Secondary Transfer & Admissions
16 September 2008
6:00 – 6:45p.m
Key Dates for Parents:
Date: Happening: Comment:
18/19 September 2008 Kent Tests (11+) take place in school Come to school as normal on these
for those children who were days.
20 October 2008 Kent Test assessment decisions No appeals can be made against the test
posted to parents (to arrive 21 decisions.
5 November 2008 Secondary Common Application All forms to be returned to school
(7 November 2008 – all SCAFs are Form (SCAF) to be returned to before the deadline. Online
collected from school by Kent LA) Kent LA via school. applications – please send in a copy
of the completed online application.
2 March 2009 Offer of one school place sent to Online applications – after 4p.m
parents by Kent LA. Paper applications – posted on the 2
Parents can appeal – appeal form and
waiting list form will be included in post.
5 March 2009 Secondary schools to send welcome
letters to parents.
26 March 2009 By this date, parents must confirm Important! Your place may be lost if you
whether or not they accept the offer, do not accept the offer by this deadline.
make any appeals and/or requests to
be placed on a school’s waiting list
30 March 2009 Secondary schools may offer any
vacant places to pupils on their
waiting lists, prioritised according to
Secondary Common Application Forms
• Parents are invited to express four preferences in priority order. Putting
down one school only will not improve the chance of getting a place.
• SCAFs can be submitted online. If this is the case, parents must not
submit a paper copy. (However, please print a copy of online form and
give it to us in school). Online very successful last year – offers a faster,
smoother and easier experience.
• SCAFs must be completed and returned to us at school by 5 November
2008 (Kent LA collecting all forms on 7 November 2008). If the deadline
is missed, your SCAF will not be considered until after 3 March 2008.
• Choice Advisors are available to help any parent who is unsure about the
transfer process. Further details can be found in your booklet.
Contact details - Tel: 01622 694073 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
• We are here to help! If you have any difficulties in completing the SCAF,
please come and ask.
• The Local Authority operates an ‘Equal Preference’ scheme. This
basically means that secondary schools do not know if they are your
first, second, third or fourth choice.
(This gives all of our children from Woodlands Junior School the
same opportunities and chances as all children in Tonbridge).
• The order in which you place schools only matters if you are given
more than one offer – if this is the case, priority will be given
according to your SCAF priority choice.
• It is important you are aware of the ‘over-subscription criteria’ that
schools use when allocating places. Please refer to your Secondary
Admissions booklets for guidance.
You could apply to…
No 11+ With 11+
Hillview (girls) Tunbridge Wells Boys Grammar
Hayesbrook (boys) Tunbridge Wells Girls Grammar
Hugh Christie (mixed) Weald of Kent (girls)
Mascalls (mixed) Tonbridge Girls
Wildernesse (boys) Judd (boys)
Bennett (church) Skinners (boys)
St Gregory’s (church)
You could also apply to…
Tonbridge School (boys) – Foundation Award (not Year 7 though: sent to prep)
Sevenoaks School (mixed)- bursaries
Walthamstow Hall (girls)- Scholarships and bursaries
Rochester College (mixed)- Scholarships
Worth (boys)- Scholarships
These five schools are ALL fee paying schools.
Before completing your preferences…
• You know your child – although we are
here to offer advice and support, the best
way of deciding which secondary school is
right for your child is to go and visit them.
Try and go when the school is functioning
on a ‘normal’ day – the best way to see a
school for real is to see it with pupils in it!
Which school will meet the need of your
• Home to school transport is a consideration for many parents of
children that are transferring to secondary school.
• The criteria to receive home to school transport are that the child
must be attending the nearest appropriate school for transport
purposes and the distance between home and school must be more
than 3 miles via the shortest available walking route.
• The Local Authority measure distance in a straight line using OS
address point data.
• During your visit to the secondary school ask about ‘catchment
areas’ – refer to your booklet for more details (Parish guidance)
• Are you going to be able to get your child to the school of your
choice? Consider travel arrangements and transport.
• The admissions and transport policies are completely separate – the
most appropriate school for admissions may not be the nearest
appropriate school for transport purposes.
• Children will not automatically receive travel assistance to any
school that offers them a place.
• Families entitled to free school meals or working tax credit may
receive transport assistance to one of their three nearest
appropriate schools that are between 2 to 6 miles away. (2 – 15
miles if the child is attending a church school on denominational
If this applicable to any of you, please come and see me for further
details. The Local Authority will require proof of receipt. Eligibility will
be reviewed on an annual basis.
• On 2 March 2009, the Local Authority will be sending all
parents offers – one school only.
• Parents will receive postal offers on 3 March 2009.
• Online applications will receive their offer via email after
4:00pm on 2 March 2009.
• If you are happy with the offer – great! Make sure you
accept the offer before 26 March 2009 (the place could
be lost if you fail to accept on time). If you are not happy
with the offer, please come and see me as soon as
possible. An appeal must be put in before 26 March
• Any parent has the right to appeal to any school named on their
SCAF which refuses them a place.
• There will be further information about appeals in the letter or email
received on 2 or 3 March 2009.
• If you are going to appeal a decision, please come and see me.
Evidence may needed to support the appeal. Appeals happen
quickly – we need to be up to speed!
Online Applications – www.kent.gov.uk/ola
• After the problems with the online system two years ago, Kent LA
worked hard to correct problems last year. As a result, the online
experience was very positive and all online applications received
offers on the scheduled day.
• Parents can use their log in details to edit their application, view their
online application at any time and view their offer details after the
• SCAFs can be submitted online before the deadline (7 November
• Online applications must not send in a paper copy (although I ask
you return a printed form to us at school).
• Online offers will be sent via email (although if you do not have an
email address offers will be posted). The email offer will not be sent
until after 4:00pm on 2 March 2009.
Judd, Skinners’ & Tonbridge Grammar School
• The New School Admissions Code require grammar schools which
rank all pupils according to aggregated test scores not to give
special priority to siblings.
• This means that the ‘over-subscription criteria’ for the three schools
named above have changed slightly. Read guidance notes in
• Siblings may, of course, still be offered a place at these schools, but
only if they qualify through their ranked score.
• Your completed SCAF must be returned to us at school by 5
November 2008 (collected by Kent LA on 7 November).
• If you are completing the SCAF online, please print a summary copy
and hand in to school before 7 November. It will help us to support
and track your application.
• Visit all schools of interest to see which school would suit your child
best. You know your child – talk to them, be realistic and continue to
encourage and support them in all they do.
• When your offer arrives in March, ensure you respond – accept the
offer or appeal. Please see me if appealing.
• You are not on your own! We are here to help and support you – to
make the transfer process as stress free as possible.
• Support your child throughout the whole year – their SATs in May
are also important to them, and us!