MASTER by wuyunyi



This checklist is intended to be used as a supplement to information obtained from the University
Catalog, the Schedule of Courses, the major department, and as an aid to preparing degree plans for
master students. The major department should be consulted about specific additional requirements.

In brief, to graduate you must:
> Be admitted into candidacy
> Apply to graduate online for the current semester of graduation
> If doing a final exam, have the committee approved
> Successfully pass your final exam or thesis defense. If not doing a final exam, have your degree plan
  approved by your department. This applies to specific departments with “degree plan approval” plans
> Be registered on the Boulder campus the semester you pass your comprehensive/final exam.
  International students in F-1 or J-1 status should ask an advisor in International Student and Scholar
  Services* about immigration requirements for the semester following your comprehensive/final exam
> If doing a thesis, have between 4-6 thesis hours
> Submit electronically and obtain approval of your thesis to the Graduate School, and submit hard copy
  of signature page to Graduate School, both by thesis submission deadline.
> Have your department submit a final grade card for thesis hours
> Have earned a grade of C or better on all classes applying toward your degree
> Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
> Have no incomplete coursework
> Stay within the 4 year time limit to complete your degree
> Have at least 2 semesters of full-time registration (two semesters of part-time equals one full semester)
> Meet department requirements
> Meet all deadlines

Deadlines All deadlines must be met to insure graduation during a particular semester. Deadlines are
 available from the major department, from the Graduate School, and on the web at

Graduate Courses
Minimum hours: For Plan I (thesis option) or Plan II (non-thesis) the minimum number of hours is 30,
 which can include thesis hours for Plan I students. Students completing a thesis must register for a
 minimum of four and a maximum of six hours of thesis. (Contact your department for appropriate
 course numbers). If a student switches from Plan I to II, thesis hours must be dropped and the Graduate
 School contacted.

Course level: A maximum of six credit hours may be completed at the 3000 or 4000 level at the discretion
 of the department. 1000 or 2000 level courses are not applicable toward a master degree.

Courses not applicable toward a graduate degree: INFS 5000, ACCT 5010, OPMG 5020, MKTG 5030,
 ORMG 5040, FNCE 5050, BSLW 5060, BECN 5080 and FREN 5770. These fundamental courses
 may not be included in the minimum number of graduate level course credits required for a degree
 unless a written request is submitted to and approved by the Dean of the Graduate School.

PG 1                                                                                     Revised 2/16/12
                                                                                Graduation Packets – Info
                                                                                        Master Checklist
GPA: A graduate student must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on all course work taken regardless of
 the level of course work or the reason it was taken. Any course being applied toward the degree must
 be taken for a letter grade and must be given a grade of C or better for it to apply. Grades earned in
 transfer courses or courses taken as a non-degree student are not calculated into the graduate GPA. A
 student cannot be admitted to candidacy or graduate with a cumulative GPA below 3.0. For policies
 concerning academic probation, suspension, and provisional status, refer to the graduate school rules in
 the University Catalog.

Graduate Faculty: All courses numbered 5000 or above listed on the degree plan must be taught by
 members of the graduate faulty. Membership on the University faculty does not automatically
 constitute an appointment to the graduate faculty. Contact your departmental graduate program assistant
 for questions concerning these appointments.

Transfer Courses: Transfer credit is defined as any credit earned at another accredited institution, credits
 earned at another campus of the CU system, or credits earned as a non-degree student within the CU
 system. A completed Request for Transfer of Credit form should be approved by the major department,
 have an official transcript (including transcript key) attached and be submitted to the Graduate School
 after completion of six credits as a regular degree seeking graduate student with a 3.0 GPA or better.
 The transfer limit for the MFA degree is 18 hours. For all other master degrees the limit is 9 hours. To
 transfer a course it must have a grade of B or better. Transfer courses are not calculated into your GPA.
 Transfer work that is five years old or more at the time of transfer must be evaluated by the major
 department as to current relevance and applicability to degree requirements. At the discretion of the
 department, a student may be asked to validate transfer credit prior to approval. See the back of the
 form for further transfer of credit rules.

Research: By federal law, all student research that involves any contact with human subjects or animals
 requires some level of review and approval by the Human Research Committee and/or the Animal Care
 and Use Committee prior to the research being initiated. Failure to abide by this policy can result in a
 delay in graduation and/or fulfillment of degree requirements. More information on human research is
 available at Information about animal research is at Call (303) 492-7401 for more information.

Application for Admission to Candidacy: The application is considered a legal document and must be
 signed by the student and have appropriate departmental signatures. This is considered your degree plan
 and will be verified against your records to approve your degree. Students will receive written
 notification when the application for candidacy is approved.

Final Exams: Each candidate for master degree is required to complete a comprehensive-final
  examination/thesis defense after the other requirements for the degree have been substantially
  completed, or to present an approved degree plan which meets the requirements of the field and
  represents an intellectually coherent graduate education as determined by the major department. The
  examination/defense must be scheduled, and the Graduate School notified by submission of the
  Master’s Examination Report form at least two weeks before it is held. The chair of the exam
  committee must hold a regular graduate faculty appointment. The other committee members must hold
  a regular or a special appointment. Students must be registered as a regular, degree-seeking student
  during the semester the examination is passed. The student must have an affirmative vote from the
  majority of the committee to pass.

Thesis: Masters plan I students must submit their thesis electronically, and submit a paper copy of their
 signature page, by the Graduate School’s deadline in order to graduate in any given semester. Students
 should submit the thesis electronically to, and must have an
PG 2                                                                                     Revised 2/16/12
                                                                                Graduation Packets – Info
                                                                                        Master Checklist
  approved submission by 5:00 p.m. on the deadline day. In addition, the signature page (page ii of the
  thesis) must be submitted in hard copy by 5:00 on the deadline day. The page should be created as part
  of the thesis, and later printed out. The original signatures of the chair of the committee and one other
  member must be obtained. Faxed or electronic signatures are not accepted on this document.
  Formatting specifications for the thesis can be found at The Graduate School
  recommends that a pre-check of your format be done before you submit the final version. You can
  request that by e-mailing a pdf of your thesis to

Online graduation application: Students must apply online to graduate. To do this, logon to On the Student tab, select the Apply for Graduation link under Academic
 Resources. This notifies the Graduate School and your department that you intend to graduate and it
 provides necessary information to the Commencement Office for ordering and shipping diplomas. If
 you do not complete requirements for the graduation you indicate on the online application, you must
 apply online to graduate for the new graduation date. You must apply to graduate online whether or not
 you plan to attend the ceremony.

International Students in F-1 or J-1 Status: If you are graduating beware of the following:
Grace Periods: If you plan to leave the U.S. after completing your studies you will have a grace period
  during which time you can prepare for your departure. For F-1 students, this grace period is 60 days.
  For J-1 students it is 30 days.

Employment after graduation:
 F-1 students: Apply for Optional Practical Training early in the semester that you will graduate (you
 MUST apply before graduation). Processing times usually take between 3-4 months (see
 J-1 students: Apply for Academic Training before your date of graduation. See

  Transfer students: See an advisor in *International Student and Scholar Services.

Leaving School: Graduate students who need to leave school for 1-2 semesters may participate in the
 Time Out Program (details available from the Office of the Registrar). Any semester(s) on Time Out
 are included in the time limit to complete the degree. Students who are not on Time Out and do not
 register during a given fall or spring semester will be automatically withdrawn from the University and
 must fill out an application for readmission. Students who withdraw from school permanently must do
 so formally with the Registrar’s Office.

  If you are an international student and plan to participate in Time Out or withdraw from school, please
  see an advisor at International Student and Scholar Services*.

The complete Graduate School Rules are available on our website at Students should refer to the copy in
effect when admitted to the University.

*International Student and Scholar Services is located in the basement of the Environmental Design
PG 3                                                                                    Revised 2/16/12
                                                                               Graduation Packets – Info
                                                                                       Master Checklist

To top