Term III 2001
Zama Japan, Monday and Wed 1640-1920
Use full sentences.
Be specific. (Unless otherwise stated)
You will need a calculator
1. The elements of a Telecommunication Systems are: Transmitter, Medium and Receiver. Give two
examples of each: (short answer)
2. Name 3 reasons why telecommunications is a benefit to business: (short answer)
3. Do I need a real-time connection between the University of Maryland’s Register and the Main Campus
in Maryland, USA? (Why or why not)
4. Calculate the reliability of a telecommunication system with four components as described below:
Reliability of component A: .95
Reliability of component B: .96
Reliability of component C: .97
Reliability of component D: .99
5. Referring to question 4, what would the system reliability be if component D had a backup D’ that was
also .96 reliable?
6. What are the factors that determine a systems’ response time? (Short answer)
7. Referring to problem 6, which of the factors is the slowest? (Short answer)
8. Why does adding more computers to a BUS topology affect the performance?
9. What is a passive topology?
10. Draw a logical diagram of a Ring topology and give the advantages.
11. Draw the logical diagram of a BUS topology and give the advantages.
12. There sequence for sending data on a Token-Ring network is as follows:
1. Sending computer controls token.
2. Sending computer puts data and address on token.
3. Sending computer sends token out on ring.
4. Next computer checks the token.
5. If the address is correct it receives the data, sends a “data received” message back to the sending
computer and token is released.
6. If the address is not correct, the computer regenerates the signal and sends it .
Explain what’s wrong and correct the error
13. What does 10BaseT?
14. What type of Telecommunications Equipment would I use if I wanted to connect several LANs together
that don’t use the same protocol? (Short Answer)
15. What device can accommodate multiple active paths between LAN segments and choose between
them. (Short answer)
16. The book lists 6 performance factors for a LAN (page 484). Name 3.
17. A point-to-point circuit from A to B is being designed. The estimated traffic is 102 million characters
per day. The peak time lasts one hour, with 20% of the traffic occurring during this hour. Calculate the
response time for each of the following a) 96,000bps and b) 120,000bps
1) 8 bits per character.
2) Message length out= Message length in
3) CPU time = .30 seconds
4) No Queuing.
5) 1000 messages in the peak hour.
18. There was only one topic from the lecture about Chapter 14. It was the “Requirements Design Process”
used by the Air force to manage large projects in private industry. Give the basic steps of this process.
Don’t give a lot of detail; just an outline is fine.
19. Describe four ways a network can be classified. (Short answer)
20. Use the following information to show why a dedicated line inefficient for data transmission. (As we
did in class, just show the percentage that the line is actually being used)
a) 5000 messages per day. (There are 8 hours in a day)
b) Average message length is 1440 bytes.
c) There are 8bits per byte.
d) Line speed is 56,000bps
21. Fill-in the table below:
Layer 7 Application Layer Determines what data is to be sent on the network
Layer 5 _______________
Layer 4 Identifies the actual address of the computer that
will receive the message
Calculates the checksum
Used when messages are sent between two
separate but connected networks
Layer 1 Network
22. Choose one topic below and discuss. (Hint: I’m looking for content and “good”
USE THE BACK OF THIS PAGE.
a) The Network Design Process.
b) Telecommunications in Business (or Military).
c) The responsibilities of a LAN Administrator.
d) How will understanding TC help in your future.