Load Balancer Advantages
Affordable, Easy to Use Load Balancing Platform
The Barracuda Load Balancer is an affordable and easy to use Application Delivery Controller (ADC) platform. It is certified by
Microsoft as a preferred Hardware Load Balancer for load balancing Microsoft products.
Ease of Management on
Enhanced Application Delivery
• Easy to set up • Content Caching
• Automated service monitoring • Traffic Compression
• Automatic Security Updates • Content Routing
• Supports IPv6 • SSL Offloading
Availability & Security Affordability
• High Availability (HA) • Single appliance with fully integrated
• Global Server Load Balancing (GSLB)
• Appliance & subscriptions cost less than
• Intrusion Prevention System (IPS)
renewals of competing products
• No per server or software license fees
• L4/L7 Load Balancing • Microsoft Remote Desktop Services
• IPv6 support • SSL Offloading
• Virtual or Physical Appliance • HTTP Caching & Compression
• Global Server Load Balancing (GSLB) • Content Routing
• Microsoft Certified: Exchange 2010, Lync Server • TCP Pooling
2010, Office Communication Server (OCS) 2007
• SIP Load Balancing
Barracuda Networks 1
Ease of Management
The Barracuda Load Balancer is extremely easy to deploy, featuring automatic discovery and configuration too
through an intuitive Web interface. These include:
• one-line set
Easy to set up: Barracuda Load Balancer one line configuration set up greatly simplifies service set-up. All
Balancer will receive
that is required is the name to the service, the virtual IP on which the Barracuda Load Balan
traffic and the Real Server IP address.
Automatic Discovery: All models of the Barracuda Load Balancer support Auto Discovery. This feature
allows the Load Balancer to detect and present all reachable servers to the administrator for quick and easy
deployment of new services
• Automated Service Monitoring: Barracuda Load Balancers support multiple types of server monitors. This
enables the Barracuda Load Balancer to detect the availability of Real Servers to ensure that requests are
sent only to healthy and active servers.
• Automatic Security Updates: To minimize ongoing administration associated with security, the Barracuda
Load Balancer automatically receives current intrusion prevention and security updates from Barracuda
Enhanced Application Delivery
Barracuda Load Balancers provide application acceleration capabilities that improve content delivery. These
• SSL Offloading: SSL encryption / decryption are resource intensive operations that utilize significant
amounts of processing power. The Barracuda Load Balancer can encrypt/decrypt on behalf of the Web
Server, freeing up server resources
• Content Routing: The Barracuda Load Balancer can route traffic to different server based on incoming
content. Routing of traffic based on content can be enforced either based on different parameters such
header values, cookies, domain name and URL.
Content Caching: The Barracuda Load Balancer provides integrated file caching for Layer 7 traffic.
Caching stores commonly used information on the Load Balancer for quick retrieval rather than sending the
request to and from the back end servers. This improves Real Server performance by reducing the amount
Traffic Compression: The Barracuda Load Balancer improves the response time for clients accessing the
service through slow connections. The Load Balancer can compress traffic, thereby reducing the total
amount of data sent to the client.
• nable T
URL Rewrite: URL rewrites enable the modification of incoming and outgoing HTTP headers. This useful in
applications that need original client IP address for logging purposes or for other operational requirements
that require HTTP modifications.
• SIP Call-id persistence: Client’s connectivity to SIP servers is persisted using call id header ensuring that
all the datagrams related to a particular call go to the same server.
• IPv6 support: Barracuda Load Balancer supports mixed mode of deployment for IPv6 services. Virtual IP
(VIP) and server IP addresses can be either IPv6 addresses or IPv4 add
Barracuda Networks 2
Availability & Security
Barracuda Load Balancers provide an extensive set of enterprise functionality. These include:
• High Availability: The Barracuda Load Balancer provides a number high availability capabilities that help
keep mission-critical applications online. In the event of server failure, t Barracuda Load Balancer can
detect primary failure and redirect traffic to a back up server. In addition, the Barracuda Load Balancer can
be configured in a redundant active / passive pair for High Availability.
• Adaptive scheduling: The Barracuda Load Balancer offers dynamic scheduling algorithms to provide load
balancing based on real-time server statistics. Server load distribution can be dynamically configured using
Real Server CPU or load URL for custom load weights. For terminal session load balancing, the Load
Balancer can use number of terminal sessions to distribute load.
• Global Server Load Balancing (GSLB): GSLB component resolves DNS queries allowing administrators
to direct traffic to a number of data center based on geographic distance, region or by priority.
• Server Persistence: The Barracuda Load Balancer supports Layer 4 and Layer 7 server persistence using
, headers. persist
IP addresses, cookies, parameters or headers. In environments where session persistence is required, this
provides a fast and reliable solution for most configurations including most encrypted e
database, and Terminal Services configurations.
Intrusion Prevention System: The Barracuda Load Balancer provides a sophisticated Intrusion Prevention
System (IPS) that helps secure your network. It also provides Denial of Service (DoS) protection and will
also automatically block any exploits that are detected across multiple protocols. Exploit signatures are
regularly updated at Barracuda Central, and are automatically delivered to your Barracuda Load Balancer
via Energize Updates.
• Models: The Barracuda Load Balancers are available in four models handling traffic from 10 Mbps to 1
Gbps and are suited for small to large deployments.
No per server fees: Each model can load balancer multiple applications and is available at a very
competitive price point. So, organizations can choose the model based on the throughput requirements of
all the applications they plan to deploy on the Barracuda Load Balancers.
For questions about the Barracuda Load Balancer please visit http://www.barracuda.com/loadbalancer or call Barracuda
888-ANTI-SPAM or +1 408-342-5400. For more information on our other security
Networks for a free 30- day evaluation at 1-888 5400.
and productivity solutions, please visit http://www.barracuda.com/products
About Barracuda Networks Inc.
premises-based gateways and software, virtual
Barracuda Networks Inc. combines premises Barracuda Networks
appliances, cloud services, and sophisticated remote support to deliver comprehensive
content security, data protection and application delivery solutions. The company’s expansive 3175 S. Winchester
product portfolio includes offerings for protection against email, Web and IM threats as well as Boulevard
products that improve application delivery and network access, message archiving, backup
lication Campbell, CA 95008
and data protection. United States
Coca-Cola, FedEx, Harvard University, IBM, L’Oreal, and Europcar are among the more than
Cola, +1 408.342.5400
100,000 organizations protecting their IT infrastructures with Barracuda Networks’ range of www.barracuda.com
affordable, easy-to-deploy and manage solutions. Barracuda Networks is privately held with its email@example.com
International headquarters in Campbell, Calif.
Barracuda Networks 3