Ukrainian National Technology Platform “Agro-Food”
(1) Creating the Working Group (Group of Experts, Coordinating Council or Initiative group) to develop a conceptual approach
successful implementation task for above mentioned Platform in Ukraine;
(2) Coordination/establishing of the Legal status (statute, constituent) and financial structure (support) for the UNTP “Food for
(3) To find and provide the basic definition of possible instruments for its implementation in Ukraine (the creation of appropriate
infrastructure) – to be legally registered in Ukraine as separate Organization;
(4) To initiate active cooperation with government, business, educational and academic institutions to form a national policy of
quality and safe nutrition issues;
(5) To inform of Ukrainian stakeholders of EU Program documents, calls, visions, strategic plans and results of EPP “Food for Life”
(6) Publication and dissemination activity.
Based on numerous measures the draft Ukrainian National Technology Platform “Agro-food” was created, presented and discussed as:
- a voluntary (public) association of specific thematic clusters (led by prominent experts-experts in their fields) with
organizational and working groups, representatives of the concerned political, scientific and industrial structures;
- a tool for strengthening the innovative capacity of Ukrainian small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and their performance in
the forthcoming years FP7 (2011-2013) and RP8.
In the near future and discussed of proposed structure of NTP Ukrainian Agro-Food "- the prototype of which is ETP “Food for Life” - will
be completed by all representatives of the clusters, approved and declared. All successful domestic and international examples of
positive experience with innovations in the SME sector as the first lessons of various ETP are going to be taken into account.
The President of Platform is preliminary proposed: Mr. Robert Horvat. The UNTP “Agro-Food” is organically united subunits: Platform
1. Cluster of Food Technology/Industry (Mr. Yakiv Verkhivker, Director of Scientific Research Institute of Grain and Food Products
Chairman of Technical Committee “StateNeedsStandards” of Ukraine [Juices and Juice products] Chairman of “Alimentarius”);
2. Cluster of Agro-Food’ Biotechnology (Mr. Valentyn Piggorskyy, Academician of NASU, Director of IMV);
3. Human Health - Food Cluster (Mr. Vitaliy Korzun, Prof., O.M. Marzeev Institute of Hygiene and Medical Ecology);
4. Agro-Ecology Cluster (Mr. Oleksandr Tarariko, Academician, Agroecology Institute of Ukrainian Academy of Agrarian Sciences of
5. Animal Health – Food Cluster (Mrs. Viktoriya Kas’yanchuk, Sumy National Agricultural University Prof. and Mrs. Oksana Kravchenko,
Dr., O. V. Kvasnyts’kyy Pig Breeding Institute UAAS);
6. Plant Health – Food Cluster (Mr. Yuriy Syvolap, South Plant Biotechnology Centre, Academician);
7. Cluster of Food Safety and Quality of (Mr. Volodymyr Khareba, Prof. Presidium of the Ukrainian Academy of Agrarian Sciences
8. ICT-Food Cluster (Mr. Ivan Kulchytskyy/ Lviv CSTEI);
9. Innovation Cluster (Mr. Leonid Sukhodub, Prof., Correspondent Member of NASU, Institute of Applied Physics);
10. Cluster for Dissemination and International Management (Mrs. Nadiya Boyko, Prof., Uzhhorod National University).
Officially Ukrainian NTP will be presented in Kiev, 19-22 May, 2011, Day of Science and Innovation
1) Monitor the situation/ national vs. globalisation: for detection/realising of real needs and demands: customers vs. food markets;
2) React on “hot points” – estimate or identify questions/problems needed to be answered urgently in food chain;
3) Calculate/find or classify the key industrial and research players on the principal: region/expertise;
4) Put the contacts with regional state governmental bodies via local business incubators/research and developments or
innovation parks on regular bases;
5) Develop and propose new tools for the ICT in ETP/NTP knowledge transfer: systematic and easy to view or easy to follow:
virtual Centers? Newsletter? - at least make possible of systematic/regular contacts: activity support service?
6) Define strategic Partners from other Platforms: to be connected with; to be informed; not duplicate activity, etc.
7) Transfer available, not intellectually protected and widely used (approved) technologies available and effective from EU
countries to third countries.
1) Health: “Protection of metabolic and food relevant disease by “new generation” of functional food products: rational nutrition
and controlled recommendations;
2) Consumers: Creation of independent and credible! safety/quality expertise; search for new tools of information of consumers
based on their mentalities and ethical habits;
3) Sustainability: Implementation of risk assessment and business plan methodology – on international consulting bases;
4) Training and technology transfer: Organise twinning or other common training centres oriented on profile expertise (to
structure the ETP?)
Ukrainian NTP Agro-Food as a good practice case enables:
1) establish and activate real connection between science and industry (and administration): dialog had been initiated on 2006,
became real in 2010 (with policy makers); but for last two years only 17 proposals in our region (local “husbandry”
agreements) had been directly supported by industry and few by Ecology Inspectorate, city council and regional state
2) our regional administration and trade palate began cooperate in innovation sphere - two projects from our University are
currently submitted and supported. Such practice became rather “typical” in Lviv region, Lutsk, and Kharkiv - were thematic
clusters are settled up and well established; this year we also submitted the common project with trade palate representatives
and University as a partner; Innovation research park is created: see, please, separate Brochure.
3) our activity and close network connection within Platform’s partners and stakeholders finally led for the creation of small but
stabile Consortiums - native (national) companies, organizations and institutes with international partners, from research
centers and SMEs; correspondingly number of scientific projects is enlarged significantly - especially so-called bilateral
projects - intergovernmental and also projects announced by ENPI (European Neighborhood Policy) mainly Pilot, PHARE,
TASIS, TEMPUS, INTERREG IIIA / ТACIS, etc. - exact numbers of projects can be provided;
4) Participation in FP7 had been also promoted: the Partner search became more routine and easier within such network - from
one side, from another side - the valuable information of new calls, new possibilities, new tools for participation - are widely
available and will be in nearest future regularly renewed - downloaded on NTP website (in preparation);
5) The “healthy” market is the main aim, so customer and educational public organizations on this stage as well as SMEs are
began to be highly involved since now they are more motivated and interested in participation in FP7 by getting new
knowledge and being intensively informed of FP7 programs and activity of the Platform itself (TV programs, Seminars,
meetings, publications - see brochure of ETP “food for Life” translated on Ukrainian, published 31 st of December 2010,
disseminated 4th January 2011;
6) The profile forms and catalog of main (key) players of our NTP Platform currently under creation. The Catalog (on English) will
be introduced to the Companies, research Institutes, all other possible Partners in aim to promote their future cooperation and
participation in KBBE calls first of all (FP7 and FP8). Few FP7 project are already supported by organizations from Platform,
now few under preparation before submission);
7) Such “visibility” is working for NTP representatives’ recognition as well as inside of country (getting innovative founds, others)
and international, making them simply more known;
8) Next working Seminar (initiative Group of NTP discussion) is planned on May-June, 2011 and at that time is latest when UTP
will start act as official structure (body).
The basic principles for the development/construction of national technology platform in Ukraine “Agro-Food Platform had
been elaborated on:
Thematic meeting in Uzhhorod, October 29-31, 2006, “Ukrainian Initiative in the development ETP platforms, Ukrainian Technological
Platform “Food for Life”, with representatives of the European Commission, organized by the Center for Transborder scientific
cooperation Uzhhorod National University (hereinafter CTSC UzhNU, Director, prof. Nadiya Boyko) supported partially by NIP of
Ukraine. It was decided to create UNTP and represent it among the already existent network of similar ETPs; to register it within network
of similar national platforms (http://etp.ciaa.eu/asp/nftp/index.asp).
Thematic seminar in Uzhhorod, May 12, 2010 “Development of a National Technology Platform (NTP) in Ukraine: “Food for Life: Agro-
Food Platform”, organized with the support CTSC UzhNU with support of NIP of Ukraine, Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine.
It was attended and assisted by Mr. Dr. András Sebok, General Manager of Campden BRI Magyarorszag Nonprofit Kft. Board Member
of the ETP “Food for Life” Chairman of the SME Task Force of the ETP “Food for Life” Vice-Chairman of the Collaboration of the
National Technology Platforms of the ETP “Food for Life” and Mr. Dr. Federico Morais, FIAB´s [Federación Española de la
Alimentación y Bebidas] Director of Innovation and Technology Department, Spain;
Seminar in Uzhhorod 6-7 December 2010, “The role of Ukrainian technology platforms (NTP) in promoting participation in FP7: Agro-
Food platform, organized in the framework of the EU project “Joint Support Office to promote Ukraine's integration to the research area
EU”, JSO-ERA (project manager, director of the National Contact Point for FP7 in Poland, Dr. Alexander Bakovs’ky), Regional Contact
Point for FP7 NIP Ukraine - CTSC UzhNU.