the new process




                                                                                                               1
    SOUTHWARK FORUM EXECUTIVE 14-19 MINUTES 29th APRIL 2004




                                                                                              Responsibi   Completi
                                                                                                 lity      on Date
for issuing these grants. He highlighted the following points:

   Due to new regulations if a student has not been in residency for the last 3 years,
    then they are not eligible for the EMA. This applies even if a student received EMA for
    2003/04 at age 16.
   Every young person will need a bank account in their own name.
   Application packs should have been received, which can also be requested from the         AW and       At next
    website http://www.dfes.gov.uk/financialhelp/ema/                                         JC to        Forum
   Learner Support Fund for Southwark LEA this year is £0 – this is due to the Fund not      report       Exec
    being spent last year. (Alastair and Jenny agreed to investigate this )                   back         26th May

The Forum Executive agreed that Darryl should use the 14-19 Forum to pass on any
information, liaise and keep up-to-date with any developments.

4. 14-19 Pathfinder – Year 3 bid

Alastair Wilson reported that 4 schools (Waverley, Aylwin, Kingsdale and Walworth) and
Southwark College have met 4/5 times and have been looking into:
 Meeting individual needs of the learner
 Collaborative 6th form
 Targetting provision gaps
 Targetting the NEET group

The group has identified a vulnerable group, mainly students with language difficulties,
who would need another year at school to bring their level up.

The group agreed to put in a cost to the DfES for an average of 75 students, at £3800
where maybe 40% have SEN. In addition marketing and learning resources would total
£30,000.

(The Southwark Pathfinder Yr3 proposal has been separately circulated – a further copy
is available from Deborah or Claire)

It was agreed to enter the Pathfinder year 3 bid as presented, with the above
amendments.

5. 14-19 AW Inspection of Southwark and Lambeth – Autumn Term 04

a)       Report from first meeting of Inspection Steering Group.
Deborah Dent reported to the group that the preparation for AWI for Southwark and
Lambeth is now well underway. She stressed that Inspectors will work from existing
inspection evidence in relation to schools and colleges, mostly a desk exercise, but with
interviews with key managers during the Autumn term inspection visit. The Inspection is
highly unlikely to include observation of classroom delivery.

b)       Inspection process
Two groups have been set up; a Steering Group and an Operational Group. The
Operational Group is a day-to-day task group which will collect evidence and draft the
self-evaluation report. Wendy Parmley is the Southwark Headteacher representative on
the Steering Group who will feed outcomes to other Heads.




                                                                                                                 2
     SOUTHWARK FORUM EXECUTIVE 14-19 MINUTES 29th APRIL 2004




                                                                                              Responsibi   Completi
                                                                                                 lity      on Date
6. Aimhigher

Louise Livesey (Aimhigher) has taken over as the Aimhigher Co-ordinator for Southwark.        DD to add
Louise gave apologies for this meeting as she does not work on Thursdays. This item will      as a
be revisited when Louise attends.                                                             future
                                                                                              agenda
                                                                                              item.

7. LIDF 04-05

a)     Current list of proposals entered for funding, in relation to Forum
       priorities
The Forum Executive agreed to take the current list of proposals to the full Forum
meeting on the 13th May for discussion.

b)      Update on funding allocation to the borough
Angela Rweyemamu (London Central LSC) reported that the LIDF application form is in
the process of being revised, but stressed that there will be a larger emphasis on specific
outcomes on projects.




      The next 14-19 Forum Executive meeting is 26th May 2:00pm Cator Street, Southwark
                                         SE15 6AA




                                                                                                                 3

								
To top