PLANS REVIEW CHECKLIST
WHEN A FOOD SERVICE ESTABLISHMENT IS CONSTRUCTED OR EXTENSIVELY REMODELED, OR
WHEN AN EXISTING STRUCTURE IS CONVERTED FOR USE AS A FOOD SERVICE ESTABLISHMENT,
PROPERLY PREPARED PLANS AND SPECIFICATIONS FOR SUCH CONSTRUCTION, REMODELING, OR
ALTERATION, SHOWING LAYOUT, ARRANGEMENT, SIZE AND TYPE OF FIXED EQUIPMENT AND
FACILITIES, SHALL BE SUBMITTED TO THE HEALTH AUTHORITY FOR APPROVAL BEFORE SUCH
WORK IS BEGUN. PLANS SHOULD ALSO BE SUBMITTED TO THE CODES COMPLIANCE DEPARTMENT
IN CITY HALL FOR REVIEW AND APPROVAL.
1. TO INSURE COMPLIANCE WITH SANITARY REQUIREMENTS.
2. TO PREVENT ANY MISUNDERSTANDING BY ANYONE AS TO WHAT IS REQUIRED.
3. TO PREVENT ERRORS WHICH MIGHT LATER RESULT IN ADDITIONAL COST TO THE
THE PLANS REFERRED TO INCLUDE:
1. FLOOR PLAN (to include all equipment, plumbing fixtures, restrooms, seating, walk-ins, etc.);
2. EQUIPMENT LIST (including make, model, and sizes( refrigerators, stoves, freezers, etc.);
3. PLUMBING DIAGRAM;
4. FINISH SCHEDULE (floors, walls and ceilings);
IT IS PREFERRED THAT PLANS SHOULD BE THOSE OF A PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER OR ARCHITECT
RATHER THAN HAND DRAWN SKETCHES. REGARDLESS, ALL DRAWINGS MUST BE TO SCALE. ONCE
SUBMITTED AND ANY APPLICABLE PLAN REVIEW FEES ARE PAID A LETTER WILL BE SENT TO THE
SUBMITTER STATING WHAT DEFICIENCIES WERE FOUND IN THE SUBMISSION. IN SOME
SITUATIONS, RE-SUBMISSION OF PLANS MAY BE REQUIRED WITHIN TWO WEEKS AFTER
SUBMISSION. OTHERWISE IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE ESTABLISHMENT OWNER TO
ADDRESS ALL OF THE DEFICIENCIES DURING CONSTRUCTION THAT ARE DETAILED WITHIN THE
PLEASE COMPLETE AND RETURN
INFORMATION SHEET FOR FOOD SERVICE PLAN REVIEW
The purpose for the review and approval of plans before the work begins is: (1) to insure compliance with sanitary
requirements: (2) to prevent misunderstanding by the operator as to what is required; (3) to prevent errors which
might later result in additional cost to the operator.
As a minimum, the owner shall provide a floor plan of the entire establishment to scale which shows the layout of the
rooms, including storage rooms, and the proposed location of lights, plumbing and all fixed equipment. In addition,
the proposed location of kitchen equipment such as refrigerators, stoves, hoods, sinks, dishwashing machines, slicers,
etc. should be shown as well as an overall site plan showing the parking lot and trash disposal areas.
The following plan review is suggested as a guide, which can be used to assure that all areas of the physical facilities
and equipment to be installed in the establishment are given proper consideration for compliance with required
Name of Establishment_________________________________________________________________
Phone_____________________________________ Seating Capacity_____________________________
Is information complete? (Check items submitted, items in BOLD are required)
________Floor Plan _______ Finish Schedule
________Equipment List _______ Seating
________ Menu _______ Other (specify)
What type of water supply is to be provided? Public________ Private (well)___________
If private (well), has it been approved by the Health Department?
Yes________ No_________ Date_______________________________
What type of sewage system is to be provided? Public_______ Private (septic tank)___________
If private (septic tank), has it been approved by the Health Department?
Yes________ No__________ Date_______________________________
The following questions are to enable both the food service establishment owner and the Health Department to
determine the acceptability of the establishment facilities. Circle your answer and fill in the blanks where needed.
1. A complete list of all equipment, with manufacturer’s name and model number, must be submitted with the floor
Has a list of all equipment been submitted? Yes No
2. All equipment must be approved by ANSI (American National Standards Institute) or be equivalent to that.
Has all equipment been so approved or equivalent? Yes No
3. All floor or wall mounted equipment must be properly installed on either six (6) inch legs or sealed to the
How will floor mounted equipment be installed? On 6 inch legs OR Sealed to the floor
How will wall mounted equipment be installed? Sealed to the wall OR Other ________________
4. Counter/table top equipment must be either on four (4) inch legs, sealed to the counter or must be easily movable.
How will counter top equipment be mounted?
On 4 inch legs OR Sealed to the counter OR Easily movable
5. A sink with three compartments (not 2 and not 4) must be provided and used.
Manual cleaning and sanitizing of equipment and utensils shall include three successive steps; 1) washing, 2)
rinsing, and 3) sanitizing. The sinks must be large enough to fit the largest pot, pan or utensil.
Has a 3 compartment sink of sufficient size been provided? Yes No
6. A minimum of two (2) drain boards, one on each side of the 3 compartment sink of adequate size (12-18”) must be
Have 2 drainboards been provided as required? Yes No
How large are the drainboards? _____________ inches wide ________________ inches long
7. If a mechanical dishwasher is to be used, it must be approved by the Health Department.
If using a mechanical dishwasher, list below the manufacturer's name and model number below:
Dish Machine ____________________________ Sanitizer Type: High Temperature OR Chemical
If it is a high temperature sanitizer please provide the manufacturer and model number of that also:
II. Storage Areas
1. All shelving must be constructed so that the bottom shelf is at least six (6) inches above the floor to allow the areas
under the shelving to be easily accessed for cleaning with brooms and mops.
Is all shelving constructed as required (6 inches above the floor)? Yes No
2. Separate storage areas (cabinets, rooms, etc.) must be provided for the proper, safe storage of poisonous chemicals
and cleaning materials.
Are separate areas provided for storage of poisonous/cleaning materials? Yes No
3. Sufficient refrigeration and hot holding facilities must be provided to assure the maintenance of proper
temperatures in all potentially hazardous foods.
Have enough refrigeration and hot holding facilities been provided? Yes No
4. Clothes washers and dryers, when in a food establishment, must be installed in separate rooms from where food is
Are there any laundry facilities (washer and/or dryer) present in establishment? Yes No
1. Is all water-supplied equipment installed to prevent back siphonage? Yes No
2. Is all plumbing installed in accordance with the plumbing code? Yes No
3. Are any sewer lines exposed over food preparation or storage areas? Yes No
4. A mop sink is required. Has a mop sink been provided? Yes No
IV. Handwashing Facilities
1. Handsinks must be provided in all food preparation, food handling areas, bars, waitress areas and in all
dishwashing areas. They must be easily accessible to all employees in those areas. The Health Department will make
the final determination as to whether sufficient number(s) of handsinks are provided and whether they are located
2. Are handsinks provided in the following areas? Please indicate yes, no or NA and how many sinks are present.
Kitchen _______________ Dishwashing Area _________________ Restroom(s) __________________
Bar(s) _________________ Waitress Station(s) _________________
3. Each handsink must have hot and cold running water through a mixing faucet, soap and paper towels in a
dispenser or another approved hand-drying devices.
What type of hand drying method will you provide? _______________________________
V. Toilet Facilities
1. Are employee restrooms conveniently located? Yes No
2. Are restroom doors self-closing? Yes No
3. Are public toilets provided? Yes No
For each sex? Yes No
4. Are handsinks provided in each restroom? Yes No
5. Are lockers or storage areas provided for the proper
storage of employees' personal belongings Yes No
(coats, purses, etc.) outside the food areas?
1. Floors must be constructed of grease resistant, impervious, and easily cleanable materials in the kitchen and
What materials will be used to cover/construct the floors?
List materials used in the following areas:
Kitchen _____________________________ Restrooms ___________________________
Dining ______________________________ Storage ______________________________
2. Are floors graded to drain, if drains are provided? Yes No
3. Is the floor wall juncture coved? Yes No
VII. Walls and Ceilings
1. Walls and ceilings in the kitchen, storerooms, food preparation areas and restrooms must be constructed of light
color, smooth, and easily cleanable materials?
List materials used on the walls in the following areas:
Kitchen ____________________________ Restrooms ___________________________
Food preparation _______________________ Storage _______________________________
List materials used on the ceiling in the following areas:
Kitchen _____________________________________ Restrooms _______________________________
Food Preparation ______________________________ Storage _________________________________
2. Is the ceiling constructed so that no overhead beams or piping is exposed in food storage or food preparation
1. At least 50 foot-candles of light must be provided over all working surfaces in food preparation areas to include
grills and woks. Has sufficient lighting been provided in these areas? Yes No
2. At least 20 foot-candles must be provided 30 inches above floor in utensil washing and restroom areas.
Has sufficient lighting been provided in these areas? Yes No
3. At least 10 foot-candles must be provided in all storage areas and walk-in refrigerators. To accomplish this
fluorescent lights must be provided in walk-in refrigerators and freezers.
Has sufficient lighting been provided in these areas? Yes No
4. All lights in all food preparation, food service and food storage areas must be properly shielded to prevent
contamination of food in case of breakage. Are light shields provided in all areas where food is prepared,
served or stored? Yes No
IX. Garbage and Refuse
1. Is a refuse storage room provided? If there is it must be constructed of easily cleanable, non-absorbent, washable
materials and be large enough to store all containers as needed.
Is your refuse room constructed of easily cleanable,
non-absorbent and washable materials? Yes No
2. Is an outdoor storage area provided? Yes No
3. This would be an area used for the storage of a dumpster, grease barrel or mobile toter. These areas must be easily
cleanable and be made of concrete or asphalt.
Is the outdoor storage area easily cleanable and made of concrete or asphalt? Yes No
4. Are container washing facilities provided? Yes No
6. Insect and Rodent Control
1. All outer openings (doors and windows) must be properly protected by using of doors that are self closing, screens,
and/or air curtains. Screen doors must open outward.
Are all outer openings protected as required? Yes No
Are outer doors and drive-through windows self-closing? Yes No
2. All floors, walls and ceilings must be properly finished and sealed around ducts, pipes, and cables that lead to the
Are all holes and/or gaps in floors walls and ceilings properly sealed? Yes No
1. Is a separate room available for smoking? Yes No
2. Is the ventilation system in the smoking room separate from the non smoking ventilation system? Yes No
If no, in accordance with State law, a separate ventilation system must be installed and must be
adequate enough to keep smoke from entering the non smoking section.
Plans Received By______________________________________ Date _______________________